Movie: Inception (2010)

Searching

Reactions
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Inception (2010)

Tagline: Your mind is the scene of the crime.

Genre: Action, Thriller, Science Fiction, Mystery, Adventure

Director: Christopher Nolan

Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, Cillian Murphy, Marion Cotillard, Michael Caine, Dileep Rao, Tom Berenger, Pete Postlethwaite, Lukas Haas, Talulah Riley, Tohoru Masamune, Taylor Geare, Claire Geare, Johnathan Geare, Yuji Okumoto, Earl Cameron, Ryan Hayward, Miranda Nolan, Russ Fega, Tim Kelleher, Coralie Dedykere, Silvie Laguna, Virgile Bramly, Nicolas Clerc, Jean-Michel Dagory, Marc Raducci, Tai-Li Lee, Magnus Nolan, Helena Cullinan, Mark Fleischmann, Shelley Lang, Adam Cole, Jack Murray, Kraig Thornber, Angela Nathenson, Natasha Beaumont, Carl Gilliard, Jill Maddrell, Alex Lombard, Nicole Pulliam, Peter Basham, Michael Gaston, Felix Scott, Andrew Pleavin, Lisa Reynolds, Jason Tendell, Jack Gilroy, Shannon Welles

Release: 2010-07-15

Runtime: 148

Plot: Cobb, a skilled thief who commits corporate espionage by infiltrating the subconscious of his targets is offered a chance to regain his old life as payment for a task considered to be impossible: "inception", the implantation of another person's idea into a target's subconscious.

OP
Searching

Searching

Reactions
“COBB: Our dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake we realize things were strange.

Ariadne gestures around them-

ARIADNE: But all the textures of real life-the stone, the fabric... cars... people... your mind can't create all this.

COBB: It does. Every time you dream. Let me ask you a question: You never remember the beginning of your dreams, do you? You just turn up in the middle of what's going on.

ARIADNE: I guess.

COBB: So... how did we end up at this restaurant?”

How did we end up here, in this realm? We cannot remember our first 5 or 6 years of life. Even then, how can we be sure they are memories? Is it possible they are only stories implanted into us?

I was surprised there was no thread to this movie. We look into orphan trains, mud floods, out-of-place architecture, etc., looking for clues to our past, but as I have stated in another thread, we are dissecting a brain in search of consciousness, dismantling a stereo looking for the DJ. These attempts have proved fruitless. I do not think the architect of this "reality" resides here any more than an avatar's consciousness resides in him.

We are told as children through song, "...life is but a dream."

sonoman

Reactions
not a movie type but Ive seen some clips of this one and can tell its probably not so bad. does it explain how to operate the equipment or just show it off?

;-)

OP
Searching

Searching

Reactions
@Paracelsus

Ideas are a prison of our own making, implanted, of course, by environmental programming. I like The Eagles take on it:
So many times it happens
That we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Lately I have been waking up in my dreams. Not lucid dreaming, but a dream-within-a-dream type scenario.
An old recurring dream has come back. In it, I wander through a house, unable to turn on any lights. Last night, the electricity seemed to be coming from me, but I could not seem to connect the power source within me to the light switch.

I have had a couple of lucid dreams, but only a realization I was in a dream, with very little control over my decision-making capabilities. As of late, I am plagued with the idea that in order to exit this realm, we must become expert lucid dreamers. I am convinced that the death of these avatars are not enough to exit this realm. Without true conscious control in our "dream state", we keep being recycled, reincarnated into new flesh prisons.

Paracelsus

Reactions
@Paracelsus

Ideas are a prison of our own making, implanted, of course, by environmental programming. I like The Eagles take on it:
So many times it happens
That we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Lately I have been waking up in my dreams. Not lucid dreaming, but a dream-within-a-dream type scenario.
An old recurring dream has come back. In it, I wander through a house, unable to turn on any lights. Last night, the electricity seemed to be coming from me, but I could not seem to connect the power source within me to the light switch.

I have had a couple of lucid dreams, but only a realization I was in a dream, with very little control over my decision-making capabilities. As of late, I am plagued with the idea that in order to exit this realm, we must become expert lucid dreamers. I am convinced that the death of these avatars are not enough to exit this realm. Without true conscious control in our "dream state", we keep being recycled, reincarnated into new flesh prisons.
Rick and Morty totally aped this from Inception.

We all might be playing Roy without even realizing it, might also require being a psychopathic genius reprobate to have some fun with it.

AgentOrange5

Reactions
Great movie. I really like your point about "life is but a dream" in the children's rhyme....why is that there? I remember one disturbing dream, I had just witnessed something horrible, in my dream I was remember bad dreams I'd had in the past and how I would wake up from them, and everything would be back to normal, but that this was real life and I wouldn't be waking up from a bad dream to fix things. Except it was a dream and I did wake up.
I don't know if all of this is just a quirk of the human brain, or perhaps there really are some answers down this rabbit hole. I'm going to dwell on this a bit.

OP
Searching

Searching

Reactions
Perhaps this movie can give us a clue to when this realm began its inception.

Use over time for: totem
1548310567563.png

The time frame for totem does seem to coincide with the reset of our civilization.

Spinning tops originated independently in cultures all over the world. They are among the oldest toys ever discovered by archaeologists. (So we are told)

The end scene leaves us wondering if Dicaprio's character, Dom Cob, is in base reality.
This is also a question few ask concerning Neo in The Matrix.
I could argue neither ever make it to base reality.

In the third installment of The Matrix franchise, Neo is supposedly free of the matrix, but a closer examination of his conversation with the architect as well as his ability to retain his superhuman ability outside said matrix suggests he is not.

Then, there are the characters' names. Of course, an anagram for Neo is The One, the saviour and all the trinity dogma that implies. Anderson also has symbolic religious subtext, meaning "son of man".

The less obvious character in the name game, however, is Dominick Cobb from Inception. Dominic, Latin for "Our Lord". The prologue to Inception was The Cobol Job.
COBOL (Common Business-Oriented Language) is a high-level programming language for business applications. It was the first popular languaged designed to be operating system agnostic and is still in use in many financial and business applications today.

So, both movies deal the question of base reality. What is it, and how do we get there?

Paracelsus

Reactions
Perhaps this movie can give us a clue to when this realm began its inception.

Use over time for: totem
View attachment 15826

The time frame for totem does seem to coincide with the reset of our civilization.

Spinning tops originated independently in cultures all over the world. They are among the oldest toys ever discovered by archaeologists. (So we are told)

The end scene leaves us wondering if Dicaprio's character, Dom Cob, is in base reality.
This is also a question few ask concerning Neo in The Matrix.
I could argue neither ever make it to base reality.

In the third installment of The Matrix franchise, Neo is supposedly free of the matrix, but a closer examination of his conversation with the architect as well as his ability to retain his superhuman ability outside said matrix suggests he is not.

Then, there are the characters' names. Of course, an anagram for Neo is The One, the saviour and all the trinity dogma that implies. Anderson also has symbolic religious subtext, meaning "son of man".

The less obvious character in the name game, however, is Dominick Cobb from Inception. Dominic, Latin for "Our Lord". The prologue to Inception was The Cobol Job.
COBOL (Common Business-Oriented Language) is a high-level programming language for business applications. It was the first popular languaged designed to be operating system agnostic and is still in use in many financial and business applications today.

So, both movies deal the question of base reality. What is it, and how do we get there?
I doubt it is any coincidence that Dicaprio is in another classic movie in the same exact vein of reality questioning - Shutter Island. At the end the same exact ambiguous question posed in Inception is left to the viewer to decide for themself. Was he always a patient, or is he the victim of an intricately orchestrated experiment to alter his fundamental perception of reality?

Both of these movies are like a Rorschach of your own psychological schemas, and truly the best material to come out of Hollywood.

It also makes me think about Castaneda and the nature of "The Eagle/The Great Devourer." Those without the sobriety and power of a warrior are destined to become food for a higher consciousness. They spent their entire existence on trifling concerns instead of preparing for the battle for their own freedom. Consequently, they are snapped up by an incomprehensible force.

This is the nature of reality that I subscribe to, one that has an unrelenting and immovable desire to extinguish my consciousness. A universe that challenges me to become self-aware in the same way that God is aware.

A warrior dictates what reality is, not the other way around.

OP
Searching

Searching

Reactions
I doubt it is any coincidence that Dicaprio is in another classic movie in the same exact vein of reality questioning - Shutter Island. At the end the same exact ambiguous question posed in Inception is left to the viewer to decide for themself. Was he always a patient, or is he the victim of an intricately orchestrated experiment to alter his fundamental perception of reality?

Both of these movies are like a Rorschach of your own psychological schemas, and truly the best material to come out of Hollywood.

It also makes me think about Castaneda and the nature of "The Eagle/The Great Devourer." Those without the sobriety and power of a warrior are destined to become food for a higher consciousness. They spent their entire existence on trifling concerns instead of preparing for the battle for their own freedom. Consequently, they are snapped up by an incomprehensible force.

This is the nature of reality that I subscribe to, one that has an unrelenting and immovable desire to extinguish my consciousness. A universe that challenges me to become self-aware in the same way that God is aware.

A warrior dictates what reality is, not the other way around.

Maybe you can help me with this. If you can, man, synchrocities are runnin' amok today.

Earlier, I could not think of the name of a Latino psychoanalyst (I believe), but I do remember quite well his recollection of a lucid dream he had:

The psychoanalyst was speaking to a woman behind a desk. He noticed a butterfly (I think) paperweight on her desk thats wings were fluttering. Finding that odd, he realized he was in a dream, and told the woman, "Ma'am, I do not mean to alarm you, but I think we are in a dream right now." The woman stared at him blankly, so once again, he tried to alert her they were in a dream. Once again, the blank stare.
Many years later, a lawyer asked the psychoanalyst to make a house call. The lawyer's office was adjacent to the home. He told the lawyer he had been there many years before in a dream. The lawyer was skeptical, but the psychoanalyst stated, "You had a butterfly paperweight on your desk." Astonished, the lawyer picked a newspaper up off his desk revealing the butterfly paperweight.
The lawyer was shaken, but still in disbelief. He took the psychoanalyst to the house portion of his property, as his wife had prepared a meal for them. Upon greeting the psychoanalyst at the door, the wife stated, "You look familliar to me. Do we know each other?" Throughout the meal, the woman kept asking, "Are you sure we haven't met? I know you from somewhere." Finally she remembered it was from the dream they had shared all those years ago. The lawyer husband was atonished.

I believe the psychoanylist was Castaneda. His name has eluded me all morning.
Can you confirm?

Paracelsus

Reactions
Maybe you can help me with this. If you can, man, synchrocities are runnin' amok today.

Earlier, I could not think of the name of a Latino psychoanalyst (I believe), but I do remember quite well his recollection of a lucid dream he had:

The psychoanalyst was speaking to a woman behind a desk. He noticed a butterfly (I think) paperweight on her desk thats wings were fluttering. Finding that odd, he realized he was in a dream, and told the woman, "Ma'am, I do not mean to alarm you, but I think we are in a dream right now." The woman stared at him blankly, so once again, he tried to alert her they were in a dream. Once again, the blank stare.
Many years later, a lawyer asked the psychoanalyst to make a house call. The lawyer's office was adjacent to the home. He told the lawyer he had been there many years before in a dream. The lawyer was skeptical, but the psychoanalyst stated, "You had a butterfly paperweight on your desk." Astonished, the lawyer picked a newspaper up off his desk revealing the butterfly paperweight.
The lawyer was shaken, but still in disbelief. He took the psychoanalyst to the house portion of his property, as his wife had prepared a meal for them. Upon greeting the psychoanalyst at the door, the wife stated, "You look familliar to me. Do we know each other?" Throughout the meal, the woman kept asking, "Are you sure we haven't met? I know you from somewhere." Finally she remembered it was from the dream they had shared all those years ago. The lawyer husband was atonished.

I believe the psychoanylist was Castaneda. His name has eluded me all morning.
Can you confirm?
It's a good vignette, and even stylistically similar to Carlos Castaneda's pseudo-fiction, but, not the same dude.

Christopher Nolan really nailed the paradox of the fugue state in Inception. Reality and "The Dream" aren't inherently different, they both feel equally real when you're experiencing them. And they both bleed into eachother, just like the psycho-analyst and the lawyer. Fiction does a much better job of addressing the nature of consciousness than science. Dreams are too weird to explain without metaphors and analogies.

GroundhogLfe

Reactions
I liked the movie and I have had to watch it at least 3-4 times by now to see if I missed anything. Highly recommended, but it is not exceptional merely above average as a movie. I liked it more for the content and substance it provided. I also like the soundtrack Hans Zimmer has put together for this.

Related to the topic of the movie revealing some personal experiences yet again:

I am fairly sure dream visitations are possible and that they do not require any sort of machinery. I personally believe I've been a victim of something of a sort as well. I remember something from my childhood that I am not able to tell was it a dream or that actually happened in my current state of wakefulness. We were in a kindergarten and went to a specific older building that I still remember where it actually was. Inside there was a group of us that were waiting each our turns to go in to a room that was filled with other children sitting on chairs that were put around the room, like in a circular motion, but I am not exactly sure was the room of circular shape. When I went in an took a seat in my place I had a task to figure out like a puzzle. The boy in front of me that I'm not sure now did I recognize him was doing all sort of gestures of hand signs even up to his face that I had to response correctly, but as much as I tried I could not and was only guessing and I think I failed it. This is something that was never taught to me in any way I remember.

Now this all ties in to another situation from that specific kindergartenl but from another occasion. One mate of mine was invited to a room "to look in to the future" and I was being a bitchy one that why not me. He came back from there that lasted for like 30 seconds and he was excited and enthusiastic what he had seen, like living and experiencing a life full in that time, I couldn't believe it. To me he was saying that "you are the clock man" and he went on in to even more specifics about it. Now I will leave out some specifics out of this, but I remember a lot from those two conversations especially after we were walking in the street after the day. And like I've stated in some other occasions of my weird experiences he too stated "but you will not remember a thing, your memory will be wiped out", but instead now I do remember as my memory of my past experiences have started to flow back to me after that summer 2016 when I pretty much quit getting intoxicated in any way, the kickoff for some these flashbacks had happened earlier though..

Where I'm going with this is that some of the things he had said then actually came out to happen in the spring & summer of 2016 and what happened was deeply tied in to what I explained above from the room with all the gestures and sort. Because I was doing that stuff to some specific unknown people I thought that were doing it to me AND I thought it was the right thing to do to get in to a specific circle as I had been having a couple of weird confrontations with some people in the past ½ years that accumulated to that and why I was thinking that way. Now I understand I was just getting played at. To others and those not aware of the full picture I must have seemed to be acting like a person in psychosis, but that behavior was deeply planted in to me farther back. I have worked out some causality to provide where the root for all this behavior has come from and what has accumulated to what. Some of the things this friend of mine from the kindergarten said have not happened, at least not yet. I was insisting on that would never come to happen and he was insisting that oh yes it will. Now that I remember I'm just "working" on those things for never to come happen, not by fighting and feeding more energy to those ideas, but rather by ridiculing it and him and turning my back to these things and showing it in my mind that you can alter what has been planned. I actually think I already changed / avoided that resolution he told me about already by becoming conscious of what was actually happening.

It's my story of inception, whether or not it was from a dream or actually something happening in my childhood. Something that was planted to my mind as a child and then forgetting all about it, but it becoming a governing factor of my actions in one part of my life. If it was something real I'm not going after a witch hunt but I've been tempted to confront the guy from my kindergarten experience telling me what he had experienced what was to become. Instead I have decided that if it was real I'm just leaving those sad people be and fall to their misery if this is how they toy with some people. I understand that if my memories of the kindergarten are actually real this "inception" also could've been a safety measure of some sort to drive or make one seem crazy to destroy the character for any credibility in case he / she would start to remember things. I have other events as well that seem to have played towards all of this even from people closer to me to put me on this path. I just know that if those past experiences were from a dream or a sequence of multiple dreams then I am fairly sure that it was not manifested solely from the mind of the ego or the body I currently reside in, but it was manifested and manipulated by other forces - or else I would've been predicting and programming myself for a certain destructive behavior already as a child for something yet to happen over 30 years later and that I refuse to believe. This is not something I invented just to write it down here as a story. These are memories written truthfully from what I perceive to be truthful experiences be it from reality or dreams that have affected my latter day actions.

ps. As a kid I was good at lucid dreaming on a low level without knowing it was lucid dreaming, I thought it was normal. Nowadays I can't seem to do it but I have not put much effort in to that either, just some surface level practise. I am asking can you do lucid dream in a dream within a dream?

Last edited:

sonoman

Reactions
cool story bruh.. no, really that was cool. Ive known all along something is going on with 'time'.

as a child upto around age 23 I had very short reoccurring dream about twice a year, nothing too far out just kept having it and each time I had it I just thought it odd I would have it again because it seemed so insignificant.

then oneday I didnt dream it but it happened in waking life as dejavu. this wasnt a life changing experience or anything, it probably should have been but after that it never reoccurred again. it was my most 'solid' confirmation that time is not what it seems.

Ive had others hints before and after but not anything like that dream/dejavu. I have not seen this movie but I have experienced the law of attraction and from the clips Ive seen of the movie, I thought thats what it was about.

I am asking can you do lucid dream in a dream within a dream?
I am asking how to become lucid in the 'waking' now. well, significantly lucid because I know on some level that this is whats going on. learned this the hard way and previously wrote about this on here too.

this is why I dont 'watch' TV and movies or even listen to much music at all, not because I think its evil (that too), but to keep my own pond as smooth as possible and I know how powerful mental images and suggestions really are. (law of attraction can be just as bad as it can be good)

but I can also say that when you have next to nothing in the way of memories of movies, TV, music, etc in your attic, you can really see how it is so pervasive in society because almost every casual conversation is based in them and how many people look at you as if you are dumb in this way (which I am).

I also see how some people gain certain insights from the programming, very good insights that I would not be able to have on some stuff but I think thats limited to only a small percentage of folks.

you mentioned 'dream visitations', so now I take it that thats what this movie is about? this is somewhat rare for me but I do dream of other people in the 'scene' often but the one where there is a more than average presence, I believe these people are actually daemons/angels from a higher level.

anyway, Im still looking for the service manual to this vehicle so I can save the planet. LOL!

Paracelsus

Reactions
@sonoman,

I get the harrumph about pop culture, as a general rule it is unmitigated offal. But, you haven't even seen a few minutes of Inception?

It's almost as good as Caddyshack, almost.

sonoman

Reactions
pop culture is not why I dont watch TV/movies or listen to much music Paracelsus.

its more something like so I dont have to continually weed my garden of imagination. Im extremely territorial & somewhat fined tuned and that higher ground is plenty fertile as it is.

I dont think many realize that half the battle of any competition is won with mind games AKA 'getting in their head'.

some are even won or lost from inception

inception | Origin and meaning of inception by Online Etymology Dictionary

... inceptio)... an undertaking,"...combining form of capere "take, seize"...

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database