Single photo: 1881 Richmond Iron Mining Company mine at Meier's Corners on Staten Island

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Anything weird about this allegedly 1881 photograph titled:
  • Richmond Iron Mining Company mine at Meier's Corners on Staten Island from a company photograph taken in 1881.

Source

Timeshifter

Reactions
That horizontal thing is casting the shadow, I think.
Look at the man at the fronts shadow, opposite direction to the buildings. At least 4 of the men, most front look painted in... in fact all the mens shadows are going in opposite directions..

2 x suns 🌞🌞

Also, lots of big rocks and zero heavy lifting equipment...

Edit, i take it back, the sun is to the right. The shadow on the men is correct. You are right KD.

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Spent most of the afternoon looking for ottoman maps on Turkish websites so brain a tad mashed, however. The shadows look okay to me. The horse and cart shadow to the middle right background show the sun to be off to the right of the picture.
Obviously a 'posed' picture as everyone bar one mid ground cart driver is looking at the camera.
The ground they are digging through/have dug out doesn't look very rocky.
The horizontal wooden thing seems to be carrying a pipe or a wire. You can see it where it runs up to the wooden building on the right. Whatever it is it enters the shed so presumably there is something in that shed it connects to. The wooden support stops short of the roof.
I favour a pipe simply because there is a T coupling visible which means the building is likely being supplied with whatever is in the pipe rather than supplying something to the pipe or on the other hand the supply is coming from the contents of the shed and branching both ways.
It's always easier, quicker and cheaper to leave big boulders where they are if they are not in the way of whatever groundwork is being undertaken or lever/roll them to the side if they are.

The only weird thing to me is I cannot figure out is what the purpose of all the two wheeled one horse carts are especially as the drivers stand up in them. The two horse one looks 'more normal' but only just.
On second glance it isn't a two horse cart. The white horse is not hitched.

Last edited:

Magnetic

Reactions
You may be right the pipe connecting a water level?
Just on my laptop so my resolution of the foto is no so good...are you saying they are pipes running on top of the wooden(?) posts?

To me this looks like a leveling device. You find a spot that you are going to use as the point of reference and then you use a water level to extend that level in the direction you want to go. If you are excavating a road it keeps you on grade. to me these look like boards because of the lighting. The horizontal device going through the house shows that it is a leveling device to manage the excavation of roads and buildings.

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Just on my laptop so my resolution of the foto is no so good...are you saying they are pipes running on top of the wooden(?) posts?
Yes. Despite what the round earth theory ignores water always finds its own level and this is property is used to set a level over considerable distance and with 100% accuracy. There is either a pipe or a wire entering that shed roof in two places off the end of the wooden beam and there way well be an exposed section where the two beams from different directions meet in the middle ground. Not easy to see even on my 'massive' 7 inch eeepc screen. One day I'll fix one of the real computers knocking about this gaff, probably fix I should say!

Those little carts are early dump trucks which explains the gently rising curved ramp in the background and the 'tipping pattern' a bit further back.

Big version here

nycminerals4.jpg

Zoomed to 200% and sharpened as much as I dare.

Last edited:

Magnetic

Reactions
Yes. Despite what the round earth theory ignores water always finds its own level and this is property is used to set a level over considerable distance and with 100% accuracy. There is either a pipe or a wire entering that shed roof in two places off the end of the wooden beam and there way well be an exposed section where the two beams from different directions meet in the middle ground. Not easy to see even on my 'massive' 7 inch eeepc screen. One day I'll fix one of the real computers knocking about this gaff, probably fix I should say!

Those little carts are early dump trucks which explains the gently rising curved ramp in the background and the 'tipping pattern' a bit further back.

View attachment 18988View attachment 18989
Post automatically merged:

Big version here http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/articles/nycminerals4.jpg
Zoomed to 200% and sharpened as much as I dare.
View attachment 18994
Ya I agree!