Movie: Struggle - The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski (2018)

milhaus

Reactions
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski (2018)

Genre: Documentary

Director: Irek Dobrowolski

Release: 2018-12-21

Runtime: 104

Plot: The remarkable life story of the pre-war Polish artist Stanislav Szukalski, documented by the American friends he made late in life.

OP
milhaus

milhaus

Reactions
I came accross Szukalski's work today which i found really fascinating and found out there was a documentary.
Has anyone seen it? As you can see from the trailer, they describe his work as coming from "another dimension". He was fusing Mayan culture with Slavic culture and a few others. The commentary from the guests was basically that "he had gone too far", I guess as far as their suspension of disbelief goes.

Szukalski mentions that the last deluge was 14,000 years ago. Later you find out his theory that all cultures started from Easter Island and spread out. The documentary tells us that all of his pre-WW2 work was destroyed (175 sculptures, hundreds of paintings and drawings) after his studio was bombed by the Germans. Afterwards, when he came back to America, he didn't sculpt for forty years. They then spent a lot of time dissecting his anti-semitism and then essentially laughing at his theory that he called Zermatism.

Beginning in 1940, Szukalski devoted most of his time examining the mysteries of prehistoric ancient history of mankind, the formation and shaping of languages, faiths, customs, arts, and migration of peoples. He tried to unravel the origin of geographical names, gods, and symbols that have survived in various forms in various cultures. This work, called "Protong" (in Polish, "Macimową"), continued uninterruptedly for over 40 years. He wrote a manuscript of 42 volumes, totaling more than 25,000 pages, and including 14,000 illustrations.[3] The volumes covered a variety of issues; his pen drawings of artifacts, which he considered "witnesses", were done to confirm his theories.

Zermatism, Szukalski's concept of world history, postulated that all human culture derived from post-deluge Easter Island and that in all human languages one can find traces of the original, ancient mother-tongue of mankind. In his view, humanity was locked in an eternal struggle with the Sons of Yeti ("Yetinsyny"), the offspring of Yeti and humans, who had enslaved humanity from time immemorial. He claimed that the figures of the god Pan on Greek vases depict creatures that actually existed, the product of Yeti apes raping human women. Szukalski used his considerable artistic talents to illustrate his theories, which, despite their lack of scientific merit, have gained a cult following largely on their aesthetic value.
Perhaps a bit out there for some, but I do find his idea of "tribal flood scumlines" interesting.
Here I will repost the contents of this blog which will also give you a better understanding of Szukalski.

Szukalski was a polymath who, over a lifetime, developed a science that integrated singular theories in geology (cyclic deluges), anthropology (universal pictographs), linguistics (Protong, a universal first language), zoology (Yeti), anthropolitics (Yetinsyn), with many etceteras. Common to his arguments is an overwhelming accretion of the visual evidence.

“Looking through thousands of illustrated books, I have learned how to SEE. Since childhood I have been addicted to seeing ‘pictures’ in books… I learned not only to look, but really SEE, for I did not know English yet and had to jump to CONCLUSIONS. In fact, I evolved the, to other people unnatural, instinct for UNDERSTANDING things, without knowing what they were. Looking became my life’s OBSESSION. When I am dying I will despair over the fact that I will no more be able to Look and See” (p14).

A sample of Szukalski’s science, on the subject of tribal flood scumlines:

“When the Secondary Globe (the lavaic ocean bottoms) began to submerge in the beginning of the last Farsolar Epoch, the global seas were forced to glide off the Primary (Geologic) Globe. The soil of all the lands that were re-emerging was washed off by the departing seas and the water of the globe became very muddy. In fact, Plato, after visiting Egyptian temples, learned of the chronicles that spoke of the Mediterranan Sea as ‘The Sea of Mud’. Homer’s Iliad was about Ilium (the Latin word for ancient Troy) which in Protong means ‘Mire Remembered’. The state of Illinois, U.S.A. is named after the Illinois River, and in Protong (‘Illi No J(e) Z’) actually means ‘Mire made-Born is From’.

Wherever the terrified diluvial escapees shored re-emerging lands, their faces were caked with mud. And since each swam differently, each would emerge with individual muddy water ripples across the face. So when they lay there in the mud in the deadly faint, exhausted beyond words, and were found by earlier arrivees on that islet, the facial mud markings were remembered and the Flood Scumlines became the tribal markings. I have an entire volume on these Scumlines with 195 such drawings from every part of the globe” (p31).

Here are a few examples:

A head from Rapa Nui (Easter Island). “The horizontal line [the Flood Scumline] below the nose clearly shows that the ancestor swam to that island in the last Nearsolar Deluge” (p19).

“In Equador and the vicinity of the Panama Canal there are Indians who paint their bodies with black lines emulating the waters in which they stood. They repeat the same lines on their faces, but the topmost of these crosses their noses, just below the eyes. This means that their diluvial ancestor buried his face under the water while swimming and made a stronger stroke with his arms when he came up to get air” (p25).

“This Eskimo’s diluvial ancestor swam with the nostrils under water, coming up to inhale while starting his arm strokes” (p20).

“One of the many funerary jars for holding the ashes of the cremated dead. This one is from prehistoric Poland… Atop the head reposes the cover in the shape of Easter Island. On their necks are many metal necklaces and, as in this one, the image vomits the salt water of the sea. These rings on the neck emulate the water ripples spreading from a drowning person. Usually, there is a large ‘spzilla’ (Polish for ‘pin’) as a Rebus for ‘Z Bi La’ [Protong], which tells us that the person cremated came ‘From Killed (by) Flood’ land and to there was returning” (p22).

“The Chiaco Indian tribe of Equador continue to mark their faces with the Flood Scumline on the very rim of their upper lip” (p20).

“A funerary portrait of a young man drawn from the lid of a large jar that holds the ashes of a cremated man. It was excavated in Italy and dates from the Etruscan period. On the man’s face the ancient tribal Flood Scumline was engraved, crossing his mask just below his nose, emulating a beard. However, the vertical direction of continuous lines tells us that this is really the draining water, heavy with mud.

“The two small circles on the chin and the edge of ripples around them made me turn the drawing upside down and there I saw that the mask resembled the Great Lioness (Easter Island), streaked with sliding-off water as if re-emerging from under the Flood” (p26).

An indication that contemporary Manapes also survived the Deluge:

“Among ancient carvings of the Dorset Culture of the Point Barrow region in Alaska, this mask was discovered which white men assume is an imaginary Devil. But you can plainly see that it is a portrait of a local Sasquatch. Incidentally, in the vertical lines we have a marvelous document. They were carved there to let us know that this creature, like the ancestors of the Alaskan Eskimos, also saved himself from the Deluge, for any lines, vertical or horizontal, represent ‘waters’, hence the Great Flood. There is still another pictograph, besides the vertical draining-off of muddy water. It is the horizontal line just below the nostrils which, by being placed above the water level, tell us that his breath, his SOUL, was saved” (p77).

“Those that saved themselves from drowning, noticed that these creatures also had the fortune to survive, so they named them accordingly, everywhere on this globe in one language, my Protong. The present name Sasquatch was then ‘Sa Z Gladz’, which means ‘Here From Destroyed’ (i.e. the deluged continent)” (p75-6).

Szukalski’s Science of Zermatism « Unurthed

Anyway, I thought that his art would be of interest to many of the users here. I have compiled his work and will share the images now.
Counterfeited-Skull-.jpg.jpg6a3c27b7b8baa6a5329a89872d5d5f9a.jpgFacade.jpgmonument-to-modjeska-1.jpgSzukalski-Lincoln-resized.jpgOlive-Ann-Oatman.jpgstruggle_sampler_page_03_800x.jpgnearolarepoch_ma124356__124356.jpgmhvtgg-b781060360z-120130207191851000gtg1cddp7-1.jpgmhvtgj-b781060360z.120130207191851000gtg1cdn8d.2.jpgmonument-to-modjeska-1.jpgPolivarusam_122201__122201.jpg

Sources/further reading:
Szukalski’s Science of Zermatism « Unurthed
Zermatism
Gallery – Szukalski Stanislav – Official Site

Attachments

Last edited:

trismegistus

Reactions
Fascinating. I will have to watch the documentary at another time, I am curious how much it actually goes into his theories. Since it is produced by Netflix, I would imagine they would shy away from a lot of the content that could be considered subversive or if they do they will write it off as the "fantastical vision" of an artist.

I love the idea of the horizontal line representing a flood scumline. This man clearly has seen what many in archaeology and anthropology fail to see - - more evidence of cataclysmic flooding in relatively recent human history. I feel like it is some ways a fractal of what us wee folks here at Stolen History are doing: taking a look at established historical narratives from a perspective that isn't mired in the dogma of academia and being pigeonholed into one field of study our whole lives where we have a Big Ass Hammer and everything looks like nails.

OP
milhaus

milhaus

Reactions
Fascinating. I will have to watch the documentary at another time, I am curious how much it actually goes into his theories. Since it is produced by Netflix, I would imagine they would shy away from a lot of the content that could be considered subversive or if they do they will write it off as the "fantastical vision" of an artist.

I love the idea of the horizontal line representing a flood scumline. This man clearly has seen what many in archaeology and anthropology fail to see - - more evidence of cataclysmic flooding in relatively recent human history. I feel like it is some ways a fractal of what us wee folks here at Stolen History are doing: taking a look at established historical narratives from a perspective that isn't mired in the dogma of academia and being pigeonholed into one field of study our whole lives where we have a Big Ass Hammer and everything looks like nails.
Yes! This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw his work; that it is so similar to what a lot of users here have been uncovering. I had a feeling he was going to say some interesting things and didn't know how they would spin it if they included anything at all.

They spend the first half of the documentary building him up as a genius, but when he mentions that the last deluge was 14,000 years ago and is presenting some of his ideas this one guy remarks that it was "funny at first" until they realized he was serious, I suppose.
It would be interesting to see the unedited tapes.

Then later the documentary goes on to talk about his involvement with Polish nationalism before WW2 where everyone does a 180 on him. That's when they introduce his scumline theory and Zermatism. He was putting together all these binders of magazine clippings where he documented the visual similarities between different cultures. They undermine all of this by saying he was just eccentric or something along those lines.

The rest of the documentary (near the end at this point) talks about the far right in Poland. In other words, it went as you would expect.
But I would recommend watching to get a better idea of his art. His sculptures are fascinating to look at and they did a great job with the presentation.
I would like for his scumline theory to get more attention because, at the very least, it is such a unique perspective or way of seeing things that we could all benefit from it.

BStankman

Reactions
Incredible. Thank you for posting this.
Stanislav Szukalski is a genius, and it looks like he has been hidden from the world for a reason.

He sees the same things we do.
Olive-Ann-Oatman.jpg Oatman-62.jpg

The mixture of mezzo American and Art Deco really resonates with me.

cecora_ma1.jpg anglomericanduplicity_ma132650__132650.jpg

And makes me wonder if this is part of what needed to be suppressed in 1939.

49858282_761676254204750_2037171685910642663_n.jpg 148807_430925446964052_1028845778_n.jpg 51287125_180062949633797_329835214696310391_n.jpg

I indend to watch the Netflix soon, but I am not expecting to find much except spin.

Ice Nine

Reactions
Great thread, never heard of this guy or his work, no big surprise there.

The flood scrumline observation really struck a cord with me and as pointed out by @milhaus, the visual similarities between cultures always gets my attention. Similar myths and legends worldwide with cultures that supposedly had no contact with each other.

"Szukalski mentions that the last deluge was 14,000 years ago." I like this, because that is close to what I believe as well.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database