Portraits of Plato

Monkwee

Reactions
425px-Plato_Pio-Clementino_Inv305_n2 lastqtr of 4thcent.jpg

I'm sure many of you have seen the above bust of ancient philosopher, Plato, allegedly from the 5th century. I was recently made aware of the fact that, with the exception of Plato, nearly all of what "we" 'know' about ancient philosophers is what was recorded about them by this dude Diogenes Laërtius,a guy we know nothing about! Which has had me freaking out about the fact that it's all probably made up by the evil church fathers and emperors, who are thought to have, allegedly, destroyed millions of texts of ancient schools of philosophy, medicine, and anything else that wasn't theirs that they came across.
So in an attempt to cheer myself up I started looking at paintings and what not of Plato, not sure there's anything obviously sketchy here, but I thought you guys might like them and I hope you find them as interesting as I have, and can add any that you may have come across!

View attachment 20291
347 bc at the academy

Head_Platon,_Glyptothek_Munich_548_120363347bc.jpg
370 bc

1 cent bce mosaic.jpg
1st century bc mosaic

390px-Basawan_-_Alexander_Visits_the_Sage_Plato.jpg
"Alexander visits the Sage Plato"

Plato_in_Nuremberg_Chronicle_LXXIIIv.jpg
"Plato in Nuremburg Chronicle"

320px-Plato_Seneca_Aristotle_medieval.jpg
Plato Seneca Aristotle

Socrates_and_Plato.jpg
"Plato & Socrates" this one interestingly doesn't follow the commonly held view of Socrates as being, "the man who did not write"

plato-portrait-e1397849830193.jpg

348px-St._Charalampos'_Church,_Preveza._Plato_in_minature.jpg
"St. Charalampos Church, Prevaza. Plato in Miniature"

434px-Platon_(Bildarchiv_der_ÖNB).jpg
(weird one from Österreichische Nationalbibliothek - Präsentation theres tons more images there alone!)

800px-Platon,_vu_de_face,_la_tête_légèrement_relevée,_les_yeux_levés_vers_le_ciel_(Nicolas_Lag...jpg
"Platon"

folger-engraving-of-plato-028775a.jpg
"Folger engraving"

jusepe-de-ribera-plato1630.jpg
Jose de Ribera 1630

jusepe-de-ribera-portrait-of-plato.jpg
Same as above, "Portrait of Plato"

plato1637.jpg

portrait_of_plato.jpg

Plato._Etching_by_Remondini._Wellcome_V0004703.jpg

800px-Mattia_Preti_-_Diogenes_and_Plato_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
"Diogenes and Plato"

Definitely one question we could ask might be why he is so often portrayed in early modern styled clothing, rather than the stereotypical toga they have us believing the Greeks wore today? Love to hear what you guys think

Attachments

Timeshifter

Reactions
How do you depict the invisible man?

Depictions of suposed ancients in period clothing would indicate some form propoganda to me.

Or perhaps Plato and other genious names were given to clever folks in each time period and they were never meant to be the same people? For example, the medieval Plato was not the same Plato from Greek times, if you see what I mean.

These depictions have even less substance in reality than a police photo fit. Much less information and left completely open to interpretation.

OP
Monkwee

Monkwee

Reactions
How do you depict the invisible man?

Depictions of suposed ancients in period clothing would indicate some form propoganda to me.

Or perhaps Plato and other genious names were given to clever folks in each time period and they were never meant to be the same people? For example, the medieval Plato was not the same Plato from Greek times, if you see what I mean.

These depictions have even less substance in reality than a police photo fit. Much less information and left completely open to interpretation.
that's an interesting idea, one of my professors made a similar comment in reference to aristotle. it would definitely help explain not only how(they) completed so many works, but how he(they) was correct on nearly everything he had written. Allegedly, all the extant works attributed to Aristotle are what he used as his lecture notes can't imagine what his(their) complete works would've been like.

AnthroposRex

Reactions
Going with the free association idea of the phonetic (Phoenix?) sounds of words and their uncanny honest symmetry. So, Plato = Play-doh = something malleable that is most often used to copy old news as a reproduction in an always changing and easily erasable form.