Single painting: Interior of a Gothic Cathedral (1612)

anotherlayer

Reactions
Hows come we never see early paintings of churches filled with uncomfortable wooden pews? And where are those bells they keep on the altar to ring so you don't fall asleep? Because man, churches are painfully uncomfortable for such magnificent surroundings.

Interior of a Gothic Cathedral
Paul Vredeman de Vries
Holland, 1612
Paintings: Oil on wood
Gift of William Randolph Hearst (49.17.5)

Perspective drawing for Church of Santo Spirito in Florence
Filippo Brunelleschi
Date: c.1428; Italy

Old St. Peter's Basilica, Rome
Giovanni Ciampini
De sacris aedificiis a Constantino Magno constructis: synopsis historica, 1693
The second image is a modern CGI recreation
Ok, that's about all I can find. I double dog dare you to try and find more. What's the big idea? It just feels (again) that we just moved into these places. We jammed some images of bloody Jesus on the marble pillars, crafted up some very primitive, but nicely carved wooden pews and basically froze our asses off at all times of the year.

I don't think I am asking for much. Paintings of church patrons should have been a wonderful promotional tool for the religious. Hey look, everybody hangs out at the church, spaghetti dinner on Sunday at 3pm, don't miss out on the free wine! Sup? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Ok, that's about all I can find. I double dog dare you to try and find more. What's the big idea? It just feels (again) that we just moved into these places. We jammed some images of bloody Jesus on the marble pillars, crafted up some very primitive, but nicely carved wooden pews and basically froze our asses off at all times of the year.
Couldn't agree more. The sheer scale of the "people vs. structure" mismatch is mesmerizing.

Ice Nine

Reactions
Excellent point @anotherlayer, we never see anyplace for people to sit. And really nothing will convince me that Cathedrals like these were made for the little people, us.

I've studied Vermeer a lot, which of course made me check out a lot of other Dutch Masters. They really liked painting and drawing church interiors.
Dutch Church interiors

I do subscribe to the idea that they were using a Camera obscura back then.

jd755

Reactions
Maybe there were no such things as congregations back in 'the day'
Those who did turn up knelt on the floor as did a lot of the clergy.
I feel the church has always over egged its importance. All the abbey's I've been in are cathedrals in all but name. All these massive constructions built dating to who knows when just for a few monks to find god in, makes no sense.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
That’s for a different thread, but considering that we are talking about cathedrals...

Look for an old sketches of star-cities and star-forts. There will be a group off those stars with one of the star points directly aimed at a cathedral. Sometimes you will have 4-5 of those stars and its interesting to see how 4-5 lines meet on some cathedral. Electricity related?

That’s for those who feel like picking up the research. Please do not discuss the mentioned below in this thread.

BrokenAgate

Reactions
Massive pillars, huge soaring arches, ceilings so high even the spiders get nosebleeds...These places were made for people at least 12 feet tall!