National Geographic just released a “Debunking” of Flat Earth, I couldn't help but notice something...

mythstifieD

Reactions
I want to state that I don't personally believe in the Flat Earth hypothesis. That said, i thought this video was shameful and quite transparent in it's smear campaign to shut the Flat Earther's up. They didn't once actually exhibit one of their arguments. Then, their big proof of the curvature of the Earth? Well.. let me say, it really made me wonder, take a look at this screenshot I put together:

boat over the curve.png

As I wrote in the image, why on Earth is the water still visible PAST the boat? I honestly want the "scientific" explanation for this, because based on their own graphic, the water should NOT be visible still. The only way that water WOULD be, is if the water is curving upwards, which is absurd.

Here's the video itself:

Browsing the comments I find this one:
Eratosthenes.png
Which reminds me of my older post here: Did the Greeks know the world was round?

Where I wrote:
And now we're back in the 1800s where I can find a verifiable copy of Cleomedes.

Remember that the Library of Alexandria also started being remembered in the 19th century too.

So either the earliest we know of him is in the 13th century or the 19th. If the 13th, then I would argue that the revelation of this work may indeed have led to eventual exploration into the Atlantic.
What a neat little web of circular confirmation they build, where you're an idiot to believe the world is round because some guy in the BC's (actually in the 19th century?!) calculated the circumference...

Wayyy down I notice someone finally comments this same observation:
2019-01-18_11-55-43.png

Last edited:

sonoman

Reactions
hey mithstifieD

Im not a very trusting one so I mentioned before on here what I did to confirm and deny it both ways When does it start to curve?

thats my first hand experience that the earth I am upon, curves. but my experience is my own. I shared it so that others can see how to verify flat or round for the earth that they are upon. if another has firsthand experience that earth is flat, I can accept that that is true for them.

I imagine that anything is possible and therefore it is possible that we do not exist together on the same surfaces and/or there are multiples of us and of earth.

IMO true vs false is irrational judgement (psyence)

the questions should instead be asked: True, Untrue, or False?

your truth may not be my truth but I dont automatically assume your truth is 'false'.

another way to say it is rather than correct or incorrect (binary logic), we consider nothing is absolute, and partially correct is also partially incorrect.

but IMO this subject (flat vs round) aint got nothing on 'The Mandela Effect' when it comes to polarizing people with binary logic and motivating, manipulating, charging their emotions. I think divide and conquer has worked so well for 'TPTB' that they have somehow supercharged it. I have decided not to 'work' for them, and see things my own way, everyone can do this and if we all do, I think the role 'TPTB' will change.

strange times! we can live 'with', 'in', or 'at' it, our choice.

dreamtime

Reactions
As I wrote in the image, why on Earth is the water still visible PAST the boat? I honestly want the "scientific" explanation for this, because based on their own graphic, the water should NOT be visible still. The only way that water WOULD be, is if the water is curving upwards, which is absurd.
I guess the official explanation would have something to do with Refractive index and Refraction and Fata Morgana. Also upward curving isn't absurd, it's probably exactly what's happening, but that's another story.

OP
mythstifieD

mythstifieD

Reactions
I guess the official explanation would have something to do with Refractive index and Refraction and Fata Morgana. Also upward curving isn't absurd, it's probably exactly what's happening, but that's another story.
330px-Fatamorganarp[1].png

Ah yes, but if it were a mirage, according to this diagram, the lake would have to slope upwards, which is improbable.

And if it were refraction, why did the boat refract one way and the distant water refract another?

What always gets me about these videos is WHY didn't the flat earth guy IMMEDIATELY catch this and call them out on it?

Then again, perhaps they did and the edited that out -- I will submit a request for the raw footage!

Onthebit

Reactions
The fact that the media is 'pushing' (I call it pushing the narrative because the msn is covering it) is very suspect. If I try to say to someone something about government hoodwinking us all they immediately call me a flat earth trump supporting racist..... The world is in psycho mode.

UnusualBean

Reactions
They're not trying to shut Flat Earthers up... much the opposite, they want to rile them up because they're trying to reinforce to the public that they (and by extension, all conspiracy theorists) are crazy and stupid. That's the entire reason the Flat Earth hypothesis was invented by TPTB. It was never real.

It conveniently started gaining notoriety around the time more and more people were discussing Hollow Earth and Dyson spheres, but now it's used as a general "haha look how crazy anybody who questions the official narrative is" marker. It's gotten a bit out of control as of late, but for a while there any time FE showed up in connection to a topic it was a safe bet that you were onto something that TPTB didn't want you to be onto.

OP
mythstifieD

mythstifieD

Reactions
I feel like we're being lied to about SOMETHING regarding space, so they may have either made up or encouraged the Flat Earth idea for that reason. Now anyone who questions anything about space is a flat earth lunatic, even if they're not talking about that.

Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that this experiment NatGeo did was really dumb and does the opposite of what they think it does.

You know what pisses me off though? The so-called skeptics. I used to count myself as one, but now I feel like I'm a TRUE skeptic and those guys are just pushing the status quo against "woo". Yes, there is a LOT of bullshit out there and it needs to be critiqued and torn apart. However, the smugness and the ego on these people gets the best of them and they seem to devolve into ridicule instead of actual debunking.

I (used to?) love NgT, funny smart guy. Except after watching this video, he OBVIOUSLY doesn't take the real argument's flat earthers make seriously. Maybe he's afraid of actually presenting their "Hmmmm" ones... Better off just making them look like complete morons.

For example, who would believe this model:
flat earth round solar system.png

For fun, I've watched dozens of Flat Earth people make their case. I'm still not convinced, but they do raise a few interesting questions. But not once have I ever seen a serious believer even posit something so ridiculous as this. The common idea is that the earth is a plane, like above, and the stars/planets are floating above it, possibly above a firmament. It's not a 3rd flat plane from the sun, that doesn't work in the model at all. So when you present this as your way of mocking them, you will not win a single flat earther back to "your side". Besides, just because we're on a flat plane doesn't mean "balls" don't exist, the other planets COULD be round still. Most believers smartly just say "We don't know what Mars is, we need to do some real science and find out".

And then this one:
flat eclipse.png

NgT thinks this is a SLAM DUNK, but it's a total straw man. There's no such thing as a heliocentric flat earther. Period. It doesn't make sense. Flat Earthers have the sun and moon floating above the earth in their own circles. Eclipses are still very much possible. In fact they think they're explained better with their model than the round model. Again, I don't really agree, but they do make some interesting points and try very hard to stay serious about it which I give them kudoos for. They do NOT show a picture like this and demand you believe it. Give me a break.

Here's the video if you're curious:

Last edited:

Tyrion

Reactions
The earth is flat, stationary, that’s the way it was created. That is what my eyes see and always will see. How could anyone believe that we live in a space ship moving at lightspeed?, anybody, human or animal would notice. How could gravity be strong enough to hold oceans down but light enough to let birds fly?

ripvanwillie

Reactions
They lied about our history, who we are, and where we came from. Just look at all the lies exposed on this site alone! Lies, lies, and more lies.
Given that, why would we expect them to tell us the truth about our earth and the universe we live in?
More important, why would we believe their stories? After all, science was created to take power from religion, not to give us the truth.

Qmeta

Reactions
They'll have you arguing over the evidence for centuries. It's how they are able to keep the deception going.

They want you to focus on the evidence rather than their agenda and deception. This is the same publication that repeatedly pushes cultural Marxism and the destruction of identity. So, gender dysphoria is perfectly fine and normal and should be encouraged, but the Earth is most assuredly a globe :LOL:

This is why the general public will never see the deception, because they would have to think about the evidence for both Earth models, of which there is plenty. It would be a stretch for them to just simply think, 'This publication lies a lot, so shouldn't be trusted with anything they publish.'

sonoman

Reactions
Water ALWAYS finds its LEVEL and cannot lie. the Earth we live on has 70% water contained in it. Be like water my friends, Bruce Lee*
(first post) absolutely love this site and what everyone is contributing. just amazing work.
hey moJoriizin, welcome to SH

asked this question in another thread:

why when water is splashed, does it form spherical droplets instead of flatten out?

sonoman

Reactions
hopefully, I hope ;-)

after mentioning 'professional reincarnators' in another thread, I found it mentioned (allegedly) by ancient greek philospher. blew me away! actually alot of the stuff they (allegedly) wrote does. Ive been reading so much of that lately that I fell asleep while reading then in dream Im still reading! now I cant help but take them seriously.

who said we cant make this stuff up?

whitewave

Reactions
The fact that the media is 'pushing' (I call it pushing the narrative because the msn is covering it) is very suspect. If I try to say to someone something about government hoodwinking us all they immediately call me a flat earth trump supporting racist..... The world is in psycho mode.
You can't reason with unreasonable people. When I find myself in a heated discussion with some hyper-opinionated, close-minded person (any argument will do for people who just like to argue) then I realize I'm in an impossible situation and walk away. Not pointing fingers at anyone in this thread (or on this site) as I'm enjoying both sides of the discussion; just pointing out that arguing about things that can't be proven is no reason to ridicule an opposing opinion-no matter what the topic. Again, this opinion is a general one and doesn't apply to anyone discussing flat vs. globe earth. Carry on.

dreamtime

Reactions
I feel like we're being lied to about SOMETHING regarding space, so they may have either made up or encouraged the Flat Earth idea for that reason. Now anyone who questions anything about space is a flat earth lunatic, even if they're not talking about that.

Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that this experiment NatGeo did was really dumb and does the opposite of what they think it does.

You know what pisses me off though? The so-called skeptics. I used to count myself as one, but now I feel like I'm a TRUE skeptic and those guys are just pushing the status quo against "woo". Yes, there is a LOT of bullshit out there and it needs to be critiqued and torn apart. However, the smugness and the ego on these people gets the best of them and they seem to devolve into ridicule instead of actual debunking.

I (used to?) love NgT, funny smart guy. Except after watching this video, he OBVIOUSLY doesn't take the real argument's flat earthers make seriously. Maybe he's afraid of actually presenting their "Hmmmm" ones... Better off just making them look like complete morons.

For example, who would believe this model:

View attachment 15569

For fun, I've watched dozens of Flat Earth people make their case. I'm still not convinced, but they do raise a few interesting questions. But not once have I ever seen a serious believer even posit something so ridiculous as this. The common idea is that the earth is a plane, like above, and the stars/planets are floating above it, possibly above a firmament. It's not a 3rd flat plane from the sun, that doesn't work in the model at all. So when you present this as your way of mocking them, you will not win a single flat earther back to "your side". Besides, just because we're on a flat plane doesn't mean "balls" don't exist, the other planets COULD be round still. Most believers smartly just say "We don't know what Mars is, we need to do some real science and find out".

And then this one:

View attachment 15570

NgT thinks this is a SLAM DUNK, but it's a total straw man. There's no such thing as a heliocentric flat earther. Period. It doesn't make sense. Flat Earthers have the sun and moon floating above the earth in their own circles. Eclipses are still very much possible. In fact they think they're explained better with their model than the round model. Again, I don't really agree, but they do make some interesting points and try very hard to stay serious about it which I give them kudoos for. They do NOT show a picture like this and demand you believe it. Give me a break.

Here's the video if you're curious:

I agree. We are slowly but steadily approaching Idiocracy level of public debate. Those who can write three sentences will probably be the rare geniuses within 100 years.

Or maybe that guy knows what he's doing. Either way, I encountered this "sceptic" way of "debunking" with lots of other mainstream scientists too, and it's really sad to see that no one seems to really want to understand the other.

Last edited: