Mount Nemrut: Throne of the Gods

milhaus

Reactions
This morning while reading over this fantastic thread I started to look at old newspaper clippings of Petra and stumbled across another 8th wonder of the world that I have never seen or heard of. Mount Nemrut.

Mount Nemrut is an awe inspiring and enigmatic place located on one of the highest peaks of the Eastern Taurus mountain range, at an altitude of over 2,000 m above sea level, in south-east Turkey.

We know this ancient place as Nemrut Dagi - the Hierotheseion (temple-tomb and house of thracese gods) built by the late Hellenistic King Antiochos I of Commagene (69-34 BC) as a monument to himself.
The unique mountain top shrine was completely unknown to all until its discovery in 1881 by German engineer Karl Sester. At the time of the discovery, the megalithic statues were said to be intact. Archaeological excavations began for the first time in 1953 when the American School of Oriental Research conducted precise surveys of the site.

With a diameter of 145 m, the 50 m high funerary mound of stone chips is surrounded on three sides by terraces to the east, west and north directions. Two separate antique processional routes radiate from the east and west terraces.
Antiochus I's sanctuary is flanked by huge statues 8-9 m (26-30 ft) high of himself, two lions, two eagles and various Greek, Armenian, and Iranian gods, such as Vahagn-Hercules, Aramazd-Zeus or Oromasdes (associated with the Iranian god Ahura Mazda), Bakht-Tyche, and Mihr-Apollo-Mithras.
According to this documentary, during the expedition they uncovered inscriptions written in Greek that identified the figures as various gods as well as the author who preserved his own image. However, the first lines of text containing that individual's identity were illegible. But by combining the other inscriptions that they found, they were able to conclude this mount was built by King Antiochos I of Commagene. Not to be confused with Antiochus I Soter.

Antiochos, a just, eminent god, friend of Romans and friend of Greeks, c. 86 BC – 38 BC, ruled 70 BC – 38 BC) was an Armenian king from the Kingdom of Commagene and the most famous king of that kingdom.

The ruins of the tomb-sanctuary of Antiochus atop Mount Nemrut in Turkey were added to the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1987. Several sandstone bas reliefs discovered at the site contain some of the oldest known images of two figures shaking hands.

Antiochus I of Commagene, shaking hands with Heracles, 70–38 BC, Arsameia

There wouldn't be a more surreal handshake until 2000 years later when Elvis met Nixon.

While the Roman Republic was annexing territories in Anatolia, Antiochus, through skilled diplomacy, was able to keep Commagene independent from the Romans. Antiochus is first mentioned in the ancient sources in 69 BC, when Lucullus campaigned against the Armenian King Tigranes the Great. Antiochus made peace with the general Pompey in 64 BC, when Pompey successfully invaded Syria. Antiochus and Pompey then became allies. Antiochus in 59 BC was granted the toga praetexta and given official recognition from the Roman Senate as an ally to Rome. Antiochus received an ivory sceptre and an embroidered triumphal robe, and he was greeted as "king, ally and friend". This recognition was a traditional way of recognising and rewarding the allies to Rome. From his reign onwards, monarchs from Commagene proved to be the most loyal Roman allies. When Marcus Tullius Cicero was Roman governor of Cilicia in 51 BC, Antiochus provided Cicero with intelligence of the movements of the Parthians. During the civil war between Julius Caesar and Pompey, Antiochus provided troops for Pompey.

In 38 BC, a legate of Triumvir Mark Antony, Publius Ventidius Bassus, after campaigning against the Parthians, wanted to attack Antiochus and his kingdom. Antony and Bassus were attracted by Commagene's wealth. Yet as they were preparing to march against Commagene and its capital Samosata, Antiochus negotiated a peaceful settlement with them.
Let's just say this guy had quite the handshake.

Antiochus I Theos of Armenian kingdom of Commagene, wearing an Armenian tiara depicting the coat of arms of Artashes (Artaxiad) dynasty (Circa 69-34 BC).

Antiochus is famous for building the impressive religious sanctuary of Nemrud Dagi or Mount Nemrut. When Antiochus reigned as king he was creating a royal cult for himself and preparing to be worshipped after his death. Antiochus was inspired to create his own cult in the Greek form of the religion Zoroastrianism. Antiochus left many Greek inscriptions revealing many aspects of his religion and explaining his purpose of action. In one inscription, Antiochus directed that his tomb should be built in a high and holy place, remote from people and close to the gods, among whom he would be numbered. Antiochus wanted his body to be preserved for eternity. The gods he worshipped were a syncretism of Greek, Armenian, and Iranian gods, such as Hercules-Vahagn, Zeus-Aramazd or Oromasdes (associated with the Iranian god Ahura Mazda), Tyche, and Apollo-Mithras. The monumental effigies at the site show both Persian and Greek iconographic influences: Persian influences can be seen in the clothes, headgear and the colossal size of the images, while the depiction of their physical features derives from Greek artistic style.

Antiochus’ tomb was forgotten for centuries, until 1883 when archaeologists from Germany excavated it. According to the inscriptions found, Antiochus appears to have been a pious person and had a generous spirit. The ruins of the royal palace have been found in another city of the kingdom, Arsameia. This palace is known as Eski Kale or 'Old Castle'. In Arsameia, Antiochus has left many inscriptions in Greek of his public works program and how he glorified the city.

Founded in the 3rd century BC, this cult and burial site in Mt. Nemrut National Park was the summer residence of the Commagene rulers. In addition to the remains of steps and buildings on the summit plateau (with mosaics from the 2nd century BC), there are a number of reliefs and rock-chambers on the way up to the top.

The first large stele relief depicts the god Mithras-Helios, while the middle relief shows the Commagene King Mithridates and his son Antiochus I. From here, there is a rock tunnel leading to a burial chamber. A further relief depicts Mithridates shaking hands with the demigod Hercules.

This source claims it is Mithridates shaking hands with Hercules but there are said to be several. Might be a mistake but just noting it.

These statues were once seated, with names of each god inscribed on them. Later, the heads of the statues have been removed from their bodies and most likely deliberately damaged (especially their noses). Today they are found scattered throughout the site but they have never been restored to their original locations. Additionally, after numerous earthquakes and devastation, the stone heads that look as if they have been cut off from the trunk.

The site also preserves stone slabs with bas-relief figures that are thought to have formed a large frieze. These slabs display the ancestors of Antiochus, who included Armenians, Greeks and Persians. The Hierotheseion of Antiochos I is one of the most ambitious constructions of the Hellenistic period.

A highly developed technology was used to build the colossal statues and stelae, the equal of which has not been found anywhere else for this period. The syncretism of its pantheon and the lineage of its kings, which can be traced back through two sets of legends, Greek and Persian, is evidence of the dual origin of this kingdom's culture.
This is admittedly built with technology not found anywhere else during the same period. Which really begs the question; does this belong to the time period they have ascribed it to? Fortunately, the builders left us a clue on the west terrace.

According to Fomenko:

This is an obvious zodiac with a horoscope. We will abbreviate it as LK.

Historians who have studied this relief write: “A lion is depicted, one of the zodiacal signs ... and three planets above it” [15], p.166. However, historians, apparently, did not bother to conduct astronomical calculations in order to determine the date recorded on this zodiac. It is believed that so-and-so is “reliably known from historical considerations” that the “Leo Commagens” was made allegedly in “very ancient” times, and it features the horoscope of Antiochus I, the king of Commagens, allegedly born in 98 BC.

However, in this case “historical considerations” mean, in essence, nothing more than a chronological version of Scaliger-Petavius. Or its consequences. As we know, this version contains deep contradictions and requires a complete revision of [ХРОН1] - [ХРОН3], [АНХ], [НХЕ].

Therefore, we turn to the zodiac itself in order to calculate the date recorded on it, regardless of Scaligerian chronology.
I will skip ahead and present you with the possible dates he came up with:

We have already met with this horoscope in our study of the Egyptian zodiacs (see above and [НХЕ]). The same horoscope was discovered in the unfinished tomb of Senenmouth near the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. And also - on the Metternich stela. All the necessary astronomical calculations relating to this horoscope, we have already been done. Now it remains only to use them again.

The horoscope "all planets in Leo" has five solutions in the interval from -3000 to +2000 AD:

July, 12-1733 (1734 BC)
August 2-761 (762 BC)
July 2435 AD
August 151007 AD
September 1 (Art. Art.)1624 AD
ДРЕВНИЕ ЗОДИАКИ ЕГИПТА И ЕВРОПЫ. Датировки 2003-2004 годов. Г.В.Носовский, А.Т.Фоменко.

I really want to give a sense of scale here and also show you some more images before moving on.

Is the cage supposed to protect this?

Here is a fifty second video that shows the tunnels and chamber.

Picture from New Earth's youtube channel.

Sense of the height and view.

Unexplained mystery

Are ancient secrets hidden inside the mountain? Archaeologists believe that the mound hides the tomb of King Antioch, but they are not entirely convinced. In addition, there are numerous legends about the treasure hidden on the top of the mountain.

However, the truth regarding both the tomb and possible treasures has not been revealed during archaeological studies lasting for more than half a century. Even the use of dynamite, which only lowered the mound by 5 m, did not reveal anything of value.

Archaeologists have found an ancient glass shaft, which according to experts indicates a unique knowledge of advanced astronomy of people of that period. It runs towards the slope at an angle of 35 degrees and is about 150 meters long. Computer analysis has shown that two days of the year, the sun’s rays would illuminate the bottom of the shaft - once when in line with the constellation of Leo and another time when in line with Orion.
Okay, so naturally I looked for a Nimrut/Nimrod connection simply because of the phonetic similarity and Orion/Hunter connection.
Then I started thinking about the mound of stone shards and obviously wondered if there wasn't originally some large structure.
Like some sort of tower that got destroyed and reduced to sand.

The only thing I found on wiki was someone's comment:
Tower of Babel, Nimrod, Nemrud-Nemrut
This article should incorporate a discussion of King Nimrod, and the possiblity of an etymological connection between Nimrod and Nemrut. cs (talk) 05:18, 16 December 2008 (UTC)
This person made the claim it is actually Nimrod depicted here

On the West Terrace of Mount Nimrod (or NemrutDagi), sunset light falls on a 40-ton head of Greek god “Zeus” (Nimrod according to Turkish people) capped with a Persian tiara.

What is recorded in Gen. 10 about Nimrod supplies the key to the first half of Gen. 11 which tells of the building of the Tower of Babel. Gen. 10:10 informs us that the beginning of Nimrod's kingdom was Babel. The Greek form of the Hebrew word bavelor Babel is closely allied and probably derived from the Akkadianbabiluor “gate of God.” Afterwards, because of the judgment which the Lord there inflicted, Babel came to mean “confusion (by mixing)”. That at the time Nimrod founded Babel this word signified “the gate (the figure of official position) of God”, intimates that he not only organized an imperial government over which he presided as king, but that he also instituted a new and idolatrous system of worship. Nimrod demanded and received Divine honors. In all probability, it was at this point that idolatry was introduced.3
http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/nimrodandbabel.html

About 447 KM away is Nimrut Volcano

Etymology
Locals link the name of the volcano with the legendary ruler Nimrod, who is credited with the construction of the Tower of Babel. Turkish chronicles of the 16th century reproduce a local legend as follows:

Native believe that Nemruz used to spend the winters around and the summers on this mountain. For this purpose, he had a castle and a palace built on the summit. He used to live and spend lots of time there. He fell victim to God's wrath and got caught. Consequently, the god let this mountain, the height of which was not less than 2000 zira collapse and sink 1500 zira. This sinking created a lake of 5000 zira wide.[6]
Nemrut (volcano) - Wikipedia

Important points and closing thoughts:
This is supposed to be a burial site and Antiochus is believed to be mummified below but nobody has bothered looking yet...because the archeologists are not entirely convinced.

Once again we see the recurring theme where a site went undiscovered for a long period of time as this site was not rediscovered until 1881 or 1883 depending on the source. (similar situation: Pompeii)

During that expedition or as a result of it they were able to piece together who built this hill and when. And why.
Excavations didn't start until 1953.

The techniques do not match with the techniques used during the period this site has been dated by archaeologists. They openly admit this since there is no good explanation.
The dates don't appear to match the constellation inscription on the lion according to Fomenko.

Based on the research done by others on this site I don't really believe the mound of stone shards was the original blueprint.
The builders displayed precise knowledge of astronomy judging how the glass shaft was built.
Could it have originally been a temple, a tower, a pyramid? Or has it always looked this way?

I will not add more speculation because I am excited to hear other opinions!

I hope you have enjoyed learning about this location as much as I have. Thank you for reading and, of course, thank you to the original authors and researchers.

Links:
Mount Nemrut: 'Throne Of The Gods' - Mysterious Royal Tomb Surrounded By Gigantic Sculptures | Ancient Pages
Mount Nemrut - Wikipedia
Antiochus I Theos of Commagene - Wikipedia
12 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in the Mount Nemrut Region | PlanetWare
http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/nimrodandbabel.html
Kingdom of Commagene - Wikipedia
Nemrut (volcano) - Wikipedia
The lost Kingdom of Commagene
Armenian Kingdom of Commagene (a short analysis) - PeopleOfAr
The Antiochus of Commagene Lion Horoscope
ДРЕВНИЕ ЗОДИАКИ ЕГИПТА И ЕВРОПЫ. Датировки 2003-2004 годов. Г.В.Носовский, А.Т.Фоменко.

Attachments

jd755

Reactions
Since coming here I have become more wary about artifacts being what we are told they are, thanks everyone, so in that light I went looking for black and white aka film photographs of the site on duckduckgo. There don't appear to be any.
So using the google translate I found the Persian name for the site on the assumption it was in Persia before Turkey کوه نابود کنید
This produced no images of the site.
Changing to the Turkish Nemrut Dağı this produced page after page of pictures similar to the ones you posted, all colour.
Changing again to the Turkish version of 'mount nemrut black and white photograph' nemrut dağı siyah beyaz fotoğraf which did find a few but they were modern digital images.
One last throw of the dice I put in the Turkish version of this 'mount nemrut in old photographs' and found one, here it is.
heads.jpeg

From this site NEMRUT´UN KEŞFİ
Which google translate turns into this English version;

DISCOVERY OF NEMRUT
(47th issue - West's Archeology Rain)

Sester and Puchstein, on May 8, 1882, left an exact copy of the inscriptions when they left Mount Nemrut, and illuminated another feature of Mount Nemrut.

Unusual archaeological artifacts at Nemrut summit within the borders of Adıyaman province are unique values of the world cultural heritage. Antiochus I, King of Kommagene, has a magnificent sanctuary and tomb monument (temple monumental -hierothesion) built by the Taurus mountain range on the summit which is known as Nimrod Mountain in 2150 meters.

a 50-meter-high artificial hill (tumulus) composed of crushed stones. There are two terraces in the east and west of the tumulus with huge statues and reliefs. Antiokhos I, with its own statue on each terrace, sitting on thrones, 9 meters high gigantic god sculptures erected.

With the processing and overlapping of large stone blocks, each of which weighs about 7-8 tons, these statues of the gods are made in the same order on both terraces; From left to right are the God-King Antiochus I himself, the country's Mother Goddess Commagene, the middle of which are Zeus-Oromasdes in the middle, Apollo-Mithras by his side and Heracles-Artagnes on the far right.

On the back of the stone blocks that form the throne of the two terraces on which the statues of God sit, there is a long-term inscription (nomos) of 237 lines, which is a "testament" written by Antiochus I himself.

It is not until 1881 that the world of science became known for the first time at the summit of Nemrut Mountain. According to German Deputy Consul Müller-Raschdau, the Deputy Consular Director of the German Prussian Academy of Sciences in Berlin, a German named Karl Sester, who was working as a chief engineer in the construction of roads in the Diyarbakır province at a summit in the Eastern Antitoros Mountains, he claims to have had enormous Assyrian statues. According to their accounts, giant statues are located on two opposite terraces and separated from each other by a hill. According to Sester, these monumental works at an altitude of 2,000 m above sea level are closely related to Assyrian culture.

In 1881, when the Academy of Sciences came to this letter containing surprising information about Mount Nemrut, the members of the academy evaluating the subject were surprised and fell into dilemma. But in the end, the opinion of the scientists who proposed to investigate the real aspects of the information given by Sester was outweighed. For this purpose, Otto Puchstein and Karl Sester were assigned to make researches at the summit and Nemrut Mountain summit. After a challenging and adventurous journey, the two scientists reached Mount Nemrut on May 4, 1882, and found the first important information on the site. Puchstein noticed a symbol held by the headless statue on the north side of the series of statues sitting on the thrones in the left hand, and with a correct determination Heracles thought that he was always portrayed in his works of antique sculpture with such a pin.

After climbing to the podium where the sculpture bodies were, Puchstein saw the inscriptions written in Greek letters 5 cm high on the back of the stone blocks forming the throne-shaped stone seats and immediately attempted to analyze the inscription. He decided that the sculpture holding the pin in his hand portrayed Herakles.

It would appear at this stage prior to 1882 there were no photographs of the site and it doesn't appear to have been on the 'grand tour' that many european travellers undertook during the 1800's. I wonder who stood the heads upright after they were removed with remarkably little damage from the bodies, how it was done and finally why bother?
Edit to add, that picture of the lion bothers me simply because the quality of the carving (casting?) is remarkable and yet the wording looks piss poor by comparison as if done not by a master craftsman but a vandal without tools, just my take on it.

BStankman

Reactions
Thanks for opening this thread. I am looking forward hearing what others think of this site.

The mountain of unexplained mining tailing seems to be the key.
And the heads look like they were sculpted out of salt dough.

But I am on the fence whether this is a recent archeological fabrication to explain the mountain,
or if it is actual historical cargo cult activity.

$RAFRX7G.jpg $R4WK087.jpg $RKFLM1Q.png

jd755

Reactions
Not to detract but it occurred to me the lion is a representation symbol of the constellation of Leo but the number of stars is different.
However this intriguing site popped up from the title of the photograph
NDP: Replicas-Lion Horoscope « International Nemrud Foundation

Which has this to say;
The fragile reliefs were planned to be stored safely in the Nemrud Museum. Replicas had to be made and to replace the originals on the terrace. The Berlin Gipsformerei has the original casts of Humann-Puchstein. They were asked to make these replicas. The first one was the relief of the Lion Horoscope. The replica was commissioned and ready for transportation to the Nemrud in 2004.

So what we see are possibly cast stone replicas!
Certainly the Lion is a cast replica. I did a search for The Berlin Gipsformerei Nemrut casts and there were no pictures of these 1881 casts. Must have been quite an undertaking to take the heavy plaster and water up the mountain and the heavy and fragile casts back down again. Or even more difficult to take the fragile originals down the mountain to have their casts taken at a lower level, without breaking them.
There must be some documentation be it academic or media about this process either in German or Turkish.

Sadly I cannot get to see the pictures on this page due to non support of java apparently (Sorry, your browser does not support java.) but the image titles are intriguing.
Photos « International Nemrud Foundation
Post automatically merged:

Then went looking for pictures of the sites surroundings as that pile of stones looks like well a pile of stones, to be honest.
This site came up with pictures Historical gallery - armenian-history.com

and this intriguing text;
(Mt. Nemrut) is the first impressive peak rising from a flat plain in Northern Mesopotamia and stretches to a height of 2150 meters. It is matchless in its historical treasures. The original peak was removed and in its place was constructed the Tumulus of Antiochos I, one of the kings of Commagene (One of the four Armenian kingdoms) when it was at its height of power and art expression during the 1st century B.C. This interesting structure was made by heaping up pieces of rocks to make the 50 m x 150 m mound. The east and west terraces of this mound are open-air temples. On these terraces are statues of lions, eagles, five gigantic god statues, four male and one female.

That pile of stones is a big'un and looks t exactly the same shape as sand takes in the local sand quarry as it is dropped from above by the sorting machines conveyors.
archeology_mt.jpg

Last edited:
OP
milhaus

milhaus

Reactions
Sadly I cannot get to see the pictures on this page due to non support of java apparently (Sorry, your browser does not support java.) but the image titles are intriguing.
I was able to locate an archived version that had most of the images
https://web.archive.org/web/20120118121613/http://nemrud.nl/index.php/tourist-information/photos/

Restoration East Terrace - Moving Heads
ph_2_oost_a_001.jpgph_2_oost_a_002.jpgph_2_oost_a_003.jpgph_2_oost_a_004.jpgph_2_oost_a_005.jpgph_2_oost_a_006.jpgph_2_oost_a_007.jpgph_2_oost_a_008.jpgph_2_oost_a_009.jpg

Restoration – East Terrace – Repair statue Antiochos
ph_2_oost_b_002.jpgph_2_oost_b_003.jpgph_2_oost_b_004.jpgph_2_oost_b_005.jpgph_2_oost_b_006.jpgph_2_oost_b_007.jpgph_2_oost_b_008.jpgph_2_oost_b_009.jpg

Restoration – East Terrace – Repair Base Eagle and Lion
ph_2_oost_c_001.jpgph_2_oost_c_002.jpgph_2_oost_c_003.jpgph_2_oost_c_004.jpgph_2_oost_c_005.jpgph_2_oost_c_007.jpgph_2_oost_c_008.jpgph_2_oost_c_009.jpgph_2_oost_c_010.jpgph_2_oost_c_011.jpgph_2_oost_c_012.jpgph_2_oost_c_013.jpgph_2_oost_c_014.jpg

Restoration – North Terrace – Building temporary Restoration House
ph_2_noord_a_002.jpgph_2_noord_a_004.jpgph_2_noord_a_005.jpgph_2_noord_a_006.jpgph_2_noord_a_007.jpg

Restoration – West Terrace – Preconserving Dexiosis-reliefs
ph_2_west_b_001.jpgph_2_west_b_002.jpgph_2_west_b_003.jpgph_2_west_b_004.jpgph_2_west_b_005.jpgph_2_west_b_006.jpgph_2_west_b_007.jpgph_2_west_b_008.jpg

Restoration – West Terrace – Moving Dexiosis-reliefs
ph_2_west_a_001.jpgph_2_west_a_002.jpgph_2_west_a_003.jpgph_2_west_a_004.jpgph_2_west_a_005.jpgph_2_west_a_006.jpgph_2_west_a_007.jpgph_2_west_a_009.jpgph_2_west_a_010.jpgph_2_west_a_011.jpg

On site restoration might at least answer one question. Thanks for the link. The funny thing is I saw no mention of this.
I also saw conflicting stories about how the statues were beheaded. They blame it on either lightning or vandals. Additionally, I read that the heads were never moved from where they were found. Could just be outdated information.

As far as the lion goes, maybe we can compare it to the drawing in Fomenko's book:

Hopefully I didn't post the wrong image before but, don't worry all! I agree that the site itself is questionable. And should be questioned. I take no offense to the conclusions drawn by anyone.

Attachments

Ice Nine

Reactions
Not to detract but it occurred to me the lion is a representation symbol of the constellation of Leo but the number of stars is different.
However this intriguing site popped up from the title of the photograph
NDP: Replicas-Lion Horoscope « International Nemrud Foundation

Which has this to say;
The fragile reliefs were planned to be stored safely in the Nemrud Museum. Replicas had to be made and to replace the originals on the terrace. The Berlin Gipsformerei has the original casts of Humann-Puchstein. They were asked to make these replicas. The first one was the relief of the Lion Horoscope. The replica was commissioned and ready for transportation to the Nemrud in 2004.

So what we see are possibly cast stone replicas!
Certainly the Lion is a cast replica. I did a search for The Berlin Gipsformerei Nemrut casts and there were no pictures of these 1881 casts. Must have been quite an undertaking to take the heavy plaster and water up the mountain and the heavy and fragile casts back down again. Or even more difficult to take the fragile originals down the mountain to have their casts taken at a lower level, without breaking them.
There must be some documentation be it academic or media about this process either in German or Turkish.

Then went looking for pictures of the sites surroundings as that pile of stones looks like well a pile of stones, to be honest.
This site came up with pictures Historical gallery - armenian-history.com

and this intriguing text;
(Mt. Nemrut) is the first impressive peak rising from a flat plain in Northern Mesopotamia and stretches to a height of 2150 meters. It is matchless in its historical treasures. The original peak was removed and in its place was constructed the Tumulus of Antiochos I, one of the kings of Commagene (One of the four Armenian kingdoms) when it was at its height of power and art expression during the 1st century B.C. This interesting structure was made by heaping up pieces of rocks to make the 50 m x 150 m mound. The east and west terraces of this mound are open-air temples. On these terraces are statues of lions, eagles, five gigantic god statues, four male and one female.

That pile of stones is a big'un and looks t exactly the same shape as sand takes in the local sand quarry as it is dropped from above by the sorting machines conveyors.
View attachment 21086
Great thread @milhaus, I've always been intrigued by this place, just the sheer size of the heads alone was enough to make me wonder what the place really was, thank you for all the information.
And Turkey in general, so much was happening there.

Sure does look like a big tailing pile at Mt Nemrut. Can't imagine any other way, I don't think people were running up and down with buckets or wheelbarrows. not that is looks like a mining site per say, but the huge slag pile had to have been put there by something.
tailings.jpg

Last edited:
OP
milhaus

milhaus

Reactions
Do you think the Greek writing is original?
My personal opinion while researching was they were made for the "discovery". Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am weighs in on that.

Here is the other issue I am having - Where exactly is this tunnel and chamber? The only images I have found are in that fifty second clip I posted above. I have no idea what the source is of that clip but I believe I saw another version somewhere else with audio that was in another language. I will post it if I come across it again. However, I cannot find any pictures of these tunnels anywhere. Maybe the archaeologists don't want to look for Antochius because there is no tunnel?

If there isn't one then I have to wonder how many documentaries use footage from different places and claim it is one location. If anyone finds images of the tunnels or at least can find where the supposed entrance is located, please share.

Red Bird

Reactions
I’m pretty sure that it relates back to Nimrod because all gods do so.

Just a little info, not TOO off topic:
The catacombs thread was the first time I’d really paid attention to Mithras so I did a little digging. It seemed odd that he/it was related to French Revolution and kept popping up otherwise in the form of its little hat (underground, standing on a globe or coming out of the ground). Also Mithras seemed to be the most unknown historically and what better for secret societies?
Most mainline info leads you to believe Mithras was a God introduced by Persia to Rome etc. somewhat late. However it seems Armenia claims Mithras. While this area ebbed and flowed to different cultures, most notably Turkey- that isn’t Persia. Much origins history that says, Middle East etc, really means the ancient Armenia area. I think this is misleading- and there’s a reason for this.

I do think Mithras was late, relatively speaking, but one of my Main conjectures is all things flowed from Armenia at the beginning. Then it became continuously overrun and went down the same historical path as others.

OP
milhaus

milhaus

Reactions
Thank you!
They do appear to match up:

Approximate Location:

I’m pretty sure that it relates back to Nimrod because all gods do so.
I found it telling that the Mount Nemrut articles didn't even mention the etymological connection to Nimrod, but the article on the Nemrut volcano did.

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Milhaus, thanks for finding those images. Big machines, big frames, big buildings moving what is the question. Cast stone replicas from hidden to the public eye casts of the original which are now where exactly, and the casts, again hidden to the public eye are sat in the vault of a German museum. Same story for lots of this massive ancient statuary.
Not sure when it got its 'cannot investigate' UNESCO status but those pictures seem to show considerable restoration being done. That truck is not big enough to carry a forty tonne statue and its metal cradle, as far as I can tell. It would have made more sense to build a temporary structure over the statues in situ and restore them without moving them, if they are the real deal and not replicas to me at least.
I get the feeling their purpose is 'look at these ancient relics not the massive pile of stones behind' in the classic magicians sleight of hand routine as the pile of stones is too big to hide.

The crane is a Tadano Faun ATF 90-4 which has a maximum lift capacity of 90 tonnes and it is an all terrain crane even so getting up this mountain must mean a roadway of some kind exists. It's maximum reach with a 40 tonne load on is 6.5m. Tadano Faun ATF 90-4 load chart | FLEETfile

Reason for posting this is an effort to try and figure out what is being lifted using the limits of the crane as the guide.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Reactions
Good post van Houten!

Mount Nemrut reminds me of the Mile High Flea Market. It looks like an ancient antiquities yard sale or salvage auction from a few different cultures. Whoever knew where all of those artifacts came from originally and where to restore them to are long gone.

I'll moveses that cartouche when I gets around to it.

wild heretic

Reactions
Arsameia, located at the foot of the Mount Nemrut
is it this cave ? probably not, but it's on the site

View attachment 21163View attachment 21164

also did everybody just get out of a gym, all the statues depict such muscular men, this body type is just like the Sumerian/Annunaki body types, especially the overdeveloped a calf muscles, maybe they all had the same art teacher.

View attachment 21165View attachment 21167

Im typing this on a tablet so cant edit and cut and paste properly.

Look at the above image of the men shaking hands, is it just the way the stone is scratched or is the man on the left wearing spectacles?

Ice Nine

Reactions

Im typing this on a tablet so cant edit and cut and paste properly.

Look at the above image of the men shaking hands, is it just the way the stone is scratched or is the man on the left wearing spectacles?
It's just the way the stone is scratched, you can see it better in the original post of this thread.

whitewave

Reactions
Also, we've always been told that shaking hands was to show you have no weapons in your hand yet both men have weapons in their left hands.

Obertryn

Reactions
It's just the way the stone is scratched, you can see it better in the original post of this thread.
Actually, I wouldn't be so sure. Take a look at the bridge of his nose, there's a solid line resting on it that's not present on the other guy that looks an awful lot like a failed attempt to depict spectacles.

Apollyon

Reactions
good post never seen anyone in the frame with the heads hadn't realized the scale

BStankman

Reactions
Photographic record is really spotty.
Am I looking a two different sides of the mountain with heads in the same spot?

file.jpg nemrut_old_03.jpg nemrut__1963.jpg nemrud_dagi_fig_1.jpg