Movie: Metropolis (1927), who was it really made by?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Metropolis (1927)

Tagline: There can be no understanding between the hands and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator.

Genre: Drama, Science Fiction

Director: Fritz Lang

Cast: Alfred Abel, Gustav Fröhlich, Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Fritz Rasp, Theodor Loos, Erwin Biswanger, Heinrich George, Brigitte Helm, Olaf Storm, Helene Weigel, Margarete Lanner, Hanns Leo Reich, Fritz Alberti, Heinrich Gotho, Grete Berger, Curt Siodmak, Rolf von Goth, Helen von Münchofen, Georg John, Arthur Reinhardt, Henrietta Siodmak

Release: 1927-01-10

Runtime: 153

Plot: In a futuristic city sharply divided between the working class and the city planners, the son of the city's mastermind falls in love with a working class prophet who predicts the coming of a savior to mediate their differences.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
YouTube channel UAP put out an interesting analysis of this movie.

I guess it is being suggested that the movie was made using the video footage created by the Civilization of the Builders, Society “X”, Tartary type culture...
Then, certain “proof” was created to make it look like it was actually filmed by us, the engineers of “the ugly architecture”.

The official Wiki-type narrative goes like this:
And of course, they started shooting it in 1925. What a “vision”.

What do you think? Any opinions?

Searching

Reactions
The movie definitely has an other-worldly feel to it. The people look.... not-quite-right. The ideas and technology look way before their time.

The Germans were leaps and bounds ahead in technology. They had video phones in the 30's, Skype, Nazi Style, but it wasn't until the 50's that Ma Bell taught Americans how to use a rotary phone.

Seems that the German people, their architecture, and their technology was stolen and destroyed.... the whole purpose of the world wars.

Veritas

Reactions
It is possible that this one is not about the revealing of past tech but more about the fear of revealing to much, to soon about a long term agenda. Metrópolis just another possibility to throw out there . so much deception out there I am open to all ideas at this point. perhaps our past lost civilization worked with nature and the people whom have gained controle favor artificial. .

Last edited:

Searching

Reactions
Is 150 years enough to erase the Germans' memory of their superior tech?

Two days prior to the enactment of the German constitution on 23 May 1949, a Secret Treaty (Geheimer Staatsvertrag) was signed, which gave complete Allied control over electronic and print media, film, culture and education until the year 2099.
As a result thereof, there are still 100,000 occupation troops in Germany; after 66 years there still has been no peace treaty concluded between Germany and the Victorious Allied Powers; and all of Germany’s gold reserves are held in the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank of New York, in which the Rothschilds have a 57% shareholding.

BStankman

Reactions
Not sure I agree with UAP.
There are production stills in existence.

Maybe the film was too occult honest.

Or too occult creepy for the general public. And had to be censored and put away.

metropolis 1927 | Tumblr

It does seem pretty clear there were plenty of things in Germany in 1927 that they failed to destroy the fist time.
Simply because the commoners refused to fight any longer in 1918.

Bear Claw

Reactions
The movie definitely has an other-worldly feel to it. The people look.... not-quite-right. The ideas and technology look way before their time.

The Germans were leaps and bounds ahead in technology. They had video phones in the 30's, Skype, Nazi Style, but it wasn't until the 50's that Ma Bell taught Americans how to use a rotary phone.

Seems that the German people, their architecture, and their technology was stolen and destroyed.... the whole purpose of the world wars.

Have you looked into Germania, Albert Speer, and Adolf Hitlers architectural plans for a New Berlin? Architecturally it seems amazing, although if you read about it, it is often described as ugly. It would have been concrete which I can accept is ugly, although I believe Rome was built with concrete also? Its an interesting watch into (at least the ideas) that the German nation had at the time. I also read somewhere - although of a dubious unsourced nature - that the third reich planned a giant solar park on the Sahara.

BStankman

Reactions

BrokenAgate

Reactions
Interesting that this future city is divided, not between rich and poor, or citizens and politicians, but between the working class and the city planners. Why city planners specifically, unless it's a subtle hint about the glorious cities of the past and their destruction to make way for new cities? That would tend to create tension between those survivors who longed for the old ways, and the planners of the new world order.

alyxy

Reactions
I watched the YouTube from UAP, and I felt convinced that something's really off about it. Is it found footage from an older world? Why did some scenes appear to be filmed by different actors? It freaked me out, to be honest. A great video.

I decided to watch the movie, since several versions are on YouTube for free. I was unable to make it very far. There's something about this movie that freaks me out. I don't know. It's been that way since I was a kid. My dad used to watch it whenever some new version would appear on TV, and he said it was a really important early work, but I could never sit there for more than like five minutes. Something about the whole atmosphere of the movie...it feels kind of evil and "off" to me. I don't know why that is, but I haven't found ignoring that feeling (and filling my mind with whatever-it-is) actually helps me, so I guess I'll have to let it stay in the "I don't know about this, but I'm not going to dive any deeper" area for me. 😬

asatiger1966

Reactions
I watched the YouTube from UAP, and I felt convinced that something's really off about it. Is it found footage from an older world? Why did some scenes appear to be filmed by different actors? It freaked me out, to be honest. A great video.

I decided to watch the movie, since several versions are on YouTube for free. I was unable to make it very far. There's something about this movie that freaks me out. I don't know. It's been that way since I was a kid. My dad used to watch it whenever some new version would appear on TV, and he said it was a really important early work, but I could never sit there for more than like five minutes. Something about the whole atmosphere of the movie...it feels kind of evil and "off" to me. I don't know why that is, but I haven't found ignoring that feeling (and filling my mind with whatever-it-is) actually helps me, so I guess I'll have to let it stay in the "I don't know about this, but I'm not going to dive any deeper" area for me. 😬
There are humans that can unknowingly tap into their subconscious , enabling them to sense dangerous frequencies outside of the human "normal". Learn awareness and you control it. live in the moment, stay in consciousness , block emotions, learn to listen, be aware of all people around you,

The women and men that we served with developed a habit of constantly watching themselves and other people, noticing everything that occurred round them, analyzing, reflecting, drawing conclusions, and keeping all this in memory.

Be aware of smells and sounds, birds, animals, cars braking, people coughing. This will take time

My guess is subliminal messages embedded in the movie. Trigger words already inserted into society as normal. Then matched to the subliminal picture flashes. The movie would feel strange, Could be almost hypnotically changing your beliefs.

This ability can be taught to most people, just takes discipline.

whitewave

Reactions
Filming took place over 17 months in 1925–26 at a cost of more than five million Reichsmarks.
I'm curious how Germany could afford such a frivolous endeavor so soon after the war in which they were required to pay reparations. Unless the Reichsmarks were still hyper-inflated/deflated and 5 million of 1925 reichsmarks only equaled about $50.00 (which still would have been a lot to throw away on frivolity in 1925).

milhaus

Reactions
No need to invalidate our own past to try and uncover someone else's.

I suppose most people are so disconnected from the old world before everything, even information, was easily accessible and disposable that they cannot even fathom a movie from nearly 100 years ago was hard to find at some point and is referencing and familiar with aspects of a culture we are unfamiliar with now without it turning into more sensationalist fanfic or anything else to make the truth less boring to our overstimulated minds.

There are obviously strange, hidden, and lost things in older media. Maybe Metropolis was made for purposes still unfolding now. The film is technically impressive, albeit boring and disjointed. The fact that Fritz Lang was unhappy with the finished film does not indicate to me that he did not make the movie as UAP suggests. That video is full of "logic" along those lines.
No doubt that a superior cut could exist and will probably be restored and sold to us during the 100th anniversary.

I think people would be better off checking out other early German films instead of just focusing on Metropolis if they want to try and get a better picture of the past.

Has anyone seen 'Gold' by Karl Hartl and also starring Brigitte Helm? It's said to be a pale imitation to Metropolis but I think this forum would be interested in this IMDB user's review:

This little known movie is one of the best sci-fi movies made in the 1930's. Hans Albers is well cast as the lead. The female lead also is well chosen. Brigitte Helm (METROPOLIS), here in one of her last screen-roles, plays the femme fatale. The film tells the story of two scientist, who have discovered a way to make gold from lead. It"s achieved by using radioactivity. The experiment gets sabotaged by an unscrupulous tycoon, who likes to cash in on this discovery. One of the scientists (Friedrich Kayssler) dies when the lab explodes, the other one (Hans Albers), after recovering from his injuries, tries to find the saboteur. He very soon gets hired by the very person, and he pretends to play along with the tycoon's (Michael Bohnen) plans. The tycoon's daughter (Brigitte Helm) helps the hero, and of course, there will be a happy ending. The sets are breathtaking (for its time) and look very real- so real in fact, that during WWII the Americans confiscated a copy of this movie to find out how advanced the Germans use of radioactivity really was. For fans of this genre, this is a must.

Gold (1934) - IMDb

Also, Queen of Atlantis also starring Brigitte Helm. Looks like there is a sequel as well:

Queen of Atlantis (1932) - IMDb

Two French Foreign Legionnaires are lost amid the shifting sands of the Sahara Desert when they stumble across the entrance to an underground world. Searching this new found subterranean passage, our heroes are surprised to find the lost city of Atlantis. Ruling over this fantastic underworld realm, an evil queen sets her sights upon these strangers to her kingdom.

Just wait till you see what the Queen of Atlantis did with her lovers!
Spoiler alert:
Antinea has a habit of taking men as lovers, then when she's done with them, she kills them and keeps them mummified.

codis

Reactions
Two days prior to the enactment of the German constitution on 23 May 1949, a Secret Treaty (Geheimer Staatsvertrag) was signed, which gave complete Allied control over electronic and print media, film, culture and education until the year 2099.
As a result thereof, there are still 100,000 occupation troops in Germany; after 66 years there still has been no peace treaty concluded between Germany and the Victorious Allied Powers; and all of Germany’s gold reserves are held in the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank of New York, in which the Rothschilds have a 57% shareholding.
I would avoid the term "constitution", because it is none. A constitution implies a certain status in international law, which the German "Grundgesetz" (basic law) has not. A constition cannot legally be overriden by international law. And that's why the Germans were not asked to introduce the €, or join the EU. They are de facto an American/British vasall state. Chancellors are selected and approved by the US (trough the Atlantic Bridge organiszation).
And just to mention it, the UN Charta Enemy Clause is still legal and active.

And not to be too conspiratoral, but Fritz Lang was not really German. Jews consider someone born of a jewish mother as Jew.
His mother supposedly converted to Catholicism - incidentally the same what the father of Hershel Mordechai (a.k.a. Karl Marx) did.
Not that it nencessarily means anthing.

Last edited:

Timeshifter

Reactions
I am watching this film just now, 15 mins in and already discovered Moloch, and the tower of babel, prostitution and all manor of things. Will report back later.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
See if you can spot any splicing of the possible former footage with the later 20th century additions.

Red Bird

Reactions
There are humans that can unknowingly tap into their subconscious , enabling them to sense dangerous frequencies outside of the human "normal". Learn awareness and you control it. live in the moment, stay in consciousness , block emotions, learn to listen, be aware of all people around you,

The women and men that we served with developed a habit of constantly watching themselves and other people, noticing everything that occurred round them, analyzing, reflecting, drawing conclusions, and keeping all this in memory.

Be aware of smells and sounds, birds, animals, cars braking, people coughing. This will take time

My guess is subliminal messages embedded in the movie. Trigger words already inserted into society as normal. Then matched to the subliminal picture flashes. The movie would feel strange, Could be almost hypnotically changing your beliefs.

This ability can be taught to most people, just takes discipline.
This. We’re all programmed to some extent and I think the younger you are the more likely you are, although it began a long time ago. However I would say control your emotions. The psychopaths don’t have emotions.
Have you read fritz springmeier’s analysis on Disney?
I told my grandkids (and their parents) that so many of these kids movies are mostly spent watching people be cruel to animals (the whale, etc), which is sick. They end happily usually and people think it’s teaching kids not to be cruel to animals but it’s actually desensitizing ( I always think, why am I watching this sad stuff in a cartoon no less) them plus usually showing humans as the enemy, and animals as good humans (they talk), and so on. They looked at me funny, but it seemed they might view things a bit more analytically now.
DEEPER INSIGHTS INTO THE ILLUMINATI FORMULA by Fritz Springmeier & Cisco Wheeler

In Jan., 1987, Richard Kluft submitted an article to the American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis about 8 MPD patients who were between 60 and 72 years of age. Traugott Konstantin Oesterreich (1880-1949), who was professor of philosophy at Tubingen University, Germany studied MPD and demonic possession and wrote a classic study of it in 1921 entitled Possession Demonical & Other, which was translated into english in 1930. His classic work on this subject provides documented cases which reveal that the basic trauma-based mind-control was going on in Germany, France & Belgium long before the 20th century. Although he is unable to put together all the pieces and the clues for what they are, the reader of this book might enjoy reading the 1930 English translation of his classic work after they finish this book. Oesterreich’s research in early 1900s was the type of research that the Nazi mind-control programmers were very aware of. In 1921, the Germans such as Oesterreich would describe personality switches, by the term "somnambuliform [hypnotic states] possession" or "demonical somnambulism" or what might be called "Besessenheit von Hypnotismus und bösen Geistern...http://www.whale.to/b/sp/springmeier.html#Important Explanation of Contents

Last edited:

Timeshifter

Reactions
Well that was an experience. The film is resplendent with modern themes, tech, some obvious (to me anyway) modern post production techniques.

Outside of the narrative, of which you would really need to see the film yourself to form your own opinions, there are lots of topics we discuss here.

Who knows what the true history of this film is. It is patiently obvious that this film is spliced together from many different sources, but it would probably be almost impossible to determine which the original is and which is later. In the version I have, the film begins with disclaimers which would stop you from thinking that much of the film is faked, see below. But to me in doing this, it only draws attention to the obvious fakery of much of it. The ‘found’ 16mm film (Buenos Aries, Argentina, Nazis?) is quite obviously filtered with a modern ‘retro’ filter, as the effect is exactly the same on each clip, which it would not be if the film was original, damaged etc.

met.00_07_58_15.Still018.jpg

Obviously added effects to make this look like ruined 16mm film.​

Here’s some things in noticed, which have most probably been discussed before, here and on YouTube.

My own disclaimer: I am a photographer/ film maker and lecturer over 20 years’ experience. And whilst I do not claim to have all the answers, I do have some idea as to what I am looking at J

I have taken these clips directly from a 720p copy of the film in Adobe premiere.

The first few are intro slides setting up the ‘version’ of the film.

met.00_00_47_13.Still001.jpg

met.00_01_02_03.Still002.jpg

met.00_01_24_08.Still003.jpg

Interesting start:

met.00_05_34_19.Still006.jpg

met.00_03_49_00.Still003.jpg

"clocks, not sure of the significance?​

Ah, where have we seen these Victorian style tunnels before? The Williamson Tunnels, Liverpool, UK. and others

met.00_04_45_03.Still004.jpg

Any significance as to the size of the workers feet below, that’s what stood out to me here.

met.00_06_21_01.Still008.jpg

What is this below? Ok, as the film progresses it is used as a gong, however a satellite dish in 1917?

met.00_06_42_00.Still013.jpg

More titles;

met.00_06_54_21.Still009.jpg

met.00_07_01_19.Still010.jpg

Early special effects, using mirrors, how

met.00_07_08_20.Still011.jpg

But were these really models/ miniatures?

I wonder where the inspiration for the look of ‘The joker’ came from. Are these 2 different actors?

met.00_07_13_19.Still012a.jpg

Here is the 1st ‘found’ piece of missing footage on the right,

met.00_07_58_14.Still017a.jpg

You can clearly see the difference between the takes, from frames which follow each other. I would argue that the 2 ladies in the second clip, do not exist in the first… Either a different take, or a different time? Again, this is clearly an effect added in post. Watch how it is the same for each of these found clips.

met.00_10_26_14.Still021a.jpg

Again above, following frames, the difference between the two clips, different children? Different take? Certainly a addition of contrast in the 2nd frame.

met.00_10_47_21.Still025a.jpg

These 2 clips above, again following frames, different actors? Different take? The lighting is certainly different/ Look at the fountain, whatever it is in there, is clearly a different shape.

met.00_14_30_13.Still030a.jpg

This wide shot above of the machine, whilst watching appears to be the same wide shot in normal time, but when studied frame b frame, it is clearly shot on different days, at slightly different angles, with entirely different lighting. These 2 clips 30 seconds apart. Could just be poor continuity.

met.00_15_49_00.Still033a.jpg

Moloch, 2 frames apart. This is classic 2 shots in one, not bad for 1927 though.

met.00_17_02_20.Still038a.jpg

There is around 5 seconds between these 2 shots above, which has the factory returning to the later style lighting and camera position.

met.00_26_24_12.Stilla048.jpg

In these 2 clips above, about 3 seconds apart, notice a few things moving around between them. I have highlighted them. Continuity or re shoot?

met.00_34_53_22.Still052.jpg

Metropolis courier? Mmmm, shouldn't that be 'Kurier' if we are in Germany? Again, found footage.

met.00_50_33_08.Still064a.jpg

Where have we seen these tunnels before?.. Sets ? or real places?

met.00_24_28_12.Still001.jpg

Star fort/ tower?

met.00_53_21_17.Still072.jpg

Tower of Babel....

I could go on all day, every few seconds you could stop an analyse for continuity and all manner of things. You really need to view for yourselves.

In summary.

A complex movie, with complex themes and quite poor (even by 1927 standards) of continuity. It is quite obviously edited using multiple takes.

I do think in the video by UAP that changes can be explained to retakes slight camera movement and changing of props etc.

But, the quality and style of the cinematography and lighting varies greatly throughout, almost as is much of it was re shot at vastly different times, which is possible as it still happens now with films. This however, in my opinion is the greatest indicator that much of this was made at different times (Years between), using different technology, film stock, actors, choreographers and editors. The effect is far to repetitive and uniform on the 'found' clips to be anything other than added later.

Massive lighting changes between clips, of the same scene, a clear indicated of being shot at different times, however no DP in their right mind would allow for such drastic lighting changes between takes. Also set changes and use of multiple actors in my opinion, and the found scenes have certainly had effects applied to make them appear ‘old’. Does this mean this later editing has replaced/ taken out some aspects which were in the original? It is highly possible, however much of what I have evidence here could be explained away by poor film making of the time.

However, in my opinion, given that an overriding theme of this movie is deceit, perhaps like many of the topics discussed here, the truth is staring us in the face.

Last edited:

trismegistus

Reactions
Well that was an experience. The film is resplendent with modern themes, tech, some obvious (to me anyway) modern post production techniques.

Outside of the narrative, of which you would really need to see the film yourself to form your own opinions, there are lots of topics we discuss here.

Who knows what the true history of this film is. It is patiently obvious that this film is spliced together from many different sources, but it would probably be almost impossible to determine which the original is and which is later. In the version I have, the film begins with disclaimers which would stop you from thinking that much of the film is faked, see below. But to me in doing this, it only draws attention to the obvious fakery of much of it. The ‘found’ 16mm film (Buenos Aries, Argentina, Nazis?) is quite obviously filtered with a modern ‘retro’ filter, as the effect is exactly the same on each clip, which it would not be if the film was original, damaged etc.

View attachment 24537
Obviously added effects to make this look like ruined 16mm film.​

Here’s some things in noticed, which have most probably been discussed before, here and on YouTube.

My own disclaimer: I am a photographer/ film maker and lecturer over 20 years’ experience. And whilst I do not claim to have all the answers, I do have some idea as to what I am looking at J

I have taken these clips directly from a 720p copy of the film in Adobe premiere.

The first few are intro slides setting up the ‘version’ of the film.

Ah, where have we seen these Victorian style tunnels before? The Williamson Tunnels, Liverpool, UK. and others

Any significance as to the size of the workers feet below, that’s what stood out to me here.

What is this below? Ok, as the film progresses it is used as a gong, however a satellite dish in 1917?

More titles;

Early special effects, using mirrors, how

But were these really models/ miniatures?

I wonder where the inspiration for the look of ‘The joker’ came from. Are these 2 different actors?

Here is the 1st ‘found’ piece of missing footage on the right,

You can clearly see the difference between the takes, from frames which follow each other. I would argue that the 2 ladies in the second clip, do not exist in the first… Either a different take, or a different time? Again, this is clearly an effect added in post. Watch how it is the same for each of these found clips.

Again above, following frames, the difference between the two clips, different children? Different take? Certainly a addition of contrast in the 2nd frame.

These 2 clips above, again following frames, different actors? Different take? The lighting is certainly different/ Look at the fountain, whatever it is in there, is clearly a different shape.

This wide shot above of the machine, whilst watching appears to be the same wide shot in normal time, but when studied frame b frame, it is clearly shot on different days, at slightly different angles, with entirely different lighting. These 2 clips 30 seconds apart. Could just be poor continuity.

Moloch, 2 frames apart. This is classic 2 shots in one, not bad for 1927 though.

There is around 5 seconds between these 2 shots above, which has the factory returning to the later style lighting and camera position.

In these 2 clips above, about 3 seconds apart, notice a few things moving around between them. I have highlighted them. Continuity or re shoot?

Metropolis courier? Mmmm, shouldn't that be 'Kurier' if we are in Germany? Again, found footage.

Where have we seen these tunnels before?.. Sets ? or real places?

Star fort/ tower?

Tower of Babel....

I could go on all day, every few seconds you could stop an analyse for continuity and all manner of things. You really need to view for yourselves.

In summary.

A complex movie, with complex themes and quite poor (even by 1927 standards) of continuity. It is quite obviously edited using multiple takes.

I do think in the video by UAP that changes can be explained to retakes slight camera movement and changing of props etc.

But, the quality and style of the cinematography and lighting varies greatly throughout, almost as is much of it was re shot at vastly different times, which is possible as it still happens now with films. This however, in my opinion is the greatest indicator that much of this was made at different times (Years between), using different technology, film stock, actors, choreographers and editors. The effect is far to repetitive and uniform on the 'found' clips to be anything other than added later.

Massive lighting changes between clips, of the same scene, a clear indicated of being shot at different times, however no DP in their right mind would allow for such drastic lighting changes between takes. Also set changes and use of multiple actors in my opinion, and the found scenes have certainly had effects applied to make them appear ‘old’. Does this mean this later editing has replaced/ taken out some aspects which were in the original? It is highly possible, however much of what I have evidence here could be explained away by poor film making of the time.

However, in my opinion, given that an overriding theme of this movie is deceit, perhaps like many of the topics discussed here, the truth is staring us in the face.
Great post, very thorough work here. I did some more digging to see if there was any precedent for these "reshoots" taking place. A few things that stood out to me:

-Fritz Lang was apparently notorious for retakes of scenes to the point of exhausting the actors. If true then he clearly shot plenty of film on the day, what would be the reasons for needing to go back at a later time?

-He was basically torturing the actors and extras, here is a quote from one of the actresses.

"the night shots lasted three weeks, and even if they did lead to the greatest dramatic moments—even if we did follow Fritz Lang's directions as though in a trance, enthusiastic and enraptured at the same time—I can't forget the incredible strain that they put us under. The work wasn't easy, and the authenticity in the portrayal ended up testing our nerves now and then. For instance, it wasn't fun at all when Grot drags me by the hair, to have me burned at the stake. Once I even fainted: during the transformation scene, Maria, as the android, is clamped in a kind of wooden armament, and because the shot took so long, I didn't get enough air."
None of the research I've done seems to imply that there were extensive reshoots done, and I can't imagine they would reshoot scenes with that little attention paid to lighting and props. Even back then I am sure they had someone in charge of continuity - - in this day and age it is usually the script supervisor or possibly an AD. The only thing I found was that they would shoot different exposures on the same section of film, sometimes up to 30 different shots in order to achieve their intended effect. I suppose it is possible that they may have included some poor shots that weren't as exposed as some of the others, though it seems closer to what you have observed which is completely different lighting.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database