Olaf Jansen's Story. The Smoky God or a Voyage to the Inner World

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
In 1811, a Norwegian sailor named Olaf Jansen claimed he had sailed through an entrance to the inside of Earth at the North Pole. He claimed to have lived in the beautiful paradise for years with his father, among humans who were 12 feet tall and immune from illness.

This is a small book presented as a true account written by Willis George Emerson in 1908, which describes the adventures of Olaf Jansen, - Wiki

I fear the seemingly incredible story which I am about to relate will be regarded as the result of a distorted intellect superinduced, possibly, by the glamour of unveiling a marvelous mystery, rather than a truthful record of the unparalleled experiences related by one Olaf Jansen, whose eloquent madness so appealed to my imagination that all thought of an analytical criticism has been effectually dispelled.

Marco Polo will doubtless shift uneasily in his grave at the strange story I am called upon to chronicle; a story as strange as a Munchausen tale. It is also incongruous that I, a disbeliever, should be the one to edit the story of Olaf Jansen, whose name is now for the first time given to the world, yet who must hereafter rank as one of the notables of earth.

I freely confess his statements admit of no rational analysis, but have to do with the profound mystery concerning the frozen North that for centuries has claimed the attention of scientists and laymen alike.

However much they are at variance with the cosmographical manuscripts of the past, these plain statements may be relied upon as a record of the things Olaf Jansen claims to have seen with his own eyes.

A hundred times I have asked myself whether it is possible that the world's geography is incomplete, and that the startling narrative of Olaf Jansen is predicated upon demonstrable facts. The reader may be able to answer these queries to his own satisfaction, however far the chronicler of this narrative may be from having reached a conviction. Yet sometimes even I am at a loss to know whether I have been led away from an abstract truth by the ignes fatui of a clever superstition, or whether heretofore accepted facts are, after all, founded upon falsity.”

Olaf_Jansen_Adventure_1.jpg Olaf_Jansen_Adventure_2.jpg Olaf_Jansen_Adventure_3.jpg Olaf_Jansen_Adventure_4.jpg Olaf_Jansen_Adventure_5.jpg
Olaf_Jansen_Adventure_6.jpg Olaf_Jansen_Adventure_7.jpg Olaf_Jansen_Adventure_8.jpg Olaf_Jansen_Adventure_9.jpg

Continuation: The Smoky God Contents

We may never find out if this account has any truth to it. Either way, it’s an interesting food for thought.

humanoidlord

In 1811, a Norwegian sailor named Olaf Jansen claimed he had sailed through an entrance to the inside of Earth at the North Pole. He claimed to have lived in the beautiful paradise for years with his father, among humans who were 12 feet tall and immune from illness.

This is a small book presented as a true account written by Willis George Emerson in 1908, which describes the adventures of Olaf Jansen, - Wiki

I fear the seemingly incredible story which I am about to relate will be regarded as the result of a distorted intellect superinduced, possibly, by the glamour of unveiling a marvelous mystery, rather than a truthful record of the unparalleled experiences related by one Olaf Jansen, whose eloquent madness so appealed to my imagination that all thought of an analytical criticism has been effectually dispelled.

Marco Polo will doubtless shift uneasily in his grave at the strange story I am called upon to chronicle; a story as strange as a Munchausen tale. It is also incongruous that I, a disbeliever, should be the one to edit the story of Olaf Jansen, whose name is now for the first time given to the world, yet who must hereafter rank as one of the notables of earth.

I freely confess his statements admit of no rational analysis, but have to do with the profound mystery concerning the frozen North that for centuries has claimed the attention of scientists and laymen alike.

However much they are at variance with the cosmographical manuscripts of the past, these plain statements may be relied upon as a record of the things Olaf Jansen claims to have seen with his own eyes.

A hundred times I have asked myself whether it is possible that the world's geography is incomplete, and that the startling narrative of Olaf Jansen is predicated upon demonstrable facts. The reader may be able to answer these queries to his own satisfaction, however far the chronicler of this narrative may be from having reached a conviction. Yet sometimes even I am at a loss to know whether I have been led away from an abstract truth by the ignes fatui of a clever superstition, or whether heretofore accepted facts are, after all, founded upon falsity.”

Continuation: The Smoky God Contents

We may never find out if this account has any truth to it. Either way, it’s an interesting food for thought.
while its an very cool story i have to think its fiction, mostly because it was published exactly when scifi was starting to turn into a famous genre

humanoidlord

Unless scifi was the name given by us to their recollection of the past.
while some of its is quite suspicious and eye raising (see jules verne and H.P lovecraft [the latter wich predicted the ancient astronaut theory years before it was made]) most of it is indeed fiction (with the possible exception of the mentioned former)
oh and then there is people like tolkien wich mixed fact (giants, mountain dwarves, dragons and some other "fantastical" creatures) with fiction (magic and goblins)

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
The Hollow Earth idea comes from the ancient times. Multiple respectable people talked about its existance to include Admiral Byrd.

There is no way to know for sure what exists and what does. It could be either way. Science says many things are impossible, yet we observe the inconsistencies.

Personal beliefs are just that. Great when we substantiate those with some materials.

humanoidlord

The Hollow Earth idea comes from the ancient times. Multiple respectable people talked about its existance to include Admiral Byrd.

There is no way to know for sure what exists and what does. It could be either way. Science says many things are impossible, yet we observe the inconsistencies.

Personal beliefs are just that. Great when we substantiate those with some materials.
the admyral byrd talking about hollow earth thing is an myth, but yeah its hard to know what is true and what isnt, as far as i know olaf jansen just accidentally stumbled into an interdimensional portal and arrived in some bizzare utopic parallel dimension

Magnus

while some of its is quite suspicious and eye raising (see jules verne and H.P lovecraft [the latter wich predicted the ancient astronaut theory years before it was made]) most of it is indeed fiction (with the possible exception of the mentioned former)
oh and then there is people like tolkien wich mixed fact (giants, mountain dwarves, dragons and some other "fantastical" creatures) with fiction (magic and goblins)
Mountain dwarves? Link? Cheers!

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
More and more I run into stories about old brick tunnels looking just like the one below. Yet, there is no definitive explanation as to who the real builders were.

76FB4676-FB32-4709-8D76-51E7A83193BA.jpeg

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Another question is with all the multitude of brick used for building, tunnels and what not... where did all the mud come from, and why those bricks were of such high quality.

ISeenItFirst

Those bricks look modular. Meaning the width is a factor of the length. Vintage bricks generally were not modular at all. Further, brick walls usually have ties, where every 4-6 courses have Bricks laid long ways to tie in to the structure behind. This looks like each course alternates with long and short brick sides.
No idea the significance, nor what the "hint" is referring to.

humanoidlord

Those bricks look modular. Meaning the width is a factor of the length. Vintage bricks generally were not modular at all. Further, brick walls usually have ties, where every 4-6 courses have Bricks laid long ways to tie in to the structure behind. This looks like each course alternates with long and short brick sides.
No idea the significance, nor what the "hint" is referring to.
what i am trying to point out is exactly what you talked about in your comment, the equality is innatural

ISeenItFirst

Agreed, but circumstantial. I don't think vintage modular bricks are unheard of, just unusual. As for the tie in courses, that would be for a wall, a curved tunnel would necessarily have a different structure. Would love to see a cross section of the structure on some of these.

The Wack

I read about Olafs adventure years ago, I skimmed through the story again yesterday and although Olaf is very light on details, when talking briefly of the great ship the giants had i was reminded of this paragraph mentioning weird 'twice the height' cabins on the Great Eastern.
The same book later states 7'6" ceilings, but maybe the first mention was true, and it was another 'Editors slip' I found, same as the mention of welding on the G .E.'s iron deck.

Screenshot_2018-07-05-14-19-25.png