Raising the Obelisks at Luxor temple.

CyborgNinja

Reactions
luxorTemple CGI.jpg

British engineer Steven Tasker proposes some very practical methods for erecting many of the structures in Egypt. His explanations focus on fulcrum lever and pulley systems. Bare in mind these methods do not explain all the engineering feats found in Egypt, simply the more recent ones. These methods could have been employed by the newer Egyptian dynasty of the New Kingdom. Those who came after the great ones and attempted to recreate the marvels around them with the same means available to us today.

One Egyptian site in particular that Mr Tasker draws attention to is the obelisks of the temple of Luxor. In particular a feature of the building seen here...

Luxor Temple 1.JPGLuxor Temple slots.jpg
Luxor, Egypt.
Mr Tasker suggests that these wall slots were not ornamental but used by the architects to to erect the obelisks. Quite clever if you ask me.

Luxor Gif 1.gifLuxor Gif 2.gif
Steven Tasker scale model.
While conducting his experiments with the model Tasker encountered several problems related to the obelisk at a certain point in its elevation becoming wedged within the frame and making it impossible to continue adding logs to gain height. He decided that a small wedge or block was needed to be placed between the obelisk and the logs below to allow room for the obelisk to shift and allow space for the workers to introduce more packing logs as time went on.

Pivot wedge.jpg

The wedge was an inelegant solution so what he decided was needed was to reshape curved sides into the obelisk rather than lodging a pivot wedge underneath like he originally thought.

Curved obelisk face.jpg
Upon further research Tasker found that indeed the obelisks found at Luxor do infact have this feature of curved sides. Not necessary if the creator simply wanted to use the face of the obelisk for engraving, actually curved sides would be counter productive to engraving work surely. These small details help to support Taskers theory. I think.

Luxor Gif 3.gif
Final stage of erecting the Obelisk.

Lets take a second to look at the reconstruction sketches drawn of Luxor. Originally there had been two Obelisks at the entrance but one was spirited away by the French in the early 1800's. Artists have decided that the slots in the wall were used to house flag poles it would seem. Perhaps at a later stage but the idea that these served a more practical purpose just makes more sense to me.
Luxor temple reconstruction.jpgObelisks-reconstruction.jpgpylon Luxor Egypt reconsrution.gif
Here we see more wall slots further into the inner sanctum but no obelisks. The statues seen here however are positioned in the correct place to suggest they two were erected using this fulcrum method. The statues may have been brought to the site lying down and then lifted into position in the same way Tasker uses to describe the obelisks. Potentially.

temple-of-ramses-ii-abydos.jpgDiagram.jpg
Were the statues erected using the wall slots as well?

One last thing, I did want to talk about the moving of the right hand obelisk to Paris by the French. The first mention of this I ever heard of was from a book Talisman by Graham Hancock and Robert Buvaul. The book has since been revised and renamed but it essentially described a fledgling group of Freemasons establishing themselves in 18th century France and then sending an expedition to Egypt to retrieve/ steal/ take/ commandeered/ gifted one of these magnificent artifacts of the ancient culture whose secrets they had been wholly obsessed with. The English got wind of this and did something similar 30 years later with the needle of Cleopatra.

Raising_the_obelisk.jpgParis_France Luxor Obelisk.jpg
CN Summary: I find Mr Taskers theory rather interesting and outside the box. Its simple and it just works. Although this may well have been the method used to erect these smaller scale obelisks, I do not consider that this was the only technique used as there are many anomalous columns found through out Europe, St Petersburg for example, that don't seem likely to have employed this method. Based on their share weight and size. Just anecdotally about the French extraction of the Luxor Obelisk:

Given the technical limitations of the day, transporting it was no easy feat: The French government ordered a purpose-built seagoing lighter built by the Toulon naval yard; this 49 metres long, flat bottomed, three masted ship named the Louqsor was sailed up the Nile to Luxor where 300 workmen dug a canal to allow the ship to come close to the obelisk. The French seamen then lowered the obelisk with an array of blocks and tackles, yardarms and capstans. The re-erection of the obelisk on the Place de la Concorde during a ceremony carefully planned by King Louis-Philippe I was no mean engineering feat either. This successful French transport operation predates the eventful transport of "Cleopatra's Needle" by the British by more than thirty years.
luxor-egypt-anubis.jpgLuxor excavations.jpgCultural layer.jpg

Not sure when these photos were taken, sometime in the early 1900's for sure though. You can see a very high level of compacted sediment around the site and a channel dug away, I'm assuming dug by the French all those years ago to release the obelisk. It it note worthy that the amount of sediment seems similar to that found in Europe, especially St Petersburg. That most recent cataclysm sure dumped alot of soil ontop of everything back then. Consistently it looks to be a couple of meters high globally but can be deeper in places for particular reasons. This was a combination of flood waters and huge hail storms of sediment. If you consider that this is a New Kingdom site and the sediment level matches that which we see around Renaissance buildings in Europe, wouldn't that mean that what we consider to be "Old Egypt" with their Pharaohs and temple buildings was only 300 years ago give or take. I'd don't know about you guys but I like to think so.

Many thanks to Mr Steven Tasker for his hard work.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
This Mr. Tasker sure knows how to pay attention, and think outside of the box. Simultaneously it’s a tribute to how much BS we are being fed through the officials channels. Referencing those “flag mounts”, I am. This is how pseudoscientific fantasies get into our school books.

I will play a bit of a devil’s advicate though. What are your thoughts on this method of raising stuff being (while no doubt ingenious) rather primitive in nature when compared to the complexity of the nearby structures.

And of course we cannot make a step without running into some proof of the mud flood.

Also in reference to the Needle of Cleopatra. I have read recently, that the capsule it allegedly was transported to London in was not big enough. As in it would have sunk were they to put that specific obelisk inside. Additionally, the obelisk itself is deteriorating rather quickly. This, in conjunction with its highly controversial transportation method, prompted some suggestions that the obelisk was fake. I guess the one taken by the Americans is not deteriorating.

OP
CyborgNinja

CyborgNinja

Reactions
What are your thoughts on this method of raising stuff being (while no doubt ingenious) rather primitive in nature when compared to the complexity of the nearby structures.
So Mr Tasker is approaching this problem from a very conventional point of view and he had found a workable result without any need for hypothetical technologies or anything. This doesn't necessarily mean that super tech building machines and geopolymer dont exist. Just that this site specifically was done by people no different from us in terms of capability. Therefore that would place this constriction into a vastly more recent time period.

Simply. Advanced building tech is possibly, this site specifically may not have need it.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I believe this painting is attributed to 1800. It shows nicely the amount of sediment in the area. Same with what we have in all the other places.

Luxor_Temple_Obelisks.JPG

humanoidlord

Reactions
this theory indeed makes sense, also flag poles, seriously? i din't even know they had those back then

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Yup, finding out the true purpose of going the length in the 19th century to erect those in the US and UK would be interesting.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I don’t see how two stone pillars could relate to the atmospheric electricity. Besides, I have my personal suspicions that the UK one is a fake.

May be they were installed as markers for someone we are not aware about.

humanoidlord

Reactions
I don’t see how two stone pillars could relate to the atmospheric electricity. Besides, I have my personal suspicions that the UK one is a fake.

May be they were installed as markers for someone we are not aware about.
just look at the golden top, 100% atmospheric eletricity

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RowOfEleven Mud Flood and Dust Storm Hypotheses 35