Movie: The Truman Show (1998)

Anonymous

Reactions
4.75 star(s) Rating: 4.75/5 4 Votes
Title: The Truman Show (1998)

Tagline: On the air. Unaware.

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Director: Peter Weir

Cast: Jim Carrey, Laura Linney, Noah Emmerich, Natascha McElhone, Holland Taylor, Ed Harris, Brian Delate, Paul Giamatti, Peter Krause, Blair Slater, Heidi Schanz, Ron Taylor, Don Taylor, Ted Raymond, O-Lan Jones, Krista Lynn Landolfi, Harry Shearer, Jeanette Miller, Philip Glass, Una Damon, Joe Minjares, Philip Baker Hall, John Pleshette, Terry Camilleri, Joel McKinnon Miller

Release: 1998-06-04

Runtime: 103

Plot: Truman Burbank is the star of "The Truman Show", a 24-hour-a-day "reality" TV show that broadcasts every aspect of his life -- live and in color -- without his knowledge. His entire life has been an unending soap opera for consumption by the rest of the world. And everyone he knows -- including his wife and his best friend -- is really an actor, paid to be part of his life.

milhaus

Reactions
Did anyone here ever think that the "God" character (director), Christof, wanted to wake Truman up to his reality?
Imagine raising a child from birth to be the star of a television show, but when he grows up it turns out he is really boring.
People won't be watching in record numbers for sixty more years of this garbage...
What does God do? He writes Truman off while giving him one of the greatest send offs and finales in television history.

He makes Truman personally think he has triumphed in the process. Who can say otherwise? Everyone saw it unfold live on television, after all.

Christof can then tweak the variables for the next project. The Human Show will be even bigger!
More characters that don't know they are on a TV show...maybe a whole family, or a whole town that doesn't know they are on a TV show!

Truman will be fine. He could live in seclusion off of syndication the rest of his life but we all know he will be starring in a new reality show in the "real world" where he expresses his disdain for Christof and the The Human Show. It works out nicely for everyone.

The feud. The drama.
Ratings gold.

Searching

Reactions
All the world is a stage. A person can apply the flat earth realm aspect of this movie, but if one is so inclined to think a step past that, the message the movie conveys is that we are all characters in a false realm. I once thought this movie's meaning lie (how fitting the past tense of lay is LIE) within flat earth, but the meaning goes beyond flat earth. Carrey's character realizes his entire world is a lie.

Ultimately, the character strives to break free of his false world, his false job, his false friends, his false wife, and his false belief system. He realizes NOTHING he knows is true.

The common denominator to every rabbit hole I go down is that everything is false, and what are we but a conglomeration of our experiences? When one realizes his life is built upon a lie, it takes an extraordinary human being to admit that since he is the sum of lies, that he himself is a lie.

We live in a false reality. While I do not succumb to the ancestor simulation that Elon Musk presents, every subject, when delved into deep enough, produces the same result. All religions, philosophy, history, introspective literature, science, etc. points to the same answer. We live in Maya, an illusion.

Nothing we have been taught holds up to any type of scrutiny, and yet when one has come to the conclusion that all he knows is a lie, he is unable to accept that he is also part of the illlusion, just another character in the play. "But no, I'm real. I'm real. Even though I know the persona I identify with has been educated from the cradle to believe things I know now are not true, I am still real." The "I" is the last gatekeeper. There is no "I".

The last person one scrutinizes in this realm is himself, and the last person anyone wants to be honest with is himself. The best place to hide buried treasure is the last place anybody would ever look, and nobody wants to look within.

Ego is a hell of a drug.

Last edited:

milhaus

Reactions
The last person one scrutinizes in this realm is himself, and the last person anyone wants to be honest with is himself. The best place to hide buried treasure is the last place anybody would ever look, and nobody wants to look within.

Ego is a hell of a drug.
This is exactly why I think that he would go on another reality show. Christof will always be directing him...even indirectly because he made Truman think he won.

The last thing he says is his own catchphrase! He is still playing his part.

Last edited:

Red Bird

Reactions
This show, and The Matrix, are very compelling.

What they show me is that if one buys into them by believing it’s all a Truman show or matrix (or further buying into Gnosticism- special knowledge, or the occult- hidden knowledge, which is what these movies really represent) you’ve been captured into the hive mind (one world, New Order). The ones who kill, steal (history), and destroy.

If I wasn’t a Christian I would still view this as what they want the hive to believe and repudiate it. Who benefits? If somebodies core beliefs are the same as the Cartel they’re captured, and no worries about them no matter what historical truth they uncover. Movies/Hollywood/actors are perfect examples of the cartel.

Last edited:

milhaus

Reactions
This show, and The Matrix, are very compelling.

What they show me is that if one buys into them by believing it’s all a Truman show or matrix (or further buying into Gnosticism- special knowledge, or the occult- hidden knowledge, which is what these movies really represent) you’ve been captured into the hive mind (one world, New Order). The ones who kill, steal (history), and destroy.

If I wasn’t a Christian I would still view this as what they want the hive to believe and repudiate it. Who benefits? If somebodies core beliefs are the same as the Cartel they’re captured, and no worries about them no matter what historical truth they uncover. Movies/Hollywood/actors are perfect examples of the cartel.
Right. The same people that created an unfulfilling society that ultimately feels unreal because everything is a copy of a copy are the same ones that are making these movies and pushing their religion onto the masses and have been doing so openly since at least the late 1800s. But the thing is that if you make it seem underground and rebellious, and you make it seem like all the institutions have failed on their own and not by design, then people will naturally start looking for alternatives. You have to trick people into thinking it was their idea for them to accept it with open arms. The long con. They are making things unreal while telling you none of this is real. If that isn't a red flag to someone then nothing will be and there is nothing you can say to them.

I was trying to make a joke before of what the Truman Show 2 would look like because they want to make Truman into this heroic character but I don't see it that way. He got duped for ratings and money and will turn around and start selling his reality to people which is just an extension of the director's reality.

Gnosticism, especially modern Gnosticism is a catch-22 if you believe all matter is evil and a lie, then why doesn't that extend to spirits?
Or why is it that the spirits are telling the truth and not working in tandem with "Them" on Earth?
What makes them so trustworthy? Who is to say that the spirits aren't an extension of the matrix? A failsafe program to keep people locked in? Ghosts that are nothing more but lines of code.

I'm glad someone else is aware of the hive mind. I'm not sure how literal you mean it but I think it is very literal as I have been within it and without and keep tabs on the pattern of people's behavior. They are synced.
I have tested some of these things because people have been saying that we create our own reality. A lot of it is self-delusion, but there is a very real aspect to it as well. In addition, they have created or are creating an overlay on reality. These are my opinions from personal experience and I am only saying this because people that just started learning about conspiracies, or younger people that didn't have the chance to grow up in the way we did will have no context for what is real and what is not so they will be fooled more easily. I'm sure a lot of us know that things were not always the way they are now.

Anyway, I had to ask myself some questions about all of this. When I was younger I always figured when the antichrist showed us wonders it would be like a David Copperfield special on TV or something, haha. But what would be more effective? He would make you think that you were doing these things all on your own. See? You're the star of the show.
You are God in a cage. Break free!

Just like how Truman became "enlightened".

Red Bird

Reactions
Right. The same people that created an unfulfilling society that ultimately feels unreal because everything is a copy of a copy are the same ones that are making these movies and pushing their religion onto the masses and have been doing so openly since at least the late 1800s. But the thing is that if you make it seem underground and rebellious, and you make it seem like all the institutions have failed on their own and not by design, then people will naturally start looking for alternatives. You have to trick people into thinking it was their idea for them to accept it with open arms. The long con. They are making things unreal while telling you none of this is real. If that isn't a red flag to someone then nothing will be and there is nothing you can say to them.

I was trying to make a joke before of what the Truman Show 2 would look like because they want to make Truman into this heroic character but I don't see it that way. He got duped for ratings and money and will turn around and start selling his reality to people which is just an extension of the director's reality.

Gnosticism, especially modern Gnosticism is a catch-22 if you believe all matter is evil and a lie, then why doesn't that extend to spirits?
Or why is it that the spirits are telling the truth and not working in tandem with "Them" on Earth?
What makes them so trustworthy? Who is to say that the spirits aren't an extension of the matrix? A failsafe program to keep people locked in? Ghosts that are nothing more but lines of code.

I'm glad someone else is aware of the hive mind. I'm not sure how literal you mean it but I think it is very literal as I have been within it and without and keep tabs on the pattern of people's behavior. They are synced.
I have tested some of these things because people have been saying that we create our own reality. A lot of it is self-delusion, but there is a very real aspect to it as well. In addition, they have created or are creating an overlay on reality. These are my opinions from personal experience and I am only saying this because people that just started learning about conspiracies, or younger people that didn't have the chance to grow up in the way we did will have no context for what is real and what is not so they will be fooled more easily. I'm sure a lot of us know that things were not always the way they are now.

Anyway, I had to ask myself some questions about all of this. When I was younger I always figured when the antichrist showed us wonders it would be like a David Copperfield special on TV or something, haha. But what would be more effective? He would make you think that you were doing these things all on your own. See? You're the star of the show.
You are God in a cage. Break free!

Just like how Truman became "enlightened".
Yes. Create and Control both sides to get the outcome you plan. Hegelian, and they are masters.
In the Truman show there is ‘god’ behind the scenes, in The Matrix Nemo realizes he is ‘god’ (behind the machine). There are many things in these movies. However I’m sick of it- all their signaling and oh so secret crap, that has been going on since the garden. Did God really say? Fruit of knowledge... nothing has changed only the ‘actors’.
Sometimes I pine for the days I thought a movie was just entertainment and the more special effects the better.

premamotion

Reactions
Same like Pleasentville... cannot understand really what they are trying to tell us.. :(

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database