Proposed Building for the New York American

Skydog

Reactions
Below is a drawing of the proposed building for the New York American - located at 58th Street and Broadway, the Circle, New York City. Barney and Chapman Architects.

9332325B-9537-40DE-8C0B-06522C4A1DD3.jpeg

From Wikipedia: Barney and Chapman was an American architecture firm based in New York, active from about 1892 through 1908. The partnership designed significant municipal buildings, churches, private estates, and an asylum complex for the state of New York.
[SD - if the description above isn’t a dead giveaway that this firm resides on BS Island then I don’t know what is].

Full Disclosure - This drawing was one of the main focal points of Jon Levi’s latest (and consistently stellar) YouTube offerings [We Know Nothing / Fact or Fiction (Land of Giants)] - link to video provided below:

Jon poses the remarkable question of whether or not this is actually: 1) a proposed building; or 2) a building that actually existed?

I won’t repeat Jon’s observations here (clearly favoring the latter) as his fervent criticism of the absurd is as righteous and condescendingly deadpan as ever.

Given this is one of the more egregious falsehoods that big history has crammed down our collective throats, I thought I’d highlight a few more of the anomalies that smacked any remaining taste of reasonableness right out of my mouth:

1) Crooked Roman columns at the base of the structure. Really? Right out of the gate they can’t get these straight?

2) Height of the building - I couldn’t pinpoint the year of the drawing, but given Barney and Chapman’s 16-year glorious reign of make-believe was allegedly between 1892-1908, this towering behemoth would have run into the same questionable elevator technology and plumbing altitude issues that we struggle with understanding on other glorious impossibilities of the day such as The Singer Building in NYC.

3) Mr. Levi already hit the nail on the head with the extremely weathered and old aged appearance of these supposedly new construction buildings, but I mean come on now, the derelict decrepit depiction of this once beautiful now disaster is an insult to the word “new” to the highest degree.

LndShrk

Reactions
As far as the crooked Roman columns at the base, even today it’s common to walk around manhattan and see modern sky scrapers built up around the facade of an older 2 or 3 story building. The ones standing today have an Art Deco foundation.

OP
Skydog

Skydog

Reactions
As far as the crooked Roman columns at the base, even today it’s common to walk around manhattan and see modern sky scrapers built up around the facade of an older 2 or 3 story building. The ones standing today have an Art Deco foundation.
Interesting point - but is it common for drawings of proposed buildings to feature crooked columns in these instances? Or is it just the reality of the situation once they are actually built?