1740: Batavia aka Jakarta, Indonesia

The founding of Batavia by the Dutch in 1619, on the site of the ruins of Jayakarta, led to the establishment of a Dutch colony; Batavia became the center of the Dutch East India Company's trading network in Asia. Monopolies on local produce were augmented by non-indigenous cash crops. To safeguard their commercial interests, the company and the colonial administration absorbed surrounding territory.
  • The population of the Dutch Republic in 1700 was 1,794,000 people. Allegedly, of course. And where is Indonesia? Yup, 7k miles as the crow flies. What do them Dutch do? They go, and they conquer Indonesia. Right? With how many people they do that?
7k miles: Amsterdam to Jakarta
amsterdam_jakarta.jpg

Jakarta is Indonesia's capital and largest city. Historical evidence from Jakarta dates back to the 4th century CE, when it was a Hindu settlement and port. The city has been sequentially claimed by the Indianized kingdom of Tarumanegara, the Hindu Kingdom of Sunda, the Muslim Sultanate of Banten, and by Dutch, Japanese and Indonesian administrations.
  • The Dutch East Indies built up the area before it was taken during World War II by the Empire of Japan and finally became independent as part of Indonesia.
And built up them Dutch did. Check out our Batavia/Jakarta in the following years.

Them Dutch had to be some outstanding individuals. Travel the world, conquer and build had to be their Motto. Anyways, here we have a few depictions of the future Jakarta.

Batavia between 1675 and 1725
Iacatra_year_1605-1608_drawn1675-1725.jpg

Source

1280px-Tableau_de_la_Partie_de_Batavia,_ou_s'est_fait_proprement_le_terrible_Massacre_des_Chin...jpg

Source

Ville_de_Batavia_c1780.jpg

Source

KD: One has to appreciate all of them canals them Dutch dug out in Indonesia, as well as all of them buildings they built 7k miles away from home.

Or may be we should start paying closer attention to this downplayed locality called Jayakarta?

I made a little "official" chronology of the main events.
  • 5th century The area of North Jakarta around Tugu became a populated settlement in the early 5th century King Purnawarman of Tarumanagara undertook water projects; the irrigation and drainage project for the Chandrabhaga River and the Gomati River near its capital.
  • After the decline of Tarumanagara, its territories, including the Jakarta area, became part of the Hindu Kingdom of Sunda.
HB: The only kingdom that I could see on the oldest maps, was only that of Sunda.

1450 Fra Mauro
1450 fra mauro sondai.jpg

1587 Urbano Monte
1587 urbano monte sandar.jpg

1623 Mercator y Hondius
1623 mercator y hondius sunda.jpg

In the following maps, Batavia is already beginning to appear.

1677 Du Val, Pierre
1677 Du Val, Pierre sunde.jpg

1702 Willdey, George
1702 Willdey, George batavia sunde.jpg

Aro are named the Islands of Sunda, of that first Hindu kingdom.

1714 Willdey, George
1714 Willdey, George batavia islas de sunda.jpg

1732 batavia.png2.jpg

Today, Sunda Islands
islas sunda hoy dia y yakarta.jpg
  • 1513 Four Portuguese ships from Malacca, arrived in 1513 while looking for a route for spices.
  • 1522 The Kingdom of Sunda made a treaty of alliance with the Portuguese allowing them to build a port in 1522 to defend themselves from the growing power of the Demak Sultanate from central Java.
  • 1527, Fatahillah, a Javanese general from Demak attacked and conquered Sunda Kelapa, expelling the Portuguese. Sunda Kelapa was renamed Jayakarta and became a fiefdom of the Banten Sultanate
  • 1596 Through the relationship with Prince Jayawikarta of the Banten Sultanate, the Dutch ships arrived in 1596.
  • 1605 the Dutch had seized the first of the Portuguese forts there in 1605.
  • 1610 Prince Jayawikarta gave Dutch merchants permission to build a lumberyard and houses on the east bank of the Ciliwung River opposite Jayakarta, and the outpost was established the following year. As Dutch power increased, Jayawikarta allowed the English to build houses on the western bank of the Ciliwung and a fort near its customs office to maintain a balance of power. The Dutch garrison commander Pieter van den Broecke and five other men were arrested during the negotiations, as Jayawikarta believed that he had been misled by the Dutch. Jayawikarta and the English then forged an alliance.
  • 1619 The Dutch army was about to surrender to the English when, in 1619, the Sultanate of Banten sent a group of soldiers to summon Jayawikarta. Jayawikarta's agreement with the English had not been approved by the Bantean authorities. The conflict between Banten and Jayawikarta and the strained relationship between Banten and the English provided a new opportunity for the Dutch. Coen returned from the Moluccas with reinforcements on May 28, 1619, devastating Jayakarta two days later and expelling its population.
  • 1619 The region that became Batavia came under Dutch control in 1619, initially as an expansion of the original Dutch fort and a new building on the ruins of ancient Jayakarta. Coen decided to expand the original fort into a larger fortress on July 2, 1619, and sent plans for Batavia Castle to the Netherlands on October 7 of that year. The castle was larger than the previous one, with two northern bastions that protected it from a maritime attack. The warehouses of Nassau and Mauritius were expanded with the construction of an extension of the eastern fort, overseen by Major Van Raay, on March 12, 1619.
  • 1621 Batavia was chosen as the new name for the fort and settlement, and a naming ceremony was held on January 18, 1621. It is named after the Germanic Batavi tribe, which inhabited the Batavia region during the Roman Empire; At the time, the tribe was believed to be the ancestors of the Dutch people. Jayakarta was called Batavia for more than 300 years.
HB: By 1627 they had already built all this according to a wiki image. Only 7 years after the Batavia naming ceremony. and another from 1667.

1627 COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Reproductie_van_een_plattegrond_van_Batavia_uit_circa_1627.jpg

1667 COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Kaart_voorstellende_het_Kasteel_en_de_Stad_Batavia_in_het_jaar_166...jpg

1719 vista de batavia.jpg 1732 batavia hghghg.jpg
What do you think of all this Korben? The name Sunda appears more times on old maps, then Batavia arrives, until today I see Jayakarta.
Without a doubt it is a very fast Betavia construction.

They again made a conflict between the Dutch and the English as a step in Manhattan.

Here it would be interesting to apply the theory of Fomenko and his "Ghost" time. Anatoly Fomenko, who after studying the written history of most of the countries of the world with the methods of mathematical statistics, came to the conclusion that the history of many peoples is artificially lengthened.

I am surprised that the name China does not even appear on Fra Mauro's map, there are only those of Cathay and Serica, if I could see Canton and Quinsay. However, these people from Cathaio seem to rule this entire area, ancient Manchuria, China, Mongolia, today. and they seem to be other types of people, like those that appear in Marco Polo's illustrations.

Sources and Links:

Last edited:
I think the original founders of your find might have been the contemporaries of the Taprobana Island.

Licating any uncorrupted info on your Sunda could be very rewarding. One would not have to be a genius to figure out that we are dealing with the previous highly educated spin of our civilization. Unfortunately. The info is super scarce, and the PTB have their bases covered:

You see how we are being played?
  • Old map of Java still thought that land of Sunda in the west is separated from the rest of Java island.
  • Here the capital of Sunda is called Daio which refer to Dayeuh Pakuan Pajajaran.
Chances are, this canal really did exist at some point. If it was not natural, we could be talking about a pretty advanced society.
  • Assuming that this canal was real, where did it go?
Java-Map.jpg

We could search for some older texts on Bantam and Daio, methinks. The narrative was not finalized right away, hence, there could be some interesting info there.

jakarta.jpg

Map
@Right Arm could have some info on the star fort you @HELLBOY found. Here is another plan of the fort.

batavia.jpg

Source
Of course, the Dutch are being credited.

batavia-text-1.jpg

Flags: Jakarta vs. Batavia
jakarta-batavia-flags.jpg

Source + Source

I have looked for traces of this fort before and there is none, i have even gone in to google maps along the Cilliwung river to look for a wall in the hope of locating but there is nothing, very strange as there is usually at least an outline left from such structures.

I would usually put a pin on my map where it used to be but i have not been able to do that and nor have any of the maps that i have incorporated into mine.

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 21.29.34.jpg

Scrap that, I have found(founded) it.

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 21.51.10.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 21.50.52.jpg

Very strange area, the older buildings.

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 21.52.25.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 21.58.17.jpg

That I would guess are part of the fort look to be submerged and the fort has a very low wall now!

Well, here's what Simon says and shows:
  • Batavia Castle was a fort located at the mouth of Ciliwung River in Jakarta.
Map_of_Fort_Jacatra.jpg

@HELLBOY has a better depiction above, but here is a similar one.

Indonesia_Java_Plan de la Ville et du Chateau de Batavia_K__master.jpg

Source

Google Maps brings us to this location for the Ciliwung River. In there we have Kastil Batavia. I think some star shapes can still be traced there.
  • They definitely did some major landscaping, or may be the Nature did.
batavia-castle-1.jpg

batavia-castle-3.jpg

Looks like some of the walls are still there.
  • The coconut port was one of the 3 major ports belonging to the Sunda kingdom at that time. namely Banten, Kelapa, and Cirebon.
  • After the conquest of Kelapa by Fatahillah, the Sundanese work was destroyed by Banten troops and the palace was burned down, a few years later the ruins of the palace were drowned by the eruption of Mount Salak.
  • What remained of the Sundanese kingdom was an empty field covered in mountain sand.
batavia-castle-2.jpg

I have a question. These starforf for their locations near the river, perhaps they were a kind of desalination plants?
I know it might sound crazy but sometimes I wonder, find out the following about the desalination process.
  • Hot salt water flows along one side of a porous membrane, while cold fresh water flows along the other side. The result is that the water vapor goes from the hot side to the cold side. But engineers improved this technology with engineered nanoparticles, which can convert sunlight into heat.
  • Researchers have developed a method to obtain fresh water from salt water using only solar energy. This could be a breakthrough in desalination techniques.
  • Currently, removing salt from water is very expensive. There are 18,000 desalination plants in 150 countries, and what they do is basically boil the water and capture the condensed steam to use as drinking water. Half of the costs of one of these facilities comes from its energy needs, due to the enormous amount of heat that is needed for this process.
  • This is how they convert salt water into fresh water with solar energy.
1111.jpg

Back