Mercator the mapmaker

jd755

Reactions
Not at all sure where this is heading but nevertheless just posting this as I feel Mercator is yet another 'character' from the 'official history' which is not what it appears to be.

Background is today I have been digging through Dutch, French, Spanish and even a Ukranian websites researching the scant life of Hieronymous Bosch and his many names for posting into this thread Hieronymus Bosch in the hopes of establishing, on balance, whether he was real or just a fiction.
As part of the digging I put his wife's name in Dutch into gibiru and it delivered up this site in French. Chronologie: Bois-le-Duc
Well my French is as non existent as my Dutch so I sought the aid of google translate and to my genuine amazement out came this;
Chronology Netherlands

Kremer [Mercator] trained in 's-Hertogenbosch by the Brothers of the Common Life (Netherlands) (S)

Now the connection to Bosch is through the town. Both Bosch and Mercator were 'active' in the exact same town called s-Hertogenbosch in French and Den Bosch in Dutch. Bosch apparently is a Dutch word meaning wood.
Then there is the Brotherhood(s) connections. There were at least two active at the same time.
The one that Bosch the painter was 'high up' in was called The Brotherhood of the Illustrious Lady aka The Brotherhood of Notre Dame (which is quite spooky as Notre Dame is being razed as I type) aka The Brotherhood of the Swan and the one Mercator was trained by, The Brothers of the Common Life.
The former had the approval of and was headed by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Liege the Brothers of Common Life I have yet to dig into.

To me there are no such things as coincidence and the appearance of Mercator is of some significance. Too worn out to do the digging just now so updates to follow.

Last edited:

Mabzynn

Reactions
The former had the approval of and was headed by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Liege the Brothers of Common Life I have yet to dig into.
Man... There's something to this area

Prince-Bishopric of Liège
The lodges in the principality of Liège, not submitted to the imperial edict of 1786, continued in a more classical manner.

In the principality of Liège, the first lodge seems to have been "La Nymphe" ("The Nymph") lodge of Chaudfontaine in 1749. In 1760, the prince-bishop banned freemasonry, but his successor François-Charles de Velbrück (1772–1784) belonged to and protected the Order (during the 18th century, several Catholic priests were also Freemasons.[citation needed])

In 1774 the "Union des Cœurs" lodge was founded in Liège by chevalier Pierre de Sicard, who had already founded several lodges from which he profited (according to U. Capitaine) - in the lodge's regulations, the cost of a mallet, an apron, a lodge rug and other Masonic equipment was precisely stipulated! This was not the first time that the mercantile instinct had intruded into Freemasonry, with France's Grand Lodge also struggling against it at this time. This was why, Ulysse Capitaine tells us, there was a huge transfer of "brothers" from this lodge to the "la Parfaite Intelligence" ("The Perfect Intelligence") lodge, created in 1775 by the Grand Orient de France. A schism quickly took place in this lodge, with the creation of the "la Parfaite Egalité" ("The Perfect Equality") lodge, finally recognised by the Grand Orient de France in 1776. Another lodge, the "Indivisible", in Spa, was created by the Grand Lodge of Holland in 1778 and rejoined the Grand Orient de France (according to Ulysse Capitaine) in 1787.

One of the most interesting books I've seen came from this area:
La galerie agréable du monde, où l'on voit en un grand nombre de cartes très exactes et de belles tailles douces les principaux empires, roïaumes, républiques, provinces, villes, bourgs et forteresses ...les îles, côtes rivières, ports de mer...les antiquitez, les abbayes, églises, académies...comme aussi les maisons de campagne, les habillemens et moeurs des peuples...dans les quatre parties de l'univers. Divisée en LXVI tomes, les estampes aiant été dessinées sur les lieux et gravées exactement par les célèbres Luyken, Mulder, Goerée, Baptist, Stopendaal et par d'autres maîtres renomez.... Tome troisième d'Arabie, Terre Sainte, Natolie & Assyrie / Pieter vander AA | Gallica

Not to mention from one of Korben's threads on the 1812 darkness:

In Liege, a huge cloud in the shape of a mountain hovered over the town, causing alarm among the "old women" who expected the end of the world on the eighteenth. In Ghent, a regiment of cavalry passing through the town during a thunderstorm blew their trumpets, causing "three-fourths of the inhabitants" to rush forth and throw themselves on their knees in the streets, thinking they had heard the seventh trumpet."

Just for own my own reminder I'm going to post some books here that I want to go back and translate:
Incipiu[n]t epistole magistri Petri Blesensis bathonie[n]sis archidyaconi .. : Peter, of Blois, approximately 1135-approximately 1212 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
[Pro Augustino responsiones ad capitula obiectionum Vincenianarum and two other tracts] : Prosper, of Aquitaine, Saint, approximately 390-approximately 463 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Paracelsus General 9
KorbenDallas General 9