Movie: Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984)

BStankman

Reactions
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984)

Tagline: George Orwell's Terrifying Vision Comes To The Screen.

Genre: Drama, Science Fiction, Thriller, War

Director: Michael Radford

Cast: John Hurt, Richard Burton, Suzanna Hamilton, Cyril Cusack, Gregor Fisher, James Walker, Andrew Wilde, David Cann, Peter Frye, Roger Lloyd Pack, David Trevena, Anthony Benson, Phyllis Logan, Garry Cooper

Release: 1984-10-10

Runtime: 113

Plot: George Orwell's novel of a totalitarian future society in which a man whose daily work is rewriting history tries to rebel by falling in love.

OP
BStankman

BStankman

Reactions
War is peace
freedom is slavery
ignorance is strength

“1984”: A warning, not an instruction manual

Was this a warning? Or was it a clue to how our history has been fabricated and the methods used?
And predictive programming for what was in store for us.

Patriot Act
Affordable Health Care Act
Both double plus good​

you can pull quotes from this forever.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“So long as they (the Proles) continued to work and breed, their other activities were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern...Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labour. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent.”
― George Orwell, 1984

milhaus

Reactions
Jeez, it's like a summary of some of the stuff we've uncovered on this site.

Everyone read this and was concerned that it was going to come to pass, but it was already in effect when this damn thing was written.
I just recently had this realization myself. I was thinking of the title itself and how there is so much emphasis put on the year "1984".
Supposedly, the year comes from the fact the book was written in 1948 and Orwell simply switched the 4 and 8. But after reading the book, why would we still assume that was the actual year the events took place in? Just like the world we live in now. Can anyone really be sure what year it is? I think the book is worth a re-read with all of this in mind and how, even with the truth right in front of us, we are intentionally misled with predetermined options (usually two with an alternative to that) supplied to us.

Look at any major "event" and you will see the conspiracy theory is always available because they know there will be people pushing those theories trying to find the truth which then acts as a soft disclosure mechanism so by the time the truth is certified by the mainstream (Snowden) the unthinking masses will simply say "we already knew that". I think this board and what is uncovered here, however, is very important. The downside that I see is it goes hand in hand with convincing everyone we live in a matrix (not saying we don't) which will make more and more people tune out or become nihilistic. Look how people already don't care about the 4th amendment because they want security. What will they think when they find out it was all a lie anyway? I have always thought it was strange that you spend your childhood being taught about these great men, only to discover in High School how wicked they actually were. To me, that isn't an accident because look at us now. There are so many people that revile the past and a large part of that might have to just come down to how we were deceived as children.

We have been conditioned from an early age to thought police ourselves because of societal pressure and more recently, open surveillance. We also get locked into false paradigms which leaves little to no room for finding truth even when, most of the time, it is blatant and in your face. And once you start seeing things for how they really are, you question why you never saw it in the first place.

This optical illusion really made me start to understand on a deeper level because I finally was at the point I could grasp the implications of how our minds operate.

I notice more and more people seem absent-minded and not at all aware of their surroundings. My current theory (that I didn't full come to on my own but I can't remember who made the original comment) is that there is a schism happening right now. There are those that have put all their attention towards the illusory carnival world on television, which makes them live vicariously and believe the things happening to a character(s) are happening to themselves like in Fahrenheit 451, and then those who are removed from the illusion, either by choice, disinterest, or geographical location. Obviously, isn't that clear cut.
The point is to eventually get everyone on the same page by engaging their interests and nature. We are already at the point where we can't be sure whether we are making decisions or that we are being directed - relating to data mining and what algorithms show us.

The way I see 1984 working currently is that there are two political parties and both sides are being taught to HATE the other. Both sides think they are winning while our already imaginary rights are stripped away. This society feels to me more like a prison system and not how humans would choose to live on their own. We wouldn't live like this if our technology wasn't locked down by the military and large corporations.

Most of the people I talk to want Big Brother to take care of their every need. So, yeah. 1984 is here and has been since before we were born but is always taught as a warning even though the year 1984 has come and gone. As far as we know.

milhaus

Reactions
From what I remember reading a couple years ago, he was allegedly part of the Fabian Society, which still owns "George Orwell's" writings to this day. The story goes that he learned of their plans for world communism which would be accomplished through social engineering and wanted to expose them. Thus, 1984.

I think that's just another clever partial truth. The entire project was for programming, conditioning, social engineering, etc. Another book written by committee, delivered by another character from "history". These stories are frameworks for our minds to operate within. Truth is stranger than fiction because truth operates outside the framework.

tupperaware

Reactions
The only movie Bio on Orwell was a BBC docudrama for .....friggin sake - TV! Read half of this 1984: The masterpiece that killed George Orwell. There is big screen drama oozing out of every pore.

How Orwell has not been lionized in an Oscar winning moving about him, the book and times then and now (as they forecast it then) is the big conspiracy.

Fading Johnny Depp is just now old enough to play Orwell during his dying and triumphant last days. Just the ticket Depp needs. Tim Burton stay away.

"Jumping the Shark" is where a TV series does something really lunatic and cringe worthy to get enough ratings to stay afloat a few more episodes.

In this case "Hollywood" not doing a major big screen Bio of Orwell is like "Cloaking the Chloroform" since a decent film which would be very likely, would reveal the current surveillance state for what it is - a wad of chloroform soaked tissue right under our noses.

God forbid Orwell gets an Oscar. That would be the ruin of it all.

codis

Reactions
And then there is a question of how did Mr. Orwell know all these things 70 years ago?
AFAIK, he mostly referred to the (then) contemporary Soviet Union.
The permanent wars, the omnipresent aggressive propaganda including 5-minute-hate like rituals, continuous surveillance, and a constant retroactive falsification of history were the hallmarks of Stalins communist "worker's paradise".

A remember a vivid example of history falsification (albeit have no link yet) - several versions of the same photograph a a post-revolution event, showing several members of the communist party. As they fell out of favor and were removed from earth & Soviet history, they were"photoshopped out" one by one.

Since Orwell (Blair) had links to MI6 and participated in the Spanish war, he might have known something. Like Stalin's plans to start the Proletarian World Revolution ?
Why did he amass troups near the border he now shared with Hitler's Germany in the month preceeding "Operation Barbarossa", including all the tanks and fighter planes on the (his) Western front ? To let the Wehrmacht destroy them quicker, as they did ???
Does anyone believe the Russian BT tank (with discardable treads over rubber wheels and up to 100km/h max. speed) was designed for the pathetic Soviet road network, or the fields and forests ?

BTW, having read 1984, I find the epilog about NewSpeak the most interesting part, and the most relevant today.

Red Bird

Reactions
I’ve noticed how It portrays normal people as cattle just for wanting to be left alone and live a simple life. Sure there are morons, but most just want to live life- yes, working hard with family and friends. In fact that is the good life.

Notice how ‘people of walmart’ Are laughed at (and I get it those pics are disgusting). However most Walmarters are just normal people. While trans weirdos are glorified, etc.
same with fat people. You can say anything as mean as possible about them, when most of us know overweight people who are just fine. I always think at least their bad habits are visible unlike psychopaths, eh hem.
Programming comes in many forms.

Food for thought: I talked a Libertarian into stating that we should be SO free that it’s allowable to sell yourself into slavery. In other words, free to slaves. Right.

My antidote is the unalienable rights thing. Humans shouldn’t be treated as property.- bought and sold. This includes prostitutes, surragote mothers/babies, fetal tissue, baby parts, dna, etc. it’s a downward spiral. Added to t his is not let yourself get into a situation where you are only a thing- a consumer, a human resource. Freedom of property is closely related.

Last edited:

codis

Reactions
Food for thought: I talked a Libertarian into stating that we should be SO free that it’s allowable to sell yourself into slavery. In other words, free to slaves. Right.
Aren't we slaves already ?
People are de facto owned by the state, and, in most cases, don't mind. Who has actually reconsidered the government's authority ?
Even more, they enslave themselves by technology. Do cars, smartphones or GPS make you freer, or not ?

I think this will not change unless people wake up, and face reality. Looking on most fellow men, I fear this will only happen with the next mud flood or cosmic event ...

Red Bird

Reactions
Aren't we slaves already ?
People are de facto owned by the state, and, in most cases, don't mind. Who has actually reconsidered the government's authority ?
Even more, they enslave themselves by technology. Do cars, smartphones or GPS make you freer, or not ?

I think this will not change unless people wake up, and face reality. Looking on most fellow men, I fear this will only happen with the next mud flood or cosmic event ...
Well yes but I was trying to get across the more subtle ways we are enslaved by propaganda and brainwashing that the book portrays. The real underlying problem is fear. All their propaganda goes to making us hate, or disdain, each Other too. Like those stupid enslaved people (which is us)- THEY got us into this mess, not the elite villains. When actually most of us just want to be left alone.
In fact most people are so good they can’t believe what is actually being done to them. Why would they lie to us, spray us with chem trails, shoot us with microwaves, want all that power and our money/resources...

Maybe the real psych out is making us believe most of us are mindless when actually most of us are woke. Or at least a significant amount of people.

Last edited:

codis

Reactions
Maybe the real psych out is making us believe most of us are mindless when actually most of us are woke. Or at least a significant amount of people.
Agree - divide and conquer. Make them hate each other, for every possible reason - young against old, men against women, straight against gay, rich against poor, christian against muslim against jews ...
Install trigger words in their brains at the youngest possible age, designed to shut off any rational discussion ("Nazi", "antisemite", "...denier", "conspiracy theorist", ...), to keep them from discovering their shared commonalities.
It takes long to overcome this brainwashing - at least it took decades for me. Don't want to claim I'm the brightest bulb in the box ...

milhaus

Reactions
same with fat people. You can say anything as mean as possible about them, when most of us know overweight people who are just fine. I always think at least their bad habits are visible unlike psychopaths, eh hem.
Not always bad habits.
I have been reading people's accounts how a certain psych med make people gain weight and then they are unable to lose it. I'm talking about people who are eating right and exercising daily. Unable to lose the weight.
Imagine being depressed and then put on medication that makes you gain 100 pounds, further alienating you from the society you already felt disconnected from.
Then being told the problem is something in you that needs to be fixed, and there's no consideration for looking at society as a whole and trying to heal that. Everything was made into a separate institution so problems (for us) couldn't be solved.

But the pills make you happy, right?
No. I don't feel anything anymore at all.
Glad you're improving. Start taking this other pill as well.

RecycledSoul

Reactions
We watched this movie as a required part of the public school system curriculum here in Central Indiana. I don’t remember if it was high school or junior high, though.

It never struck me as odd, until today (knowing things now I wish I had then). In fact, I had forgotten it existed.

WarningGuy

Reactions
I just recently had this realization myself. I was thinking of the title itself and how there is so much emphasis put on the year "1984".
Supposedly, the year comes from the fact the book was written in 1948 and Orwell simply switched the 4 and 8. But after reading the book, why would we still assume that was the actual year the events took place in? Just like the world we live in now. Can anyone really be sure what year it is? I think the book is worth a re-read with all of this in mind and how, even with the truth right in front of us, we are intentionally misled with predetermined options (usually two with an alternative to that) supplied to us.

Look at any major "event" and you will see the conspiracy theory is always available because they know there will be people pushing those theories trying to find the truth which then acts as a soft disclosure mechanism so by the time the truth is certified by the mainstream (Snowden) the unthinking masses will simply say "we already knew that". I think this board and what is uncovered here, however, is very important. The downside that I see is it goes hand in hand with convincing everyone we live in a matrix (not saying we don't) which will make more and more people tune out or become nihilistic. Look how people already don't care about the 4th amendment because they want security. What will they think when they find out it was all a lie anyway? I have always thought it was strange that you spend your childhood being taught about these great men, only to discover in High School how wicked they actually were. To me, that isn't an accident because look at us now. There are so many people that revile the past and a large part of that might have to just come down to how we were deceived as children.

We have been conditioned from an early age to thought police ourselves because of societal pressure and more recently, open surveillance. We also get locked into false paradigms which leaves little to no room for finding truth even when, most of the time, it is blatant and in your face. And once you start seeing things for how they really are, you question why you never saw it in the first place.

This optical illusion really made me start to understand on a deeper level because I finally was at the point I could grasp the implications of how our minds operate.

I notice more and more people seem absent-minded and not at all aware of their surroundings. My current theory (that I didn't full come to on my own but I can't remember who made the original comment) is that there is a schism happening right now. There are those that have put all their attention towards the illusory carnival world on television, which makes them live vicariously and believe the things happening to a character(s) are happening to themselves like in Fahrenheit 451, and then those who are removed from the illusion, either by choice, disinterest, or geographical location. Obviously, isn't that clear cut.
The point is to eventually get everyone on the same page by engaging their interests and nature. We are already at the point where we can't be sure whether we are making decisions or that we are being directed - relating to data mining and what algorithms show us.

The way I see 1984 working currently is that there are two political parties and both sides are being taught to HATE the other. Both sides think they are winning while our already imaginary rights are stripped away. This society feels to me more like a prison system and not how humans would choose to live on their own. We wouldn't live like this if our technology wasn't locked down by the military and large corporations.

Most of the people I talk to want Big Brother to take care of their every need. So, yeah. 1984 is here and has been since before we were born but is always taught as a warning even though the year 1984 has come and gone. As far as we know.
OMG i remember watching that episode of the Curiosity Show as a kid. I used to race home from school so i wouldn't miss any of the episodes. But you know what i can't remember any of it. lol

whitewave

Reactions
Well yes but I was trying to get across the more subtle ways we are enslaved by propaganda and brainwashing that the book portrays. The real underlying problem is fear. All their propaganda goes to making us hate, or disdain, each Other too. Like those stupid enslaved people (which is us)- THEY got us into this mess, not the elite villains. When actually most of us just want to be left alone.
In fact most people are so good they can’t believe what is actually being done to them. Why would they lie to us, spray us with chem trails, shoot us with microwaves, want all that power and our money/resources...

I once wrote an article elsewhere about this very thing, if you care to read it.

whitewave

Reactions
Just out of curiosity - what is your opinion of AboveTopSecret today ?
It's gone completely to hell. The insane are running the asylum. There was a time that some pretty clever folk who did research, were imaginative and knowledgeable were posting some good stuff. Those days are dead and stinking.

codis

Reactions
It's gone completely to hell. The insane are running the asylum. There was a time that some pretty clever folk who did research, were imaginative and knowledgeable were posting some good stuff. Those days are dead and stinking.
I asked because I had been reading ATS regularly some years ago.
The stuff got more and more over the top, that even FE looks scientific serious in comparision. Even I realized there is something seriusly wrong...
That was a while after 2009.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database