International Space Station saga: musical oranges or didgeridoo that gorilla

trismegistus

Reactions
I found another amazing piece of propaganda on Gizmodo today, apparently this is "ISS footage of the Soyuz Rocket launch"

This article is amazing because the first sentence cuts straight into cognitive dissonance land with reckless abandon.

In a video that looks like something a special effects shop would produce, ESA astronaut Alexander Gerst has captured one of the most remarkable views of a rocket launch we’ve ever seen.

What an absolute crock of shit this is, honestly. Either the propaganda teams behind this are getting lazier and lazier or the common person's standards for what is real and what isn't is much lower than it used to be...

BrokenAgate

Reactions
When viewing the original post, it is helpful to have this music playing in the background:

Seriously, WTH is all that?? I thought they had a very limited payload due to weight limitations, but these doofuses apparently brought half their households with them. Stuffed toys, an entire high school band's worth of musical instruments, tacky Christmas decorations, I sure as hell can't take them seriously anymore. And that floppy door! While think the guy's view is rather simplistic, I do agree that something fishy is going on here. And yet, underneath all the lies and the lunacy, there's something else going on. What we are seeing is a shiny house with termites under the brightly painted wood.

MeNTaLMoNKeY

Reactions
So if this video is legit, from an altitude of 254 miles there is still no discernible curvature to the Earth? (I don't propose that I'm on board with the flat earth theory, at the moment I'm not in either camp as I don't know what the truth is - I'm also quite open to entertaining concave earth.) But looking at this picture, assuming he's actually in space, wouldn't the curvature be visible from that height? According to other pictures on the Internet it should: ISS astronaut captures incredible images of Earth, moon AND Venus | Daily Mail Online

Maybe they thought that if the video were produced on an angle (I say produced because I don't think this was simply an astronaut filming the launch) that we wouldn't notice there's no curve? And if you'd call that a curve, it looks nothing like the curve shown in the pictures in the link above. Last time I checked the ISS was supposed to maintain a constant altitude, not bob up and down to a huge degree, enough so that the curvature could change like this...

Curvature.PNG

trismegistus

Reactions
Don't you hate it when you're up in the ISS, and you accidentally call emergency services?

The astronomical blunder sparked panic at the Johnson Space Centre in Texas and a security team was scrambled to the room where the call was put through.

He had been orbiting Earth in the International Space Station when he tried to make the call.

The 60-year-old spaceman explained how he had pressed 9 to make an outside call.

He then tried to phone internationally by pressing 011 - but mistakenly left out the zero.
In space, no one can take your calls if you don't dial out first! :ROFLMAO:

The astronaut - who completed two space missions totalling 203 days - also told how it is surprisingly easy to communicate with earth while on board the ISS.

He said that calls worked 70 per cent of the time - but that huge time delays were a struggle.

Kuipers recalled: "Sometimes people would hang up because they thought I did not say anything, so later on I started to talk as soon as I had dialled the last number".
Oh it's surprisingly easy, huh? Care to explain? No? Okay, I'll just see myself out then.

I am glad he is figuring out exactly how often his calls got through, though. This is what my tax dollars are paying for - - experiments to see how successful phone calls are from space to Earth.

I mean, I know the Sun is a trash rag, but this is honestly some of the laziest ISS shit I've seen in a while, and we've got some doozies on this thread.

AgentOrange5

Reactions
Honestly, I have no clue how bringing something back reduces the cost from $27,000 to $9,100. Both aircraft SpaceX, and Cygnus come back. SpaceX comes back loaded? What can SpaceX bring back to be fully loaded at landing? 7,300 lbs of what could come back to Earth?
My guess (assuming for the sake of discussion that NASA is telling us the truth about all of this) would be that not as much energy is needed coming down to earth, due to gravity pulling the rocket back down? As for what they are bringing back down, I guess the same junk and toys that that they sent up?

And going on the assumption that the ISS is real, I suspect that the reason so much junk and toys are going up, is that it's far cheaper to send things up than we are being told. The high price is probably to justify the spending in the US budget, but the money is probably going to some secret department that the government doesn't want listed in the budget.

Of course, it's possible the whole ISS is a set-up, with most of the budget going to the secret department.

There are certainly a lot of anomalies an weirdness with videos from the ISS. I suppose another explanation could be that the ISS is real, but the public is being shown staged videos on earth (maybe because the humans on the ISS are cavorting with aliens and they don't want that publicized.

TH Dialectic

Reactions
The American Space Simulator (more commonly knows as ASS) is hurtling overweight meatballs around the orbit of Earth at a speed of roughly 17,150 miles per hour (that's about 5 miles per second!).

This means that the Space Station orbits Earth (and sees a sunrise) once every 92 minutes!

I smell something ...

TH

sonoman

Reactions
years ago had a coworker tell us that the ISS was flying by at 6: something AM according to the weatherman so we all went out and looked for it. it was just before daylight and sure enough we saw a very shiny object moving across the sky.

it was moving pretty fast too, way faster than an aeroliner or the regular satellites we see moving in the night skys. from the time we noticed it to the time it went out of sight was less than a minute.

no way to verify exactly what it was but it was right on whatever schedule that weatherman had that was predicting the ISS flyby.

just sayin'