Movie: The Dark Crystal (1982)

Juzzer

Reactions
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Dark Crystal (1982)

Tagline: Another World, Another Time... In the Age of Wonder.

Genre: Fantasy

Director: Jim Henson, Frank Oz

Cast: Jim Henson, Kathryn Mullen, Frank Oz, Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire, Brian Muehl, Stephen Garlick, Lisa Maxwell, Billie Whitelaw, Percy Edwards, Barry Dennen, Michael Kilgarriff, Jerry Nelson, Thick Wilson, John Baddeley, David Buck, Charles Collingwood, Sean Barrett, Patrick Monckton, Susan Westerby, Joseph O'Conor, Deep Roy, Kiran Shah

Release: 1982-12-17

Runtime: 93

Plot: On another planet in the distant past, a Gelfling embarks on a quest to find the missing shard of a magical crystal and restore order to his world, before the grotesque race of Skeksis find and use the crystal for evil.

OP
Juzzer

Juzzer

Reactions
This was one of my favorites growing up, upon closer inspection.. A story influenced by the Ancient Near East again.

From the wiki we get..
Henson's original concept was set in a world called Mithra, a wooded land with talking mountains, walking boulders and animal-plant hybrids. The original plot involved a malevolent race called the Reptus group, which took power in a coup against the peaceful Eunaze.
Accounts differ as to who constructed the language, and on what it was based. Gary Kurtz stated that the Skeksis language was conceived by author Alan Garner, who based it on Ancient Egyptian, while Odell stated it was he who created it, and that it was formed from Indo-European roots.
The language of the Podlings was based on Serbo-Croatian, with Kurtz noting that audience members fluent in Polish, Russian and other Slavic languages could understand individual words, but not whole sentences.

Image result for the dark crystal
Image result for Anunnaki

I mean you can't get much more Anunnaki than that really? but it doesn't end there :ROFLMAO:

whitewave

Reactions
This movie had a lot of little secret messages in it with the Skeksis sucking out the life force of the Gelflings in order to live longer, or enslaving them. The "alien" creatures as life-sucking overlords to the humanish looking Gelflings.

Plus, I know it made an lasting impact on my kids cuz now that I'm older when they hear all the noise I make getting up from the couch, they comment, "Augrah, always Augrah". (The old crone that helped the Gelflings on their quest). :)

The floor gets further away every year.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database