"Renaissance" Art really made in 15th century?

noblewish

A while ago, I went to an exhibition of Andrea Della Robia, an Italian renaissance artist, at the National Gallery in DC. Allegedly his work was made in the 15th century (he is purported to have lived 1435-1525 AD). However, when I saw his work, I was baffled. It looks as though it was recently made, not something from 500 some years ago! How has his "work" been kept in such pristine condition? I would like to point out this is glazed terra cotta, meaning clay. It is not marble or some hard stone. Which means it is very easy to break. Yet the majority of the pieces in this collection are in amazing, "brand new" condition. Are we really expected to believe, that some Italian dude made all this long, long time ago, and someone amazingly kept it well preserved for 500 years? Without any aging, loss of color, or cracks?

20170317_132851.jpg 20170317_132901.jpg 20170317_132913.jpg 20170317_132920.jpg 20170317_132928.jpg 20170317_132943.jpg 20170317_133116.jpg 20170317_133054.jpg 20170317_133213.jpg 20170317_133232.jpg 20170317_133317.jpg 20170317_133133.jpg 20170317_133140.jpg

whitewave

I don't understand the mythology or story behind this one. Who is this two-faced snake handler and what's in their right hand?

whitewave

They tried to teach us mythology in high school but the few stories I paid attention to just made me wonder what kind of "gods" these meanies were. They all sounded entirely too human to me with their familial in-fighting, jealousies and other undesirable human traits. Never got around to learning about Prudence so thanks for educating me on that. Why does she have a man's face on the back of her head? I assume she's holding some sort of mirror? I know I always put on my makeup while holding a snake. :)

parta

They tried to teach us mythology in high school but the few stories I paid attention to just made me wonder what kind of "gods" these meanies were. They all sounded entirely too human to me with their familial in-fighting, jealousies and other undesirable human traits. Never got around to learning about Prudence so thanks for educating me on that. Why does she have a man's face on the back of her head? I assume she's holding some sort of mirror? I know I always put on my makeup while holding a snake. :)
last year my daughter was given the choice of a mythological figure to write an essay on. had to include what impact they might have on today. she chose oceanus and her high-school teacher had to look him up as he had never heard of him and did so in front of the class. i wondered how that man might mark that essay for that kid considering. she forgot to indent a paragraph so she only got 99%. he was a smart man i guess.

whitewave

She's lucky to have such a smart parent as yourself. My parents just told me to "quit asking so many questions" and "go watch tv" (or go play in traffic-lol).
So much of the Renaissance doesn't make sense to me. You've got these spectacular works of art, boom in architecture, intellectual explosion and so on which doesn't much mesh with the draped-in-rags-to-hide-your-plague-symptoms, starving, illiterate, bathe-once-a-year masses emptying their chamber pots out the windows into the streets that we've been taught. Did we even HAVE a Renaissance or were the wretched, disease-infested, filthy, illiterate peasants simply the survivors of some catastrophe? And how would the Elite knowledge-keepers have managed to survive so well? Did they CAUSE the catastrophe?

parta

She's lucky to have such a smart parent as yourself. My parents just told me to "quit asking so many questions" and "go watch tv" (or go play in traffic-lol).
it was my father. he had waaay too much time on his hands. he would let the kids sleep for 2 days after school ended then they were off on his adventures that they enabled. they got back 3 days before school started so they could sleep.

humanoidlord

just speculating here but maybe they were stored in a secure place to avoid the paint peeling off?

OP
OP
noblewish

noblewish

just speculating here but maybe they were stored in a secure place to avoid the paint peeling off?
Thanks for your feedback. These works are not painted, they are glazed. It is difficult to believe that they were kept in any one spot for 500 years and maintained in such pristine condition for that long. It would make more sense if these pieces were much more contemporary, say 100 or at most 200 years old, if not even more recent or even quite possibly just outright forgeries. Even if they were kept safe that long, everything ages. These pieces show very little wear. It also doesn't make sense. Artwork is made to be displayed. If they are originals, they should have been "used" as in they would have been displayed by the patrons who commissioned these works. Not stowed away in some secret private vault for "safekeeping" right after being made.

It is also amazing to me that so many pieces of this collection were in such good condition. I didn't post the whole collection; there were many pieces. And all of them were allegedly made by the same person.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I think we need to stop stretching our brains trying to explain what is obviously suspicious. Of course once in a blue moon weird things happen. Everything else is probably folling within our everyday observations, and expectations.

If our regular things fade within an observable timeframe, explaining 400 year old, or 40,000 year old exceptionally preserved items with some high tech ancient paint, or some other excuse will only take us as far as all the other conventiinal explanations. Into the land of copper chisels building pyramids.