Interesting Finds on Old Japanese Maps

BrokenAgate

Reactions
In the 1785 Continental Map, the Great Lakes are missing from North America, but there is a long, narrow incursion of the ocean from east to west, or perhaps it's meant to be a huge river. Did this later become split up into individual lakes, or what is going on here? It's on a couple other maps, too.

On the same map, the Himalayas don't appear to be very tall. Are those supposed to even be the Himalayas?

ScottFreeman

Reactions
I was
Oh! You know, it probably is Babylonia!
In Japanese, H can become B by adding little quote marks called dakuten to the character, but for some reason these weren't consistently used in the past. Even though they wrote ハヒロウニア (Hahirounia), they could've totally meant バビロウニア (Babirounia).
I don't know why I didn't think of that :eek:

Also, on second thought the Japanese pronunciation for those characters for Africa probably would've been "Rimaa", making it much more similar to the Chinese "Limoya".
I was wondering about the pronunciation for the label on Florida in North America? It's so often labeled exactly that so it might give a language hint.

anotherlayer

Reactions
In the 1785 Continental Map, the Great Lakes are missing from North America, but there is a long, narrow incursion of the ocean from east to west, or perhaps it's meant to be a huge river.
I wondered if this was the Erie Canal.

OP
UnusualBean

UnusualBean

Reactions
I was wondering about the pronunciation for the label on Florida in North America? It's so often labeled exactly that so it might give a language hint.
Terra Aurora, seems to be the true origin of the current name, which means "Land of Flowers".
In the 1785 Continental Map, the Great Lakes are missing from North America, but there is a long, narrow incursion of the ocean from east to west, or perhaps it's meant to be a huge river. Did this later become split up into individual lakes, or what is going on here? It's on a couple other maps, too.

On the same map, the Himalayas don't appear to be very tall. Are those supposed to even be the Himalayas?
That stretch of water doesn't seem to have a name on any of these maps, so I'm not sure what it was meant to be.

Nothing stands out to me as saying "Himalaya", but honestly I'm struggling even figuring out what mountain is supposed to be what. I did manage to find the Kunlun Mountains, but only because they still have the same name o_O

ScottFreeman

Reactions
Terra Aurora, seems to be the true origin of the current name, which means "Land of Flowers".

That stretch of water doesn't seem to have a name on any of these maps, so I'm not sure what it was meant to be.

Nothing stands out to me as saying "Himalaya", but honestly I'm struggling even figuring out what mountain is supposed to be what. I did manage to find the Kunlun Mountains, but only because they still have the same name o_O
Thank you! I'd considered that since Florida is on nearly every map that means many peoples found it and stopped (fresh water springs I'd guess). They would have been of all nationalities. Could the word Aurora also mean something like 'many different colors (like flowers)'? Meaning, a land of many colored peoples? The "Olmec heads" and face decorations in the "ball courts" give me that impression too and they're not that far from each other.

I wonder how many cities were buried by the mud and covered by mangroves...then covered over by concrete for parking lots and condos, never knowing that below their feet was the 'old' ocean front property. Some parts of their seawall are still there as sand bars I think, star forts and all.

Anyway, didn't want to derail the thread and like the idea of maps from other cultures. Thanks again.

OP
UnusualBean

UnusualBean

Reactions
Thank you! I'd considered that since Florida is on nearly every map that means many peoples found it and stopped (fresh water springs I'd guess). They would have been of all nationalities. Could the word Aurora also mean something like 'many different colors (like flowers)'? Meaning, a land of many colored peoples? The "Olmec heads" and face decorations in the "ball courts" give me that impression too and they're not that far from each other.

I wonder how many cities were buried by the mud and covered by mangroves...then covered over by concrete for parking lots and condos, never knowing that below their feet was the 'old' ocean front property. Some parts of their seawall are still there as sand bars I think, star forts and all.

View attachment 17494

Anyway, didn't want to derail the thread and like the idea of maps from other cultures. Thanks again.
Nah, it's just flowers. It's even translated directly into Chinese as "Flower Land". Your guess is as good as any for why they chose that name though.

ScottFreeman

Reactions
Nah, it's just flowers. It's even translated directly into Chinese as "Flower Land". Your guess is as good as any for why they chose that name though.
Ahh well, the way words and languages get mixed around I thought perhaps there could be more to it. I get the feeling we're not translating Hieroglyphics quite the right way either but I'm not sure. I get the impression there's either a simpler way of reading them or they're more of a 3 dimensional concept. Who knows at this point. As was said by someone else here "I need 20 years in some of the old estate libraries".