Photography by Eadweard Muybridge

jd755

Reactions
This man was taking photographs in the late 1800's mainly in America but also at some other sites round the world. He is the man who it is claimed to have taken the galloping horse pictures sequence proving that if but for a split second horses do indeed fly.

This thread is all about the content of his images and their purpose as well as whatever I can discover about the man and his life.
Reason for the thread is I feel this man was very well connected to whoever was 'running the show' in the late 1800's, took an active part in the propaganda of the day and his images may well contain all sorts of clues to the recent past hidden in plain sight.
There will be typos, there will be cock ups, there will be wandering and I am sure there will be connections and here's the first. Eadweard (who will now be called eddie from here on as typing out his weird spelling is a nightmare for old fat fingers on tiny keys) took the San Francisco panorama here. 1878 Panorama of San Francisco from California Street Hill

Diving straight in with these two.
First picture from yet another kingdom i had no idea existed until this evening the Kingdom of Guatemala.
Eddie shot this in 1875 a year after an earthquake shattered the Kingdom and this church the church of El Carmen. Where have we seen this architectural style before, only everywhere.

There are bound to be more of this aftermath.
The second is of an Indian war again I had no idea took place although from the pictures I am not convinced any such war did take place as Eddie is taking pictures of the Indians not the government troops and yet he had close contact with the government and was engaged by it to photograph the Modoc war.

Taken in 1873.

Eddie was on a central American 'grand tour' in 1875 which lasted 9 months. After perusing the photographs on this site; Panamá en 1875 - Panamá Vieja Escuela I realise there is no part of the world that is anything like the history proclaims it to be. Copy from the site in Spanish translated by google translate.
-----
If there is a series of old Panamanian images that most attract attention are those taken by the English photographer Eadweard Muybridge. This gentleman toured several countries in Central America in 1875 and Panama was not left out of his visit.

His trip through Central American lands lasted 9 months and he took advantage of it to capture every aspect of the daily life of that time. In the case of our country, it only visited Panama City and Colón (known at the time as Aspinwall).

Muybridge captured views of the neighborhood of San Felipe, the Bay of Panama, the islands that today make up the Causeway and several important buildings of the time such as the Cabildo, the Cathedral, the Grand Central Hotel, the Church of La Merced, the ruins of the convent of Santo Domingo and the ruins of the ancient city of Panama.

As for Columbus, he photographed images of the vanished town of Chagres, some coastal houses of the Atlantic city, the statue of Christopher Columbus, the monument to William H. Aspinwall and a diverse group of women doing housework.

This collection of photos is very impressive because it allows us to see a bit of what life was like at that time of the 19th century, when Panama was still part of Colombia.
------
Interesting he is referred to as an Englishman not an American.
And a couple of pictures, there are lots on there.

Empty streets as in San Francisco

A building on top of rocks as in many places featured in stolenhistory.

Last edited:

RichardAllen

Reactions
1627 looks like the year on the bottom of Indian picture/post card.
My sense is we're exposing the biggest crime against Humanity, Christianity, most major religion's [global genocide] scorched earth decree, still reeling after the Napoleonic wars, the coalition forms and history's never be the same!
The cover-up, altering history, burning libraries, an ongoing slaughter lasting a century, or more?
Old World was scrubbed, we know who still has the power. Good v Evil

OP
J

jd755

Reactions
Almost forgot about our Eddie.
Turns out he faked that Indian Warrior picture. The chap with the gun is a Federal Indian scout acting the part of the Modoc warrior in a posed shot for propgnda purposes one presumes. Cannt see any other reason for it.

He also photographed the Modoc Indian war for the U.S. Army. Other than photographs of campsites and tents, there was little with which to meet the demand for images of the ‘war,’ which involved about 50 Native Americans who fought 500 cavalrymen for six months. Muybridge used a little creative license, getting the Army’s Indian scouts to pose, and later labeling the images “Modoc braves awaiting in ambush.”

Here is the same Panama church with people!

From here Eadweard Muybridge: The photographic pioneer who froze time and nature

Oiramij

Reactions
Eddie shot this in 1875 a year after an earthquake shattered the Kingdom and this church the church of El Carmen. Where have we seen this architectural style before, only everywhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong but list of earthquakes in Guatemala doesn't mention any in 1884.
You can tell by vegetation that it`s way more than just one year...

OP
J

jd755

Reactions
Correct me if I'm wrong but list of earthquakes in Guatemala doesn't mention any in 1884.
You can tell by vegetation that it`s way more than just one year...
1874 was the year of the earthquake or so I figured but on this site which is really interesting having as it does a two volume Muybridge album it states the earthquake that caused the damage was 1774.
Eadweard Muybridge, Central America

BStankman

Reactions
A great collection that is frustratingly hard to navigate.

Nice to see the lies are the same everywhere.

There is a post office.

And a prison.

And it looks like grass hut people with donkeys are trying to fix up a mosque using sticks.

The cross is sticks?

Many of these look ancient, but covered in modern graffiti.

OP
J

jd755

Reactions
I know what you mean .Great pictures appalling navigation.

Here's a great tale about the photographer himself and his multiple name changes Eadweard Muybridge

This bit intrigues me, and believe me everything about this character is intruiging however this stands out.
"Muybridge had left San Francisco in 1860 as a merchant, but returned in 1867 as a professional photographer, with highly proficient technical skills and an artist’s eye."

Almost as if one man left and different one 'returned'!

And this yet another San Francisco Russian connection.
"In 1868, Muybridge traveled to the newly acquired US territory of Alaska to photograph the Tlingit Native Americans, occasional Russian inhabitants, and dramatic landscapes for the US government."

A request. Eddie took a version of time lapse, months, of the construction of the San Francisco mint between 1870 and 1873. These two show the column bases prior to placing and then after placing. What intrigues me are the pair of columns, if that is what they are laid on planks. Try as i might I cannot find the next picture along which is presumably one with a column or columns upright or hoping against hope, the raising of a column.
I see no crane or pulley system capable of moving the columns from their laying position to up right or even getting them up on the stonework holding the column bases, unless they were put up in bits and finished on site t make them appear to be made of one piece of stone.

Can anyone find the follow on image(s)?

Last edited:

Timeshifter

Reactions
I know what you mean .Great pictures appalling navigation.

Here's a great tale about the photographer himself and his multiple name changes Eadweard Muybridge

This bit intrigues me, and believe me everything about this character is intruiging however this stands out.
"Muybridge had left San Francisco in 1860 as a merchant, but returned in 1867 as a professional photographer, with highly proficient technical skills and an artist’s eye."

Almost as if one man left and different one 'returned'!

And this yet another San Francisco Russian connection.
"In 1868, Muybridge traveled to the newly acquired US territory of Alaska to photograph the Tlingit Native Americans, occasional Russian inhabitants, and dramatic landscapes for the US government."

View attachment 18775
Post automatically merged:

A request. Eddie took a version of time lapse, months, of the construction of the San Francisco mint between 1870 and 1873. These two show the column bases prior to placing and then after placing. What intrigues me are the pair of columns, if that is what they are laid on planks. Try as i might I cannot find the next picture along which is presumably one with a column or columns upright or hoping against hope, the raising of a column.
I see no crane or pulley system capable of moving the columns from their laying position to up right or even getting them up on the stonework holding the column bases, unless they were put up in bits and finished on site t make them appear to be made of one piece of stone.

Can anyone find the follow on image(s)?
View attachment 18776View attachment 18777
In my investigations, I am beggining to suspect Muybridge is another psuedo charactor or multiple characters.

He is everywhere, and little of the work attributed to him appears to be from the same photographer, differing styles and approach.