Help with translation please!

jd755

Reactions
the SEAL of the Grand Lodge in London the Eighteenth day of July
In the year of our Lord One thousand Seven hundred and Eighty three
?nd in the year of ??asomy five thousand Seven hundred and eighty three.

It's masonic so sadly no idea, as I've never peered into the world of the mason, so what the masonic date 'year of' is someone on here will doubtless know, but my money would be that the masonic calendar and its supposed start date, is very different to the one we get told is 'real' aka the Gregorian created by those 'good old boys' the bloody Roman Catholics.
This of any use?
MasonicWorld.com

Last edited:

Mabzynn

Reactions
the SEAL of the Grand Lodge in London the Eighteenth day of July
In the year of our Lord One thousand Seven hundred and Eighty three
?nd in the year of ??asomy five thousand Seven hundred and eighty three.
And in the year of Masonry

They are weird stylized dates but definitely 5783 and 1783

It's the mason Anno Lucis... Year of the Light.

Last edited:

MAdrr

Reactions
I am assuming Blue Lodge they usually ad 4000 to the current date
For A. D. 1930, it would be: A. L. 5930This is not for the reason that they believe Freemasonry to be coeval with creation, but because of its symbolic reference to the Light of Masonry

ShemTov

Reactions
this is lucifers joke. when holders of this membership card get to the pearly gates they will find that creation date is actually 4004bc and their paperwork is invalid. there is a special place in hell for those that try to jump the line into heaven.

space966

Reactions
Yes, it is masonic date. If book or document is printed under masonic supervision, it often will have such date. In Christian, western Europe literature you'll often find Anno Mundi (after creation of universe), Anno Domini (years after Christ). Actually it should be named Anno Adam, because, as I know, years are counted after creation of Adam.
In Talmud, rabbinic literature it's not agreed from where to count time, so it's usually counted from Adam. You can check book Yesod Olam on Biblical chronology, but it's only in Hebrew and not translated in any other language.
In 1309/10 CE (5070 Anno Mundi), Isaac ben Joseph Israeli of Toledo, Spain composed the scientific treatise Yesod Olam (The Foundation of the World). Book 4 of the work teaches, primarily, the principles of the Jewish calendar and their application.
more here Yesod Olam