NASA sold moon landing tapes to intern by mistake

Searching

Reactions
It's the 50th anniversary of the moon landing and NASA, the geniuses who put man on the moon, were not smart enough to hold on to the video footage of the most epic feat ever accomplished by the human race.

The tapes were sold by accident to NASA intern Gary George in 1976, who purchased the set unknowingly among 65 boxes of videotapes at a government surplus auction for $217.77.

The tapes will be auctioned off by Sotheby's to mark this half centennial achievement.

Whoever purchases the footage will join an exclusive club of viewers: George watched the tapes once more to digitize them and save them on a hard drive, which is included in the tapes' sale. Sotheby's staff viewed them once to assess their quality, which they found to be "faultless."
NASA sold moon landing footage to an intern for $218. Now, the tapes could sell for millions

"...An exclusive club of viewers"? As I see it, NASA's incompetency does not change the fact those tapes belong to the American tax payers who funded this extravaganza. We deserve to see it.

And also, you know how pictures that are over a hundred years old just started showing up with crystal clear quality? The same thing seems to be happening with moon landing footage. We've got footage in 4K now.

Obertryn

Reactions
AHAHAHAHAHA, wait, are they fucking serious?

First they accidentally lost them, now they accidentally sold them? And when the general public asks to see the originals, then what? They'll say that aliens accidentally teleported into the buyer's living room and accidentally vaporized all of them?

"Hey B'zax, this isn't the Intergalactic Spaceship Repairs Warehouse...OH SHIT, MY DEATH RAY!"

Last edited:

Schism

Reactions
It's the 50th anniversary of the moon landing and NASA, the geniuses who put man on the moon, were not smart enough to hold on to the video footage of the most epic feat ever accomplished by the human race.
Yea, this is pretty funny. Last I heard, NASA supposedly recorded over a lot, or all of the supposed original footage, which doesn't make any sense from multiple angles. I wasn't aware that was even possible.

For those that aren't aware already, this short 10 minute video tells all.

The video below was pretty good too, and related to the topic.

Last edited:
OP
Searching

Searching

Reactions
First, we're told a team of retired NASA employees and contractors tried to find the tapes in the early 2000s but was unable to do so. We guess, we like, recorded over them or something?
Apollo 11 missing tapes - Wikipedia

Second, we're told the intern Gary has had them this whole time.

Third, we're told:
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to preserve movies, but when it came to the reels documenting the historic Apollo 11 Moon landing, that’s exactly what happened.
When it was all over, NASA behaved like true geniuses and carefully put the reels away in cold storage. And then, they forgot about it, until Todd Douglas Miller came around.
“They had a plan for this, and it worked,” Miller tells Inverse. “We owe a debt of gratitude to the forward-thinking people at NASA. They had the foresight to not only process [the footage] quickly, but to give it to the National Archives where it was in cold storage where it belonged and was curated properly after all these years. It’s a really great story about proper preservation.”
How the 'Apollo 11' Documentary Pulled Off a Feat as Incredible as NASA's

Ice Nine

Reactions
Oy! what a crock of shit. How much more proof and lame excuses are needed for people to start thinking, "hey something is fishy here"
and yet most people don't care and we are still thought of as conspiracy nutters. I could barely sit through the 1:52 minutes of the Apollo trailer, let alone watching the movie, which I have no desire to watch at all.

Yes it's quite hilarious listening to all the excuses given by NASA, but I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Last edited:

AgentOrange5

Reactions
So, people have been looking for these lost tapes since at least 2000. This intern apparently is a recluse who doesn't watch news or You Tube. Because suddenly, just now, he pops up with the tapes and decides to auction them off for money? He didn't think about auctioning them for money before? I don't buy it....although I suppose, assuming that NASA really did go to the moon, that if they are ready to for full disclosure, then they will release the original film showing aliens on the moon. So, at best I think this is a set-up by NASA to release the tapes they have been hiding for decades, although I personally think it's more likely that these tapes and the story behind them are completely made up.

trismegistus

Reactions
Wonder if they accidentally sold all the telemetry data as well - - considering NASA managed to "lose" that too.

I for one am glad that NASA was the gatekeeper for the film for 50+ years and now a wealthy gatekeeper will get to have them all to themselves. I mean, if the footage truly was a record of America's greatest achievement then surely the American people deserve to have a look-see before it ends up in some elite's private collection.

What @Searching brings up is probably the most frustrating and revealing aspect of the whole thing - - that there have been multiple completely disparate excuses from NASA as to why the footage hasn't been available. Truly these are Schrodinger's film reels: simultaneously lost, taped over, and owned by an intern at any given point.

That trailer for the CNN doc Apollo 11 - - it can't just be me that thinks most of that footage looks like either straight up CG mixed with deepfake re-enactments of NASA. Seems like even if that is the case when it comes to Moon landing footage there will always be two camps: those who can instantly see all of the holes and inconsistencies and those who fall under the "this happened, so everything is real" category. What bugs me the most is the latter crowd will see footage of the landings and say something like "Wow this looks unreal" but never question why they may say something like that. Some people will continue convincing themselves that things that look fake or doctored are actually real because "Why would the US government lie about this for 50 years?" Intelligent people no longer trust their own eyes, which open them up to all kinds of additional psyops.

Makes me wonder if this story isn't a code to someone, somewhere. We will never know if this footage is real - - therefore how do we know that moon landing footage is in those containers?

Mabzynn

Reactions
First, we're told a team of retired NASA employees and contractors tried to find the tapes in the early 2000s but was unable to do so. We guess, we like, recorded over them or something?
Apollo 11 missing tapes - Wikipedia

Second, we're told the intern Gary has had them this whole time.

Third, we're told:
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to preserve movies, but when it came to the reels documenting the historic Apollo 11 Moon landing, that’s exactly what happened.
When it was all over, NASA behaved like true geniuses and carefully put the reels away in cold storage. And then, they forgot about it, until Todd Douglas Miller came around.
“They had a plan for this, and it worked,” Miller tells Inverse. “We owe a debt of gratitude to the forward-thinking people at NASA. They had the foresight to not only process [the footage] quickly, but to give it to the National Archives where it was in cold storage where it belonged and was curated properly after all these years. It’s a really great story about proper preservation.”
How the 'Apollo 11' Documentary Pulled Off a Feat as Incredible as NASA's

The ending of that trailer is a little weird... Any ideas why they felt the need to include these images quickly from 1:47-1:48?

MaybeLater

Reactions
Sorry, but NASA is about as trustworthy as Bernie Madoff. I don't believe a thing they say anymore. And this "Oh, we lost the tapes", "We lost the technology", "We taped over the tapes", "We sold the tapes to an intern", "The Moon is in our atmosphere now", "Space is actually full of water"...It's just freaking pitiful.

OP
Searching

Searching

Reactions
Truly these are Schrodinger's film reels: simultaneously lost, taped over, and owned by an intern at any given point.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::love: Schrodinger's film reels... I like this comparison very much.

This is also Schrodinger's reality based on Schrodinger's history. When any contradictory information emerges from the same trust-worthy government source and is brought to the attention of the run-of-the-mill masses, they immediately ask, "What? You don't think we landed on the moon?"

"We, as in you and I, did not land on the moon. I assume you use the ubiquitous patriotic "we" that Americans have been programmed to use... like when a football team you are a fan of wins a game, you victoriously declare, "We won!" No, you were not on the field. You were also not one the moon."
It is a sad state of affairs that people's high points in life are vicarious experiences they have convinced themselves they had a part in when their "contribution" was relegated to that of buying a jersey or being forced to pay taxes so that they could watch said event on their television.

A man born in rural America at the end of the 19th century's most high-tech accessories were an outhouse and a plow pulled by a donkey. In this man's life time, he witnessed the advent of radio, moving pictures, automobiles, and airplanes. Before he died, he sat in the comfort of his air conditioned living room and watched man walk on the moon in real time on his color tv?

But it happened. All of this unbelievable contradictory history happened. That's the beauty of this place, I guess. Anybody can believe anything they want until they open up a box and see a dead cat.

BStankman

Reactions
It all makes sense now. Don Pettit sold the films and telemetry data for $217.77 to fund space yo-yo's and didgeridoos.
I could tell he was holding back when he said we destroyed the data.

Last edited:

AgentOrange5

Reactions
.Seems like even if that is the case when it comes to Moon landing footage there will always be two camps: those who can instantly see all of the holes and inconsistencies and those who fall under the "this happened, so everything is real" category. What bugs me the most is the latter crowd will see footage of the landings and say something like "Wow this looks unreal" but never question why they may say something like that. Some people will continue convincing themselves that things that look fake or doctored are actually real because "Why would the US government lie about this for 50 years?" Intelligent people no longer trust their own eyes, which open them up to all kinds of additional psyops.
Well, there is the 3rd camp, my SO believes that we did go to the moon, but he also believes that there was doctored pre-taped footage that was used, to hide things on the moon that they didn't want the general public to know. Myself, I'm undecided if we actually went or not, but I do absolutely believe that if we did go, then yes, doctored footage was used to hide stuff.

Schism

Reactions
Well, there is the 3rd camp
I was going to say the same thing yesterday, but didn't. Your SO likely believes in some version of the secret space program. I would say I'm currently in a similar camp.

Talking about space, the cosmos, NASA, other space agencies, etc, can be like walking into a hornets nest here, and online period. I totally agree that there's more than two camps regarding this moon landing stuff.

I know a few things to be true... We've been lied to, and TPTB continue to perpetuate more and more lies to keep the status quo.

Based on my observations, alphabet agencies, government's, NGO's, etc, have done an excellent job over the last half a century at minimum of creating a conspiracy culture, and it's intentional by design. I'd say what they have done has worked quite well myself. A mix of truth and lies is everywhere, and it's gotten much worse post the internet era. People totally believe in a wide spectrum of contradictory narratives regarding just about anything. In many cases, they have absolutely no indisputable proof regarding what they believe in either.

I don't have all the answers regarding this moon landing stuff. I certainly don't believe the mainstream narratives either.

Onthebit

Reactions
Well, there is the 3rd camp, my SO believes that we did go to the moon, but he also believes that there was doctored pre-taped footage that was used, to hide things on the moon that they didn't want the general public to know. Myself, I'm undecided if we actually went or not, but I do absolutely believe that if we did go, then yes, doctored footage was used to hide stuff.
I can help you decide. We just found out that the moon is actually in earth's atmosphere. That means the math they used to calculate a trajectory could NOT HAVE BEEN RIGHT. So ..... they are asking you to believe in miracles.

Schism

Reactions
I can help you decide. We just found out that the moon is actually in earth's atmosphere. That means the math they used to calculate a trajectory could NOT HAVE BEEN RIGHT. So ..... they are asking you to believe in miracles.
That doesn't solve anything for me. Are you suggesting humans can breathe there? I sure hope not ;)

Take your pick...

Earth’s atmosphere extends beyond moon | EarthSky.org

Earth’s atmosphere stretches out to the Moon – and beyond

Surprise! Earth's Atmosphere Extends Far Beyond the Moon

Earth's air supply may reach nearly 400,000 miles into space — so far that the moon constantly flies through it

Is There an Atmosphere on the Moon?

OP
Searching

Searching

Reactions
Hey look, the public now has a view of the moon rocks the Apollo mission created! /s

Yeah! Moon rocks rock! This lady has been in charge of taking care of them for 4 decades.

I bet she would be surprised to know that they are just petrified wood.
‘Moon rock’ in museum is just petrified wood

And watching that white, sterile, pristine environment leads one to believe that NASA was as careful with its moon rocks as it was its video footage.
Of the 270 Apollo 11 Moon rocks and the Apollo 17 Goodwill Moon Rocks that were given to the nations of the world by the Nixon Administration, approximately 180 are unaccounted for...
Stolen and missing Moon rocks - Wikipedia

Apparently attention is very expensive. Few people can afford to pay it.