Folly Buildings: what are they?

JWW427

Reactions
The topic of these little dandy shacks has always intrigued me. I saw a few in England many years back and I thought they were a silly extravagance perpetrated by the English and French elites back in the day for tea parties and pagan worship ale fests. Not anymore!
The English aristos hired short, poor, "druid" hermits for a pittance to live in some of them, Hobbit-style. Hence the old term "Folly Hermit" for someone who is a shy shut-in or severely antisocial. That sounds like a cruel cover story if true.

Dunmore folly.jpeg

Other than being the usual suspect "ancient technology" in play, I have no idea what these were really about. A poor man's castle? Another way of showing off for the fetching Dutchess of Devonshire? A satellite structure for...communication with satellites? I need help here, y'all. I'm stumped.

"The Beacon" one looks like a few neoclassical gazebos here in Wash. DC on The National Mall, but dare I say it could be the equivalent of druid standing stones and their possible portal technology a la the TV series Highlander?
Nahhhh, just a bunch of crappy columns...

The Rushton folly is famous. It's loaded to the gills with astrological and sacred geometry symbolism. It's a smoking Tommygun in my threadbare book. Loaded with occult tidbits and 3-6-9 universal type measurements of the cosmos. The Holy Trinity. Sacred cubit. Fibbonacci everything, I believe.
Nahhhh, it's just a cute little ol' folly!

The Dunmore folly has a huge pineapple rotunda. Okay, the pineapple we're told is an 18th century icon of welcome and hospitality since pineapples came from the West Indies and points south by ship. Expensive. Delicious. I love 'em. Vitamin C galore. A scurvy-ender.
Could they be representative of our pineal glands like the pine cone imagery we have globally?
Nahhhh, it's just a succulent treat for Sunday's garden party...in the matching folly!

Something's amiss here, and we are given the usual PTB run around for We The Sheeple.

JWW

Excerpt:

Exploring the landscape of country houses.

A Ha-ha wall and a Folly are two architectural landscape features found in the grounds of an English country house designed and built between the 17th and 19th centuries.
Many of these architectural landscape features are based on classical architecture in the Palladian style and were intended to be part of an 'Arcadian' pastoral landscape, but some also had a practical use. Later in the period, Gothic and Chinese architectural features could also be found in the landscape.
Below are just a few of the architectural features you may find on a walk through the grounds of a historic English country house.

Folly.
This covers all types of structures which were built on the whim of the landowner and having no apparent purpose such castle ruins or an eight sided tower.

Before the Garden Gnome, the Ornamental Hermit: A Real Person Paid to Dress like a Druid

Beacon folly.jpegBroadway tower folly.jpegBuckighamshire folly.jpegFolly rotunda.jpegLamour folly.jpegfolly hermit.jpeg

Last edited:

Starmonkey

Reactions
Being a hermit myself, I'd live in that Brodway tower folly. Beats half a block off busiest highway in Montrose, CO.
Looks like it would hold all of my books comfortably...
Hell, I'd even give them free full moons, fruitbaskets, pressed hams and from behind lemur climbing shots. Talk about folly!
;)

Oh, and I wouldn't be wanting or needing any wi-fi either. I'd leave ALL that shit behind.
;) ;)

Starmonkey

Reactions
Wow. Maybe I would live in THAT one. I do like FRUITS, and pineapple is my favorite. Mangoes...
Coconuts...
People must've used to just be walkin around TRIPPIN. Made them easy to take out when the party crashers came along. Buzz kill.
Seriously, the one at the Vatican pisses ME off. Peacocks to boot...
Nice find with the schematics. We should all build them for ourselves.

Precipitate.
Stalagtite? Or stalagmite?...
Reminds me of eastern temples that look like sea monkey castles.

If only they'd had some ICE NINE when that mud hit...
Damn mud. Bet soldiers in Vietnam would've voted for it.

Only the end of the world AGAIN.
Maybe we'd luck out over KVJ's (not KJV) version and have SHARKNADOS.
Dynamite money for peace!
Love and peace! Love and peace!
✌

Last edited:

AgentOrange5

Reactions
Folly.
This covers all types of structures which were built on the whim of the landowner and having no apparent purpose such castle ruins or an eight sided tower.
Nice write-up, I had never heard of follies before. And what a typical write-off by official sources, they don't know or don't want to say what the purpose was, so it must have just been a "whim" of the landowner. But sounds like it would have been a cool job at the time, playing druid in one of these "follies." Not that I believe that ever happened.

Starmonkey

Reactions
Well, a couple are just like pavilions. Couldn't really live in them.
Pineapple dome looks like several hermits could dwell they're comfortably. As long as they got along.
Maybe they're own little court magicians? Like QE1 and John Dee? And druids. Depends on your fetish I guess.
Or the old school version of "mother-in-law" cottage! Would be hard to get her out of there once she'd rooted herself in.

jd755

Reactions
I've been in more than a few and up close to more and they are exactly that follies. Little and not quite so little buildings with no purpose beyond looking nice in the landscape and a place to take in the landscape. Some are big enough to dine in some aren't. Mud flooded they ain't as the majority are high up in the landscape.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Yup, the official description is rather interesting:
  • a costly ornamental building with no practical purpose, especially a tower or mock-Gothic ruin built in a large garden or park
I would imagine that only a society with some extra money and resources would get engaged in building something like that.

I will also speculate that they did have a purpose which we do not understand. Could be similar to what the arches of triumph served for. Transportation?

Bear Claw

Reactions
Like a covered bus stop or an interdimensional gateway? Probably some options in between there.

How about rest stops? With no toilets because no one needed them back then? Basically life energy recharging stations.

Save points? Is that too silly?
I think in Clive Barker's imajica, Godolphin uses his folly (from his landed gentry estate in hampsted) to transport to the dominions. Aware that this is just a fantasy novel. However your comment reminded me exactly of that. It was very much described as an interdimensional train stop. I am fairly sure at least some other people on here think truth is often hidden in fiction / movies / books. Of course Clive Barker claims that he didn't so much write imajica as he became possessed and the story fell out of him...

My personal thought is (either the above), OR quite possibly an attempt by the early resetters to mimic the inherited architecture, without the knowledge of how to make big proper buildings?

They also quite often have gargoyles etc - some on here would suggest a call card of TPTB / paganism.

I think a possible route to understanding would be that many of them will have inscriptions in Latin on.

For instance: Rushton Triangular Lodge (that word reminds me of freemasonry) has inscripted upon it:

1. Aperiatur terra & germinet Salvatorem: "Let the earth open and … bring forth salvation" (Isaiah 45:8) - SCARY THOUGHT IS A GATEWAY FOR HELL BEASTS OF THE APOCALYPSE?
  2. Quis separabit nos a charitate Christi?: "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?" (Romans 8:35)
  3. Consideravi opera tua, Domine, et expavi : "I have contemplated thy works, O Lord, and was afraid" (a paraphrase of Habakkuk

So you have Christianity mixed with paganism (gargoyles). When Jesus abandoned America, or why TPTB prefer Pagan Gods

In fact there is plenty of imagery, iconography, mystery surrounded that could provide further clues, just on this folly alone:

Rushton Triangular Lodge - Wikipedia - Also used as the artwork for an album called 'Sun Structures' by a band called 'Temples' apparently.

An interesting thing to do if someone perhaps had the means or time, would be to put the location of the follies over a map. Maybe there is a link to something, possibly ley lines?

Etymology wise - folly is such a building as discussed. But also an act of foolishness. Could be that they were an act of foolishness somehow. Demons need to enter this earth from somewhere. Interdimensional travel? A great idea that turned out to be a big mistake?

Last edited:

Banta

Reactions

OpenMind

Reactions
I've been in more than a few and up close to more and they are exactly that follies. Little and not quite so little buildings with no purpose beyond looking nice in the landscape and a place to take in the landscape. Some are big enough to dine in some aren't. Mud flooded they ain't as the majority are high up in the landscape.
Completely agree, this is one of the best I've been to
Gallery of Hawkstone Park Follies

OpenMind

Reactions
Do I detect sarcasm? No history hidden here, just a silly little garden. Move along.

View attachment 28631 View attachment 28632 View attachment 28633 View attachment 28634
No, no sarcasm. This place is way to high to be mudflooded. I agree with that. When I first visited this place I hadn't discovered this forum and the strangeness of the 1800s. I've always known deep down shit isn't right, as nothing really makes sense. We are going there again next year so I'll take many many more pictures.

Mabzynn

Reactions
No, no sarcasm. This place is way to high to be mudflooded. I agree with that. When I first visited this place I hadn't discovered this forum and the strangeness of the 1800s. I've always known deep down shit isn't right, as nothing really makes sense. We are going there again next year so I'll take many many more pictures.
Or the height doesn't matter because once the area is vibrating at a certain frequency that soil is going to liquefy.

Don't they say the Earth is always ringing like a bell anyways?