Good News! Beating Sunday School Kids is OUT!

Jim Duyer

Reactions
I was researching a topic and noticed that the Hebrew Rabbin (plural for Rabbi but your spell-checker is probably goy-built) had modified one of the existing proverbs,
Proverb 22:15, to say: "A nod to the wise is sufficient; the fool requires a blow". After laughing hysterically for a while, I decided to look up the original Hebrew that they were quoting. Because it couldn't be that funny.

The King James Version has it as "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

The actual Hebrew tells a different story.
The words, in the order that they are given, and with the number of times that each occurs is:

conspired 18, bind 14 (to league together)
folly 13, foolishness 10
instruction 30, correction 8 (discipline)
tribe 140, rod 34 (to branch off)
young man 76, servant 54, child/lad 77
heart 508, mind 12, (will, understanding)
in, at, to, on, among, with, towards, by, because of
than 224, above 46, among 35, any 35, besides 46, outside 52,
far 25, (to be or become far or distant)

So I believe that they meant something like : "Foolishness conspires in the heart of a young man; reaching further than any instruction." So it was probably just a comment on how difficult it is to train young students, and NOT A COMMANDMENT TO BEAT THEM.

So let's all just take it for granted that we no longer have to beat those ignorant kids, the ones that just don't "get" the bible teachings.

Starmonkey

Reactions
KJV took some wild liberties for continued enslavement.
Older languages with numeric correspondence or equivalents much DEEPER.
Latin a JOKE. Dead language or language of death?...
Stuffed, mounted and labeled on a shelf.
Curious what the "nagging wife, leaky roof" and "fool doing a stupid thing a second time is like a dog going back to its vomit" translations are. Lots of nagging or irritating sexist proverbs...

Moron Face

Reactions
Curious what the "nagging wife, leaky roof" and "fool doing a stupid thing a second time is like a dog going back to its vomit" translations are. Lots of nagging or irritating sexist proverbs...
We've all returned to our own vomit before. Think about stupid things we have repeated to our hurt. Learning from mistakes is what matters in the long run. If we are still breathing we have time to get it right.

The "rod" mentioned in Prov 13:24 "Spare the rod, spoil the child," is the rod of discipline, discipline which also includes positive encouragement. Even if this Scripture alludes to a real "rod" it would be a wooden rod, not metal, of course. This same rod is referred to in Psalm 23, "Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me." So it can't be all that bad can it? :)

Starmonkey

Reactions
Or a RUBY RHOD. Definitely Chris Tucker's most OUTRAGEOUS role ever.
Nah, there's wisdom there for sure. Just some mistranslations. Curious about older Hebrew or Aramaic interpretations. Like Sanskrit, they have numerical equivalents.
MATRICES.
Oh, and I've got a lot of ROD to go around. For children of ALL ages...
The rod and staff clutched in the arms of a beautiful and powerful mummy. Blue and gold. STRIKING. As a child, the cover of the Hardy Boys "The Mummy Case" really stood out and caught my attention.

OP
Jim Duyer

Jim Duyer

Reactions
We've all returned to our own vomit before. Think about stupid things we have repeated to our hurt. Learning from mistakes is what matters in the long run. If we are still breathing we have time to get it right.

The "rod" mentioned in Prov 13:24 "Spare the rod, spoil the child," is the rod of discipline, discipline which also includes positive encouragement. Even if this Scripture alludes to a real "rod" it would be a wooden rod, not metal, of course. This same rod is referred to in Psalm 23, "Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me." So it can't be all that bad can it? :)
No, not that bad..... unless you happen to be the one that is being "disciplined". The point that I was trying to make, is that we should accept the Old Testament as a collection of information and not as the literal truth, historical or otherwise, simply because of the many mangled translations.