I thought it was a TV at first: but it ended up being a framed picture

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
For a brief second I thought that I was looking at a 1799 Television Set. But the description was fairly clear, "Exhibition of a Democratic Transparency, with its Effect upon Patriotic Feelings. Caricature by James Gillray, 1799."

A fairly detailed description of the below images can be found here: Celebrating with Light: Illuminations and Transparencies

What a bizarre way to hang a painting. Especially when descriptions can not be trusted 100%: Marriage of the Dauphin Louis and Marie-Antoinette

Exhibition-of-a-Democratic-Transparency-Gillray.jpg Exhibition of a Democratic Transparency_TV.png
P.S. Not quite a photo, but hopefully suits the sub-forum.

humanoidlord

yeah the description doesnt matches the image,look at all those scared people looking at a .... painting?!
you know what this remenbers me a lot?, a security camera monitor, everthing matches: gridded look, hanged in such a way that its easy to see what is happening in each camera and the views indicate fairly normal and optimal places to hang security cameras, except we are apparently looking at 1799 here!

WildFire2000

To me, it seems to be a political cartoon type thing from our papers nowadays, just in painting form. I'm torn between seeing it as the Nobility of the French government being terrified of the citizens for overthrowing their rule by 'seizing the bank, attacking parliament, seizing the crown, and finally establishing the French government' and casting their rule away ... the other side is the faceless government is instigating these conflicts and people are in fear of the various processes that they're attached to but feel powerless to stop.

I don't know.

I don't get the framing of the picture? Is that light emitting from the 'paintng' what is everyone in the bottom right staring at and why are people behind the painting?

The way the light is hitting seems more of like a projector to me. Atleast in terms of how the image is being displayed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Deejay Alternative Earth Shape 15