Photoflash Bombs Were Once Used to Light Nighttime Aerial Photos

Timeshifter

Reactions
I have never read anything so ridiculous in my life...

Iam a photographer, teacher of photography & have some common sense.

None of this makes any actual sense to me. This whole thing feels like someone has made this up for an april fools.

20190806_203034.jpg

'The photoflash bomb was commonly used by military spy planes to capture images of the ground at night from higher (and safer) altitudes.

'From the outside, they looked like ordinary explosive bombs, but instead of being filled with traditional explosives, photoflash bombs were essentially pyrotechnic devices filled with flash powder.'

So a spy plane, dropped a high intensity flash bomb to take pictures... read that again... did it paint a target on the spy plane too?

'After being detonated in mid-air, the bombs would produce incredibly intense light of up to hundreds of millions of candlepower — it was essentially the brightness of a spotlight but spread over a very large area.

Here are some examples of aerial photos shot in the 1940s with the aid of these flash bombs:'

example-1.jpg

20190806_202257.jpg

Most of these images would be useless IMO.

Further...

'In this specific model of ordnance, the flash would last approximately 1/5th of a second after detonation'

Good luck to the camera operator trying to sync that shot. Even automated, all that way, all that stress for one picture, like above?...

I don't know, maybe the cynic in me has taken over. I know, trial and error, but come on.

Absutely love this wiki quote;

'These bombs, which are capable of producing light at an intensity of up to hundreds of millions[1] of candlepower 'assist surveillance aircraft in taking nighttime aerial photos without the need to fly low to the ground which would make it vulnerable to possible enemy detection'

But the blinding flash of light wouldn't make it vulnerable?

🤣🤣🤣

Also, flying closer to the ground would not make the ground any more illuminated... the camera would still only see the same amount of light.

example-5.jpg

The script writers are seriously running out of quality ideas.

Source

Raviolli

Reactions
At first I asked where is the flash? Then I thought maybe some cameras can't capture a flash that quickly (camera fps and etc.). So I looked at a video of a flashbang exploding. I slowed it down and saw a flash. So I slowed the video below down, didn't see a flash, which I guess means the camera is not good enough to capture things that quickly.

Next I asked why are the people just looking at a photoflash bomb exploding when they're standing like 20m away from it. Its like looking at a flashbang. Anyway it does look dug in the ground so maybe thats why? Idk nothing bout cameras sorry bossman.

Ok wait so I just read a bit more and wikipedia says: ''This led authorities to evacuate the beach and several nearby homes ''
The first cut of the above video shows a crowd of normal looking people just watching. Doesn't look like a very successful evacuation, especially when its so serious that you had to allegedly evacuate several nearby homes. But since the camera cuts I could be wrong so Ima check it out on google maps.

Handily you can walk on the beach.
So the event was filmed (in the second cut) from the right side of that pinkish building. ok nvm i cba to locate it all exactly.

This loser here repots that ''several football fields of the beach were closed down''

img2.PNG

The new ''Explosive Ordnance Disposal team from MacDill Air Force Base'' uniforms include a nice bikini so you can detonate explosives whilst getting a nice suntan. (y)(y)(y)(y)

Do correct me as I know nothing about cameras.

Maybe its just a media stunt? Or maybe there's a deeper agenda?

OP
Timeshifter

Timeshifter

Reactions
At first I asked where is the flash? Then I thought maybe some cameras can't capture a flash that quickly (camera fps and etc.).

Maybe its just a media stunt? Or maybe there's a deeper agenda?
You are right, there is no flash in that video. The whole thing appears to be some kind of publicity stunt IMO, to cement the new narrative. The whole beach caper is a joke, isn't it?

It feels to me like this is part of some wider plot to change or confuse the history of photography.

For example; How did we capture clear night time images like this, without flash bombs...

hannover-damage.jpg

Source

When the supposed technology of the time (slow ISO/ASA film speed ratings) would not allow for it?

Hence, the introduction of this ridiculous flash bomb to our timeline.

Obertryn

Reactions
I guess the basic principle is the same as that of a flash camera but someone forgot that the flash is supposed to be one way only - towards the target to be illuminated, not a 360 degree free-for-all blinding.