Founded - "Found Dead"

Maxine

Reactions
When somebody recently pointed this out on this forum i've been thinking a lot about it, because indeed founded sounds just like found dead. So when they talk about cities that were founDead somewhere in 19th(i9th) century and below it gives a whole new perspective on the whole picture on what really happend, they didn't actually built all these magnificent cities they found them dead (abandoned or destroyed or both)

Last edited:

eddie

Reactions
woah.

Always wondered where the term "founded" came from, ever since playing Civilization 2. Found dead makes a little bit too much sense...

SeVen

Reactions
It seems an unnecessary addition to the word found, so you may be on to something :) .
Phonetic pronunciation really opens your eyes/ears to the ‘hidden in plain sight' meaning. Disease. History. Repent. Add the ‘dead’ to the end of that one and it takes it somewhere no one really wants to go. Repented.

Ishtar

Reactions
And cor
You should stay away from phonetics, certainly the road less travelled.
Here's a couple for ya,

Mort-gage= death gauge
Corp-oration= dead talking

If we ask how words are constructed we always say they are spelt, when putting them together we use the term spelling.
And corporations are also founded...

Bear Claw

Reactions
You should stay away from phonetics, certainly the road less travelled.
Here's a couple for ya,

Mort-gage= death gauge
Corp-oration= dead talking

If we ask how words are constructed we always say they are spelt, when putting them together we use the term spelling.
As if casting a magic spell eh?

Anyway, the other similar bandied about word that deserves similar reflection is:

FOUND-LING.

Dictionary.com says an infant that has been abandoned by its parents and is discovered and cared for by others, although I suspect other definitions could also be apt.

The orphans of 'fallen' (dead? or morally corrupt?) women taken in by Found-ling orphanages.

Found-lings used to repopulate the Found-dead cities?
Post automatically merged:

No pun but still another word that does not mean built, to describe our buildings.
Your username is apt here!

Last edited:

Obertryn

Reactions
The dictionary certainly isn't any help, suggesting that the word comes from French and Latin meanings for "bottom". Which is a fairly odd jump to "building something". "Bottom" makes me think of graves, not grand architecture.

anotherlayer

Reactions
The dictionary certainly isn't any help, suggesting that the word comes from French and Latin meanings for "bottom". Which is a fairly odd jump to "building something". "Bottom" makes me think of graves, not grand architecture.
But if you take it a bit further you have "foundation". So it still works. The City of Wherever, Founded 1813. It was placed on top of already existing foundations???