Movie: Cabiria (1914)

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Cabiria (1914)

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Giovanni Pastrone

Cast: Carolina Catena, Lidia Quaranta, Gina Marangoni, Dante Testa, Umberto Mozzato, Bartolomeo Pagano, Raffaele di Napoli, Emilio Vardannes, Edoardo Davesnes, Italia Almirante-Manzini, Alex Bernard, Luigi Chellini, Vitale Di Stefano, Enrico Gemelli, Ignazio Lupi

Release: 1914-06-01

Runtime: 148

Plot: Three centuries before Christus. Young Cabiria is kidnapped by some pirates during one eruption of the Etna. She is sold as a slave in Carthage, and as she is just going to be sacrificed to god Moloch, Cabiria is rescued by both Fulvio Axilla, a Roman noble, and his giant slave Maciste. Maciste is captured just after having confided Cabiria to Sophinisbe's safe keeping, while Fulvio Axilla manages to escape from Carthage. Ten years went away with Punic wars before he is able to come back to Carthage...

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
To be honest, I have not watched it yet. Here is its Wiki page. The only reason it attracted my attention was this line, "participating over 100.000 people." For me these numbers suggest that there is something out there we do not know. What other movie project has ever had that many participants? How many people lived on Earth back then?

Ran into this webpage which provides the translation for the below 1914 ad. Appears to be Russian, but I am not sure, and can not vouch for the accuracy of the translation.
Cabiria: a world picture that surpasses the grandeur of everything seen, for the first time in Russia completely, without censorship cuttings: a grandiose heroic movie poem from the times of the struggle of Rome with Carthage under the script of the famous writer Gabriel d'Annunzio: in 13 (thirteen) parts: Etna, the burning of the Roman fleet near Syracuse, the crossing of Hannibal with hordes through the Alps, the pagan cult of the idol of Moloch, human sacrifices, the exploits of the giant Matsista, etc., etc.: the production of the painting continuously lasted more than 2 years: installation of the factory "Itala-film" spent more than 3.000.000 lira: participating over 100.000 people
russian_ad.jpg

Some Movie Images
cabiria_1.jpg

Wonder who used that gigantic musical instrument on the right.

cabiria_2.jpg

cabiria_3.jpg

Is this a small cat, or a large lady?

For those who know about this movie, or had a chance to watch it. Any opinions?
kd_separator.jpg

whitewave

Reactions
I was going to watch it but it's a 2 hour silent film. My attention span isn't that good. :)

Timeshifter

Reactions
To be honest, I have not watched it yet. Here is its Wiki page. The only reason it attracted my attention was this line, "participating over 100.000 people." For me these numbers suggest that there is something out there we do not know. What other movie project has ever had that many participants? How many people lived on Earth back then?

Ran into this webpage which provides the translation for the below 1914 ad. Appears to be Russian, but I am not sure, and can not vouch for the accuracy of the translation.

Wonder who used that gigantic musical instrument on the right.

Is this a small cat, or a large lady?

For those who know about this movie, or had a chance to watch it. Any opinions?

Will watch it just to investigate the 'sets'

Elancan

Reactions
That giant musical instrument is not much bigger than a concert harp. If you leaned it with the smaller treble side against your shoulder you might reach all the strings. And no foot pedals to make it harder to play.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database