I thought it was a TV at first: but it ended up being a framed picture

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
For a brief second I thought that I was looking at a 1799 Television Set. But the description was fairly clear, "Exhibition of a Democratic Transparency, with its Effect upon Patriotic Feelings. Caricature by James Gillray, 1799."

A fairly detailed description of the below images can be found here: Celebrating with Light: Illuminations and Transparencies

What a bizarre way to hang a painting. Especially when descriptions can not be trusted 100%: Marriage of the Dauphin Louis and Marie-Antoinette

Exhibition-of-a-Democratic-Transparency-Gillray.jpg Exhibition of a Democratic Transparency_TV.png
P.S. Not quite a photo, but hopefully suits the sub-forum.

humanoidlord

yeah the description doesnt matches the image,look at all those scared people looking at a .... painting?!
you know what this remenbers me a lot?, a security camera monitor, everthing matches: gridded look, hanged in such a way that its easy to see what is happening in each camera and the views indicate fairly normal and optimal places to hang security cameras, except we are apparently looking at 1799 here!