Flame-bladed swords. 15th Century Pro-Sports, and the Battle of Anghiari

humanoidlord

Reactions
There is an opinion out there, as well, that watever filled up the armor was invertebrate in nature.
yep, there is a statue that shows a flat worm like thing coming out of a open kinght helmet

That x-ray of the sword handles - were the swords ornamental or functional? The detail we see appears to be the structure of the handle itself, with the end of the sword blade visible underneath. A functional sword needs a large tang for weight distribution - a large area of sword metal within the grip area. Several of those present partial tangs which are more typical or ornamental swords.

Regarding the Italian 'warrior' class - I remember reading about how people from that part of the world didn't actually fight bloody battles all the time. Some 'wars' were merely group verbal exchanges and insults, as it was with the Zulu of Africa. Maybe that was the case of the OP horse trampling situation? I don't doubt for a minute that there were people (still) who could marshal and control natural forces like electricity. Sometimes there's more to be gained by hiding technology than by using it.

Greek fire is the ultimate pyrotechnique. It's a lot like napalm only impossible to extinguish. It even burns underwater. I believe I have the recipe in an old book on a flash drive, but Wikipedia says it was lost to history.
agree with dirigible, sounds interesting

Last edited:

PrincepAugus

Reactions
yep, there is a statue that shows a flat worm like thing coming out of a open kinght helmet

agree with dirigible, sounds interesting
I would like to see that worm-knight image!
Today we can write down that it was for swimming.

I have some information on the knights armor. Probably enough for an article one day.
Would love to see a thread of that too!

notsogreat

Reactions
Hi all, this is my first post after lurking for a long time so firstly thanks for the incredible insights and detailed threads.

Hopefully this isn't a completely pointless post but its a bit of fun and immediately came to mind when I watched New Earths video on the exoskeleton knights.

We've all seen 'predictive programming' of sorts but I didn't think this video game from my childhood would make an appearance. Has anybody heard of Earthworm Jim?

Again I hope I'm not derailing the thread as KorbenDallas said, this topic is likely thread worthy in its own right. I have a lot more interesting images on this topic if people think it warrants a new thread? Also their not all video games more wood engravings, old books etc

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
Hi all, this is my first post after lurking for a long time so firstly thanks for the incredible insights and detailed threads.

Hopefully this isn't a completely pointless post but its a bit of fun and immediately came to mind when I watched New Earths video on the exoskeleton knights.

We've all seen 'predictive programming' of sorts but I didn't think this video game from my childhood would make an appearance. Has anybody heard of Earthworm Jim?

View attachment 17001View attachment 17005

Again I hope I'm not derailing the thread as KorbenDallas said, this topic is likely thread worthy in its own right. I have a lot more interesting images on this topic if people think it warrants a new thread? Also their not all video games more wood engravings, old books etc
Loved earth worm jim as a youngster.

Looks similar too.

Looked like a panther or something in that statues chest. It has a very feline face, but appears to have horns, looks a bit like the baphomet images. Not the worm, on the chestplate.

Where is this, is there a larger image with more context?

notsogreat

Reactions
Loved earth worm jim as a youngster.

Looks similar too.

Looked like a panther or something in that statues chest. It has a very feline face, but appears to have horns, looks a bit like the baphomet images. Not the worm, on the chestplate.

Where is this, is there a larger image with more context?
Yeah somebody posted the original video earlier in the thread. New earth did a small documentary on the sculpture but I forget the artist. Really good watch.

SanPhaedrus

Reactions
View attachment 17001View attachment 17005

Very interesting. I've been playing a new PC game titled Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. The game centers around a Japanese emperor who has 'Dragon's Blood' - immortality, and the title character is able to be resurrected after having died.

In the game's lore, there is also a faction of monks who were attempting to make another form of the dragons blood, but the experiments went haywire and instead of being able to resurrect, those with the 'fake-dragons blood' became infected with centipedes and would not be able to die in the first place. To kill these enemies, you literally rip the centipede from out of their body, the host dies and the parasitic union ends.

Here's an interesting take from reddit regarding Dragons/Serpents VS Centipedes in Japanese/Sekiro lore. Here's a bit of it:
There are multiple legends in Japan of battles occurring between giant serpents and monstrous centipedes. Two such examples are the legend of Tawara Toda as well as the battle of the gods of Mt. Akagi and Mt. Futara. In the legend of Tawara Toda, the hero Fujiwara no Hidesato came to a bridge where a giant serpent lay. Unafraid, he steps over the serpent only for it to disappear into the water and return as a beautiful woman. She comments on his bravery and asks for his assistance in slaying the giant centipede Ōmukade who had slain her children. After agreeing to help, he slays the beast by firing arrows into it's eyes and throat (depending on the story) and is rewarded with gifts from the woman including a bag of rice that will never empty. Meanwhile, there is another such legend in which the gods of Mt. Akagi and Mt. Futara in Japan take the forms of a Centipede and Serpent respectively and battle. In this version, the Serpent recruits the help of a master archer by the name of Sarumaro to slay the Centipede in a similar fashion. So, knowing these tales there is already an obvious connection between the many Centipede and Serpent references in Sekiro, but let's take things a step further.

So I'm thinking here about the St. George, worm-knights, dragons (wyrms?), immortality, and the empty sets of armour often carried around in depictions of fasces technology:

empty-knights.JPG

Here's another fun picture to go along with these thoughts:
800px-French_fasces.jpg

Here's a text that theorizes about 'a serpent or Worm living the the left ventricle of the Human Heart. (1633): A most certaine and true relation of a strange monster or serpent found in the left ventricle of the heart of John Pennant, Gentleman, of the age of 21 yeares : May, Edward, active 1633-1637 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
serpent heart2.JPG
serpent heart1.JPG

Some fun thoughts here, me thinks.

Oh, and my first post. Hello all.

Mabzynn

Reactions
I saw a video but I have not been able to locate the source material. Apparently it's on Gallica and it's from the 1400's but I've spent a day and just can't find it. I wish i was able to provide it for ya'll.

Youtube link:

Can you imagine what cavalry charges use to actually look like with this?

whitewave

Reactions
So I'm thinking here about the St. George, worm-knights, dragons (wyrms?), immortality, and the empty sets of armour often carried around in depictions of fasces technology:

View attachment 20607
There are a lot of cultural references about these types of creatures.
1) The Goa'uld symbiotes from Stargate SG1.

2) The Annelids from Men In Black.

3) The trill symbiotes from Star Trek Deep space 9.

4) Graboids from Tremors.

5) Arrakian sandworms from Dune (also associated with lightning).

6) The worm in the Labyrinth.

7) The Flukeman from an X-files episode.

8) Mongolian Death Worm.

9) Ceti eel from Wrath of Khan.

10) Mr. Gray alien parasite from Stephen King's Dreamcatcher.

Oddly, most of those worm creatures depicted in sci-fi and horror movies are parasitic or symbiotic creatures that control the behavior of humans. It's almost like they're trying to tell us something.

Declassified files say that NASA admits there may be portals/wormholes/stargates where extra dimensional/otherworldly beings traverse to our world.

Attachments

whitewave

Reactions
If all those copper spires on all those roofs from the ancient builders were conducting or collecting atmospheric electricity, it may that fasces were able to harness and/or redirect that electricity to be used as a weapon.

SanPhaedrus

Reactions
Haven't looked too thoroughly as of yet, but I did find this: NOAH'S ARK – Verification of Alien Contact.

In this wild ride, the author posits that these beings are named Nommo and they look like this:

nommo.gif

This is the description given to the worm-creature, found here :

This species will love structure and construction. This is both in physical structures like Noah's Ark or the structure of poetry, music or philosophy. They will build on land, water or in outer space. They are the most magnificient of engineers, and, as such, will be well versed in the physical laws of the universe.

They will leap at a chance to build. While humans pay builders and contractors, they will seek an opportunity to build just for buildings sake. If anyone would build a Dyson sphere, it would be the Artisans.

These aquatic beings will finde great compaibility with the cetaceans (the communicators) just as humans will find cultural compatible with Iargans. While on Earth, they will likely prefer an aquatic domain. In fact the Dogron report that "When the Nommos left they returned to the stars, but the Dogon say they will return and when they do it will be called The Day of the Fish and they will rule from the waters."

They have proven generous with their knowledge to humans most supportive at at to us at a time of crisis, e. g. Noah's Great Flood.
Where does the assumption that they build the arc come from? Apparently, the Epic of Gilgamesh, where they are referred to as 'Utnapishtim (the faraway).

Here is another depiction of the Nommo:

220px-Brooklyn_Museum_1989.51.39_Nommo_Figure_with_Raised_Arms.jpg

(and I just realized it may be time for some form of new thread/thread splicing, hm?)