Movie: They Live (1988)

BStankman

5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: They Live (1988)

Tagline: You see them on the street. You watch them on TV. You might even vote for one this fall. You think they're people just like you. You're wrong. Dead wrong.

Genre: Action, Horror, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: John Carpenter

Cast: Roddy Piper, Keith David, Meg Foster, George Buck Flower, Peter Jason, Raymond St. Jacques, Jason Robards III, John Lawrence, Susan Barnes, Sy Richardson, Wendy Brainard, Lucille Meredith, Susan Blanchard, Norman Alden, Dana Bratton, John F. Goff, Thelma Lee, Stratton Leopold, Rezza Shan, Norman Howell, Tom Searle, Robert Grasmere, Vince Inneo, Bob Hudson, Jon Paul Jones, Dennis Michael, Nancy Gee, Claudia Stanlee, Christine Anne Baur, Eileen Wesson, Gregory J. Barnett, Jim Nickerson, Kerry Rossall, Cibby Danyla, Jeff Imada, Michelle Costello, Norman D. Wilson, Larry Franco, Jeb Stuart Adams, Jennifer Austin, Michael Forino, Robert V. Greene, Helen Kelly, Al Leong, Gunnar Magg, Matt McColm, Tommy Morrison

Release: 1988-11-23

Runtime: 94

Plot: Nada, a wanderer without meaning in his life, discovers a pair of sunglasses capable of showing the world the way it truly is. As he walks the streets of Los Angeles, Nada notices that both the media and the government are comprised of subliminal messages meant to keep the population subdued, and that most of the social elite are skull-faced aliens bent on world domination. With this shocking discovery, Nada fights to free humanity from the mind-controlling aliens.

OP
OP
BStankman

BStankman

Rowdy Roddy Piper straight out of the WWF squared circle.

squared circle..jpg

they_live_movie.jpg

So, so much can be said of this movie.
But I am going to leave room for others and just concentrate on the greatest fight scene in the history of cinema.

John Nada finds a pair of sunglasses that allows him to see past the veneer of media and advertising through the real reality.
Nada finds his friend Frank in a back alleyway and urges him to try on the sunglasses.
Frank, thinking he’s insane, refuses.

What ensues the greatest fight in film history.

If you have ever tried to talk to your friends and family about 911 or the moon landing or perhaps even history is fake, you know exactly what this is.
Rather that wanting to see reality, Frank would rather fight at all costs to protect his ego rather that to see the truth.

they-live-we-sleep.jpg

Last edited:

Ice Nine

@BStankman
"If you have ever tried to talk to your friends and family about 911 or the moon landing or perhaps even history is fake, you know exactly what this is.
Rather that wanting to see reality, Frank would rather fight at all costs to protect his ego rather that to see the truth."

I'd also like to mention JFK and RFK and most liley MLK.

I come from a long line of kooks, weirdos and free thinkers. And so I have a few people to talk shit over with, but most people just want to put their hands over their ears and say LaLaLaLaLa, like a kid who doesn't want to listen to anything. Because if authority figures tell them, this is what happened, they won't question it all. They rarely even want to delve into it enough to even stir a question or doubt.

Oh yeah great movie, but we get ourselves into trouble there even if we try to suggest it really could be what is going on. Then they accuse of us of not being about to tell reality from fiction. HA, see the irony there, I'll try not to laugh."

Magnetic

I never heard of this movie until 8 years ago and I was astounded at the message given. After its initial run it was isolated without VHS release for many years...I think it was too accurate for the masters. It's a bit ham-fisted but I like how it reduces the complex conspiracy concepts to a simple understanding: a great piece of propaganda that spells out the truth so simply that you would have to be an idiot to not understand.

trismegistus

I may come back and edit this post to discuss the topic of propaganda a little deeper, but I couldn't help but post this nugget from IMDB regarding that amazing fight scene in the meantime.
The big fight sequence was designed, rehearsed and choreographed in the back-yard of director John Carpenter's production office. The fight between Nada (Roddy Piper) and Frank (Keith David) was only supposed to last twenty seconds, but Piper and David decided to fight it out for real, only faking the hits to the face and groin. They rehearsed the fight for three weeks. Carpenter was so impressed he kept the five minutes and twenty seconds scene intact.

milhaus

What I find interesting is the contrast of the bank scenes between this movie and the Matrix. In They Live, he is only killing the invaders. In the matrix Neo and Trinity are killing real people that have been taken over/possessed by agents. I think it says a lot about how society was changed in such a short period of time. And then we started seeing an influx in mass shootings.

Magnetic

What I find interesting is the contrast of the bank scenes between this movie and the Matrix. In They Live, he is only killing the invaders. In the matrix Neo and Trinity are killing real people that have been taken over/possessed by agents. I think it says a lot about how society was changed in such a short period of time. And then we started seeing an influx in mass shootings.
All the shootings are fake! They are actors working for the department of homeland security are not top notch is why they smile when interviewed after a close relative is killed...they know they are lying and its a "duping delight" response to get attention to their lie and its being believed so they can't help smiling. ALL the SHOOTINGS ARE FAKE.

milhaus

All the shootings are fake! They are actors working for the department of homeland security are not top notch is why they smile when interviewed after a close relative is killed...they know they are lying and its a "duping delight" response to get attention to their lie and its being believed so they can't help smiling. ALL the SHOOTINGS ARE FAKE.
Sure. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Just that it was already being normalized in movies within that time frame.

dreamtime

At one point in the movie someone says something like "They have manipulated the atmosphere in a way to suit their agenda and make it their atmosphere!"

I think this is entirely true, and ties into the topic of CO2, temperature and light.

Basically they have figured out that humans are in a state of energy deprivation when the atmosphere contains not enough CO2 and the temperature fluctuates too much. In the movie the guy says too much CO2 is the problem, but it's actually the opposite.

After the age of 20 or so we are in a state of slowly dying. All abilities that aren't trained or learned basically peak with puberty.

Some of us can figure out the truth but we can not figure out a way to build another type of society, because we don't have enough time. It's simply not possible to develop sustainable abilities with a CO2 concentration of only 400ppm. Below 150ppm all life on earth dies. We were pretty close to it after the last ice age after the middle ages. Normal CO2 in the atmosphere is 10,000 - 40,000 PPM. which translates to 1-4%. Today in greenhouses plants are supplemented with around 2,000 PPM for optimal growth, so that is the minimum necessary amount for our current atmospheric conditions to have ideal growth and regeneration. Office buildings typically have a pretty high concentration of CO2 - around 1,000 - 3,000 PPM, but not enough oxygen to make up for the increased CO2.

I think that low CO2 concentration after the ice age was the reason they allowed fossil fuels to be extracted, but now it's already too much and industrial society will be stopped towards the end of the century.

Let's hope at one point we will get back to a healthy planetary system in which human life naturally thrives.

If there are any godly forces all they need to do to save humanity is manipulating the atmosphere into healthy conditions.

It's like if a scientist stands in front of a big tank of fishes, whith problematic levels of oxygen which make the fish die. And the fishes pray to the scientist and say "Save us from our misery". And due to the oxygen deprivation the fishes have spiritual experiences where they talk with fish angels that tell them "Don't despair, you are to blame due to your karma. Behave better and you won't be in a bad state in your next fish life". Actually it would be a single decision by the scientist to normalize the oxygen in the tank and everything would be ideal again. No suffering possible. If the scientist is evil we have to wait for the scientist's boss to intervene. (The entire NDE experiences are seemingly born out of humanities' collective guilt and god program.)

But the important part is that humanity can not save themselves. Simply not possible.

Last edited:

Magnetic

You "need" sunglasses to see the "ill-umined" ones. There is a few scenes That are a bit cryptic...there is a seen where people are lined up like at an airport to transfer to a different city, NYC. What was the nature of the giant underground facility that the heroes find themselves in? What was the nature of the broadcast beam?

milhaus

there is a seen where people are lined up like at an airport to transfer to a different city, NYC. What was the nature of the giant underground facility that the heroes find themselves in?
I figured it was something like this:
Disney utilidor system - Wikipedia

In Disney theme parks, the utilidor system is a system of some of the world's largest utility tunnels, mainly for Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom in Florida. The utilidors, short for utility corridors, are a part of Disney's "backstage" (behind-the-scenes) area. They allow Disney employees ("cast members") to perform park support operations, such as trash removal, and for costumed characters to quickly reach their destinations on the surface out of the sight of guests to avoid ruining the illusion that is being created.

trismegistus

This film has an interesting current running through it that people like Marc Passio touch on in his lectures. It is the concept that passivity, peace, and love are not the answer to the problems caused by a runaway group of evil beings.

Marc Passio (love him, hate him, assume he is disinfo either way he is an interesting character) will tell you that the New Testament concept of "turn the other cheek" is an inverted satanic message used to keep the masses from overthrowing their leaders. Moreover that you will never destroy evil with peace, that fighting fire with fire is the only effective method. I think this film is a perfect example of this: you don't see Rowdy Roddy Piper getting on a soapbox to deliver a rousing speech to convince his friends to fight with him. No, he beats the ever loving crap out of him. And it worked!

The message to take away from this film is that there is supreme evil in this world, there is no room for grey area. And that supreme evil will take the most extreme and violent path to subvert the masses to obeying their orders. That if you simply turn the other cheek in the Christian way, you will be ground to dust by these entities. In this case, using violence to defend oneself against these monsters is not only recommended, it is The Only Way.

Von_Turin

A lot has been said in the comments already but I would like to add some information.

In the movie you'll see references to a 8-cycle for one day => 8 hrs sleep / 8 hrs work / 8 hrs play.

Released in '88...

They Live => Evil Yeht...

It's based on a short story called "8 o' clock in the morning" by Ray Nelson. Didn't find this out myself but thanks to a guy who does decodes about stuff on youtube. Not supporting all he does and assumes but he has some very nice insights at times.

Cheerz

Hell, the government doesn't need subliminal messages, at least not in the USA. People here are so wrapped up in their daily lives of survival and work and cell phones, that they'll believe any old thing they are told as long as it agrees with the comforting lies they already accept.

Paracelsus

Awesome movie!

Reading Castaneda's - The Fire From Within was my own sunglasses moment. On numerous occasions I went off into the desert to gather power - heck, still do!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database