Is this is a well, or a buried building?

BrokenAgate

Reactions

Okay, so I'm a sucker for feel-good animal rescue stories. Many of these involve dogs, donkeys, and other animals falling into open wells and having to be hauled out. Large, open wells, such as the one in this video, seem to be very common in India. Does this really look like a well, though? At the 1:49 mark, just above the rescuer, you can see what seems to be a blocked up window with a lintel stone still in place. I looked at the stonework, and it just seems odd that a well would be designed like this. Why make one that you have to go down inside to get the water? A small hole with a pulley system and a bucket would make more sense and require less stonework. Is this really how wells were made in the past? Or could this be the remnant of a building that was buried, and then the water table filled it up? I'm not sure if this counts as a "building," since I'm not sure that it is one, but maybe someone here knows more about this type of well and how they are made.

Timeshifter

Reactions

Okay, so I'm a sucker for feel-good animal rescue stories. Many of these involve dogs, donkeys, and other animals falling into open wells and having to be hauled out. Large, open wells, such as the one in this video, seem to be very common in India. Does this really look like a well, though? At the 1:49 mark, just above the rescuer, you can see what seems to be a blocked up window with a lintel stone still in place. I looked at the stonework, and it just seems odd that a well would be designed like this. Why make one that you have to go down inside to get the water? A small hole with a pulley system and a bucket would make more sense and require less stonework. Is this really how wells were made in the past? Or could this be the remnant of a building that was buried, and then the water table filled it up? I'm not sure if this counts as a "building," since I'm not sure that it is one, but maybe someone here knows more about this type of well and how they are made.
To me it looks exactly like a ruined building that has been semi burried and filled up with water.

OP
BrokenAgate

BrokenAgate

Reactions

Again, a dog is rescued from a well that does not look like a well. There are lots of these in India, probably elsewhere, too. These buildings must underlie entire towns and cities. Imagine how much soil it would take to bury all of that!