Pre-1857 King's boat in the shape of a fish. What kind of ship is this?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I came up on an image of this bizarre ship. I have never seen a ship like this. The image is titled, "King's Boat in the Shape of a Fish".

The article "Home Away From Home" suggests that the wooden hull was covered with scales made of silver.

The boat allegedly belonged to Wajid Ali Shah, the last Nawab of Awadh. His last ruling days were in 1856.

Wajid Ali Shah_1.png Wajid Ali Shah_2.jpg

The image is related to the Indian Revolt (aka Sepoy Mutiny) of 1857. The image is dated 1858-1862. The ship looks banged up and abandoned.

What kind of ship is this? What do you think it's made of? What do you think about those scales, and fins? Could those be made of some type of metal?

The ship appears to have a rudder. It looks like it has a sliding door. Also there are two mermaid-like statues closer to the front. And it appears that the ship is missing its front, though I'm not sure about that.

It does not appear that this ship was designed to use oars, or sails.

By the way, our Jules Verne's Captain Nemo was directly related to this 1857 Sepoy Mutiny.

captain_nemo.png

King's Boat in the Shape of a Fish
Sunk in Gumpti river.
(the first image 4125 × 3327)

India_boat_1857_2.jpg India_boat_1857_1.jpeg India_boat_1857.jpg
Source: Palace Chattar Manzil

So, what do you think this boat was? What powered her forward?

Interesting that there is no information on who built it, or when it was built.

P.S. Nice pre-1858 "Indian" architecture in the background.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
They had a movie about a 1000 foot Godzilla running around New York in 1995. Another one - Land of the Pharaohs - is a movie explaining how they built Egyptian Pyramids with copper chisels thousands of years ago. They knew how to build back then.

pyramid_building.jpg

And this article "Home Away From Home" suggests that the wooden hull was covered with scales made of silver. And between the lines it suggests that everyone, including those poor folk in the picture, was too dumb to figure it out. So it’s just sitting there waiting on somebody smart to strip it of its riches. Nobody did, so it just sunk instead.

Robert Home
robert_home.jpg
1752-1834
A paragraph where the author assumes that similar windows could be on the other side as well means that all we have is this picture. All the author had was this picture. Which inadvertently means that there is no documentation, or any other meaningful sources for this boat. It was propelled by what?

parta

of course the connection to godzilla would be fish. i get it.

from your article "fish-shaped pleasure boat "made of cedar, for the harem ladies, covered with scales of silver, each the size of a rupee though not so thick. "
cedar, fish, silver and harem ladies. is there a connection? maybe they were the mermaids from the arms.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I think nobody knows what it is. Just a bunch of speculations. The article suggests that it could have been built prior to this Home guy dying. He died in 1834.

It's not made to run a sail, it has no oar setup.
What powered it? An electric motor?

humanoidlord

They had a movie about a 1000 foot Godzilla running around New York in 1995. Another one - Land of the Pharaohs - is a movie explaining how they built Egyptian Pyramids with copper chisels thousands of years ago. They knew how to build back then.

And this article "Home Away From Home" suggests that the wooden hull was covered with scales made of silver. And between the lines it suggests that everyone, including those poor folk in the picture, was too dumb to figure it out. So it’s just sitting there waiting on somebody smart to strip it of its riches. Nobody did, so it just sunk instead.

Robert Home
View attachment 4516
1752-1834
A paragraph where the author assumes that similar windows could be on the other side as well means that all we have is this picture. All the author had was this picture. Which inadvertently means that there is no documentation, or any other meaningful sources for this boat. It was propelled by what?
nice find, if it wasn't for that article, i thought the scales were made from wood, this makes it a bit weirder, how nobody cared about it is very weird, like they thought something important about it

parta

I think nobody knows what it is. Just a bunch of speculations. The article suggests that it could have been built prior to this Home guy dying. He died in 1834.

It's not made to run a sail, it has no oar setup.
What powered it? An electric motor?
sails?
fishboat.jpg

to me the holes in the stern and bow would be plenty for oarsmen

26314977-varanasi-india-dec-11-people-cross-the-river-ganges-on-a-ferry-on-december-11-2011-in...jpg

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Hypothetically everything is possible. It could have been pulled by another boat.

On the ship at hand we see no area on top designed for mounting a mast. As far as giving this silverclad ship 4 rowers... not sure it makes sense.

oared_sub.JPG rudolf_donath.jpg
The only fact here is that we have a single locatable picture of this ship, and no informative textual description, no documentation.

It's almost like the British found nothing unusual in this boat in 1857, and just marched by. If it indeed was silver covering her from top to bottom, it becomes just that much more unrealistic.

I came up on an image of this bizarre ship. I have never seen a ship like this. The image is titled, "King's Boat in the Shape of a Fish".

The boat allegedly belonged to Wajid Ali Shah, the last Nawab of Awadh. His last ruling days were in 1856.

The image is related to the Indian Revolt (aka Sepoy Mutiny) of 1857. The image is dated 1858-1862. The ship looks banged up and abandoned.

What kind of ship is this? What do you think it's made of? What do you think about those scales, and fins? Could those be made of some type of metal?

The ship appears to have a rudder. It looks like it has a sliding door. Also there are two mermaid-like statues closer to the front. And it appears that the ship is missing its front, though I'm not sure about that.

It does not appear that this ship was designed to use oars, or sails.

By the way, our Jules Verne's Captain Nemo was directly related to this 1857 Sepoy Mutiny.

King's Boat in the Shape of a Fish
Sunk in Gumpti river.
(the first image 4125 × 3327)

View attachment 4511 View attachment 4510 View attachment 4509
Source: Palace Chattar Manzil

So, what do you think this boat was? What powered her forward?

Interesting that there is no information on who built it, or when it was built.

P.S. Nice pre-1858 "Indian" architecture in the background.
Buildings in the background seem to be drawn.

AiahAvezred

So 1858? I'll buy the date. Look at the buildings. Completley covered in decades of filth; the one on the ledt edge has the finish falling off. How old are they? Now really look the ones in the background look like theyve been bombed to hell, the whole area looks like the aftermath of WW2. What bombs did the have and what war was this? The closest i can find to the time that would warrant large boats and that much water is 1799. And what did they have then? Canon? To destroy that building in the back. And whats with the sunken ship? And the other dilapidated boats?

Another thing. Population of india in 1850 was 260 million, and there's definitley only 3 people in that photo(5 if you count the 2 really blurry fisherman in the back right).

This photograph says alot if you look.

parta

So 1858? I'll buy the date. Look at the buildings. Completley covered in decades of filth; the one on the ledt edge has the finish falling off. How old are they? Now really look the ones in the background look like theyve been bombed to hell, the whole area looks like the aftermath of WW2. What bombs did the have and what war was this? The closest i can find to the time that would warrant large boats and that much water is 1799. And what did they have then? Canon? To destroy that building in the back. And whats with the sunken ship? And the other dilapidated boats?

Another thing. Population of india in 1850 was 260 million, and there's definitley only 3 people in that photo(5 if you count the 2 really blurry fisherman in the back right).

This photograph says alot if you look.
probably taken after the siege of Lucknow and the Indian Rebellion

It looks like the scales were painted on. Idk how big a rupee was, but these scales are of varying size and they seem to fold up and onto the window moldings. The damage or weathering isn't consistent with scales, either. Maybe a metal foil skin on top of a wicker/woven substrate. Who knows? I believe its futile to try re-imagining the inventions of another man.

The reason we don't really see stuff like this anymore is because a rich man with money to burn doesn't have to commission it from out of nowhere. He can just buy a passenger submarine from a sub manufacturer. If Dubai suddenly had to defend itself against the Russians we'd probably see them outfitting these with weapons.

Don't it just spin round that whisker and pull itself along in the shallows? Maybe some kinda wheeliegig on the back in the water?

A littoral pleasure vessel.

Crazy picture though. Check out that ship barricade.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas
With their humid subtropical climate unless they had an AC unit inside this ship, there had to be very little pleasure involved. Especially considering those four hypothetical rowers who were sweating their bullets off.

Buildings in the background seem to be drawn.
hmm i think this is just due to their state of deprecation (wich itself is a anomaly considering the style of them)
noticed that too, something happened here, was it a mud flood?
Crazy picture though. Check out that ship barricade.
yes the backround is as interesting to me as the foreground, look at that atmospheric eletricity spire in the top of that building

Last edited: