Flight around the world map, 1915

Red Bird

Reactions
Also the stars. Completing it (joining at the top) might’ve been too obvious.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Bernard Joseph Stanislaus Cahill (1866–1944), cartographer and architect, was the inventor of the octahedral "Butterfly Map" (published 1909; patented 1913); an early proponent of the San Francisco Civic Center (1899–1909); and designer of the Columbarium of San Francisco.
1975-Cahill-Keyes543x540px.jpg

Interesting, but I do not understand any of this.

SuperTrouper

Reactions
I'm sorry for a slight tangent but I absolutely have to share this. A couple of nights ago I had a dream that I was flying from San Francisco (!) to Rome, and that instead of the 13 hr flight time (which I checked later was the actual flight time), the flight was going to take 72 hrs. In my dream, somehow I found out that the reason for a longer flight was that the Earth had expanded significantly. Meanwhile, once on board, the airline drugged all the passengers to sleep so that they wouldn't realise that the flight took that long. :D
Post automatically merged:

God bless America. Can someone explain me, how can be flight path from San Francisco to Moscow only 450 miles?

View attachment 25422
I reckon that all those flight distance values simply add up from one destination to the next (e.g. St Petersburg to Moscow 450 miles, then Moscow to Omsk 900 miles, etc) to reach the total figure of 19000 miles.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Hmm... interesting indeed that is. It's like a double double whammy in there:
  • A columbarium is a place for the respectful and usually public storage of urns holding cremated remains, but can also mean the nesting boxes of pigeons. The term comes from the Latin "columba" (dove) and, originally, solely referred to compartmentalized housing for doves and pigeons.