Iterative evolution: Anyone ever hear of this before?

BrokenAgate

Reactions
The bird that came back from the dead

Short version of the article: The Aldabra rail, a flightless bird, was wiped out by "an inundation event" which they place at 136,000 years ago. But the flying version of the rail was still around, and they settled back on the island, and then re-evolved back into a flightless rail. With no predators on the island, the birds apparently didn't need wings, so they lost them. Maybe we should leave a few cats on the island, to see if they grow their wings back. 🙄

According to a study published Wednesday in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, the rail is an example of a rarely observed phenomenon called iterative evolution, in which the same ancestral lineage produces parallel offshoot species at different points in time.
Rarely observed? I've never even heard of it before! I swear, they make up stuff on the spot so we won't know that they have no clue what's really going on. Did this "inundation event" really happen that long ago, or was it more recent? I guess we'll never know.

I edited this to include a different link. The original page had two articles on it, and for some reason my link went to the second article.

Last edited: