History of the two Tartar conquerors of China

Ice Nine

Reactions
I'm reading the book and it talks about the great wall of China and it said it was built 2,000 years ago, just wanted to mention that and even in times of peace it was guarded with a million troops.

I liked this part about some of the Tartarian lifestyle.

Last edited:

whitewave

Reactions
How populated was China during that time? Weren't they also building the grand canal of China about 2000 years ago employing 5 million Chinese for that endeavor? Was the country just packed full of construction workers? All those Chinese armed with shovels, picks, quarrying tools were defeated by some goat herders?

I wonder if the Tartars didn't build the wall via Chinese slave labor to keep out the rifraff (in their opinion) on their eastern border. As long as the wall had to take to build, if the Tartars were such barbarous invading neighbors they surely would have seen their future raiding plans about to be thwarted and stopped the wall from ever being built.

Ice Nine

Reactions
This subject is getting even more fascinating and confusing all the time! It always seems anything we can read about the Tartars, I always get the impression they were nomadic hunter gatherers, who happened to dress pretty nice. and were well known for their butter making.

And yet they conquered China twice! and jeez yeah, how many people where in China?

tupperaware

Reactions
I'm reading the book and it talks about the great wall of China and it said it was built 2,000 years ago, just wanted to mention that and even in times of peace it was guarded with a million troops.

I liked this part about some of the Tartarian lifestyle.

The Jesuits are everywhere in this book - blue balloons are pages with "Jesuit" in them. Just doing a simple search in these old very relevant books on certain "key" words is revealing.