Four Fingers?

Effie

Reactions
The same account which is given of monstrous births in individual cases can be given of monstrous races. For God, the Creator of all, knows where and when each thing ought to be, or to have been created, because He sees the similarities and diversities which can contribute to the beauty of the whole. But He who cannot see the whole is offended by the deformity of the part, because he is blind to that which balances it, and to which it belongs. We know that men are born with more than four fingers on their hands or toes on their feet: this is a smaller matter; but far from us be the folly of supposing that the Creator mistook the number of a mans fingers, though we cannot account for the difference. And so in cases where the divergence from the rule is greater. He whose works no man justly finds fault with, knows what He has done. At Hippo-Diarrhytus there is a man whose hands are crescent-shaped, and have only two fingers each, and his feet similarly formed. - Augustine, The City Of God and Christian Doctrine
handss.jpg

Start counting the digits on old photos?

kentucky

Reactions
An idiosyncrasy that I have had for most of my adult life (and never considered sharing with anyone before) is that, often and randomly, when I would view a picture of a person whose hands were not necessarily prominent in the picture, but nevertheless present, I would count fingers, almost in an OCD-like fashion.

However, for whatever reason, I’ve always been expecting to find six of them. I’ll recount them, also, just to make sure. I’ve consistently been disappointed only to have found five on any one hand.

I feel that I may have always been on the lookout for a six-fingered man because of some movie that I watched as a child (edit: The Princess Bride, aside). Or, maybe it was from having thumbed through a Guinness book of world records, or some book of the weird, having come across the notion there.

Nevertheless, always six fingers, not four. However, four does make sense as a “deformity”, it seems - as webbed/cleffed hands are also a thing. Regarding that, it may prove purposeful to explore some possible congenital correlation to such a phenomenon, as does this article that speaks to royal in-breeding deformities.

Also, there’s this, about a six-fingered Buddha statue supposedly created in homage of the emperor who had commissioned it: ABCs of Longmen: The mystery of Buddha statue with six fingers

Add to that the biblical account of six-fingered/six-toed giants.

Last edited:

Ice Nine

Reactions
Ha, yeah I always look for 6 fingers on anything old, statues, carvings, paintings, even old pictures, just to be sure. I must have read about it years ago in regards to giants having 6 fingers and some with double rows of teeth.

I better start looking for 4 fingers as well.

Deleted_x7

Reactions
four finger discounts?

knew a guy years ago that had six toes on each foot and four fingers on each hand (plus a thumb) his younger brother did not have six and they looked pretty much alike otherwise. but there are people with 12 toes for sure, Ive seen one..

anotherlayer

Reactions
Not to turn this into a Six Finger thread but, I heard that the idea of Native American's greeting outsiders saying "Howgh" and holding up an open hand was to show the digits. And when I heard this, the idea was they had 6 fingers. And they were really tall.

Sidenote, a bible quote:
A literal interpretation of the verses suggests that his brother and three sons were also of giant stature. The name of Goliath's third son does not appear in the Bible, so we have named him Exadactylus as it was said that 'he had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes' (Samuel 21:20-21).

Moshtradamus

Reactions
So this appealed to my interest in unusual things, which led me to do a quick google search. The first few hits were various Reddit posts of people posting pictures of their hands. Only a few, with some having comments mentioning this person or that person with only four things. But I was still surprised by it. I had never heard of it before, but there they are.

Unfortunately, the next few hits were the Wiki page for the condition, “Why do animated characters only have four fingers?”, and “Celebrities who are missing fingers!”