Ruins of 1879 Union Mine Shaft in Nevada. Underground city?

Allegedly, this photograph was taken in 1947. What we see here are the Ruins of Union Mine Shaft in Nevada. A mine shaft photographed in 1947 normally would not end up being something exciting. Yet, take a good look at this photograph. Unfortunately, this is the best quality photograph I was able to find.

A quick search produced the following, "Union Mine is a past producer vein deposit site discovered after 1879 in the Intermontane Plateaus of Nevada, The United States. It is a medium deposit, located in the Comstock Lode mining district and is not considered to be of world-class significance.

Silver, copper, and zinc deposits are documented at "Union Mine." Silver is present at a grade sufficient to have a strong effect on the economics of an excavation project. It may even be viable as the only commodity mined. Copper can be economically recovered from this site but would have little effect on the viability of the mining project. The zinc at this site is economically interesting but not currently recoverable.

This deposit has operated in the past as a medium scale production but was closed at the time it was surveyed. There were no known plans to reopen it. The most important method or feature used in the discovery of economic minerals at this site was ore-mineral in place. Production at "Union Mine" began in 1879."

Ruins of Union Mine Shaft Virginia City_1.jpg

"Union Mine" in Storey, NV, Silver Vein, Discovered in 1879
Virginia City and Gold Hill | ONE
Virginia City Travel Guide from the Nevada Travel Network

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this mine appears to look very differently from other (regular) 19th century mines we can find on the internet.

To me it appears to be a part of some huge buried structure.

Additionally when we look at the contemporary pictures of the Combination mine shaft, a nearby old closed mine in Nevada, we see that the rocks appear to be free stacked.

Combination_Shaft,_Virginia_City.jpg

Separately, Virginia City, NV is an interesting city in itself. With current population of something like 900 people, it used to have about 10k back in the 19th century. And while, in my opinion, there is not much info about the true history, or the state of affairs in Virginia City in 1870s, some surviving images of its architecture, are fairly telling.

Knights Templar
knights_templar_virginia_city_1.jpg

internationalhotel1876-virginia_city.jpg Old Court House Virginia City, Nevada Built in 1876.jpg RPPC-Virginia-City-NV-Court-House-Nevada-Vintage.jpg St. Mary's in the Mountains, Virginia City.jpg
original-featured-comstock-lode.jpg

Courtesy of BStankman, we have this photograph of Ulysses S Grant and Co. visiting Virginia City in 1879. What was he really doing there?

Virginia_City_NV_Grant_1879_11022.jpg

As far as I know, there was an Egypt related story pertaining to an Ancient Egyptian cave inside the Grand Canyon.

In the above picture we have Governor John Henry Kinkead, "John Henry Kinkead (1826 – 1904) was an American businessman and politician who served as the third Governor of Nevada and the first Governor of the District of Alaska. Spending most of his life in the dry goods business, he was also Treasurer of Nevada Territory, a member of the Nevada Constitutional convention, and the first United States official to hold office in Alaska."

Excerpts from the Ancient Egyptian cave inside the Grand Canyon article.
  • Though the article was anonymous, it did identify some of the archaeologists involved: “under the direction of Prof. S. A. Jordan”, with Smithsonian-backed adventurer G. E. Kinkaid, who then relates his findings.
  • But the story gets weirder when the Smithsonian stated that it had no Kinkaid or Jordan on record. In one enquiry from 2000, the institution replied: “The Smithsonian Institution has received many questions about an article in the April 5, 1909 Phoenix Gazette about G. E. Kinkaid and his discovery of a ‘great underground citadel’ in the Grand Canyon, hewn by an ancient race ‘of oriental origin, possibly from Egypt.’ […] The Smithsonian’s Department of Anthropology, has searched its files without finding any mention of a Professor Jordan, Kinkaid, or a lost Egyptian civilization in Arizona. Nevertheless, the story continues to be repeated in books and articles.”
Could this John Henry be our missing G. E. Kinkead. Of course J.H. Died in 1904, and the "ancient Egyptian" Grand Canyon cave was not discovered until 1909, but... could J.H. be from the same Kinkaid amily.

grand canyon egyptians 2.jpg

KD: Anyways, just wanted to get your opinion. To me it looks like there is something left unsaid. What were they digging for in there? Are they hiding a buried underground city in Nevada?

Similar articles

Back