FBI investigation: secret underground tunnel discovered in Florida

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
There you go... to the “bank”, and from the middle of the paved roadway. What do you think is gonna happen to the tunnel?

secret-underground-tunnel-florida.jpg

What drivers believed to be a large pothole in the middle of the road in Pembroke Pines, Florida, turned out to be a hidden underground tunnel that authorities believe may lead to a nearby bank.
  • "The only thing I've ever seen like this is in the movies. This is truly a unique case here," FBI spokesman Mike Leverock said of the discovery. "It's very small, very claustrophobic." — Mike Leverock
Source: Secret underground tunnel discovered in Florida under investigation by FBI

Above is January, 2019, but what about the ones they discovered in Florida in November, 2018? ... for smuggling Chinese-Cuban prostitutes. Really?

florida_tunnels_1.jpg

- Mysterious tunnels discovered in Florida
- Mysterious tunnels that may have been used discovered in Tampa, Florida | Daily Mail Online

BrokenAgate

Reactions
From the "Mysterious tunnels discovered in Florida" article:

Mormino speculated that the tunnels may have been part of a network that transported Chinese prostitutes from Cuba to the Port of Tampa to Ybor City in the early 1900s, but added that we may never discover their real use. "The tunnels of Ybor City represent one of the great riddles and mysteries," he said.
I guess wild speculation and make-believe are okay in science. Find something you don't understand, just make up a story about it, nobody will care.

WildFire2000

Reactions
I grew up in Tampa, we're told that you can't have a basement, or do much digging in Florida, especially near the Bay Area, due to the water table and how easily it would flood. The idea that there are tunnels in Ybor city that could lead under most of old Tampa is nuts. No one would really think to look.

Ybor city is old, and very close to the Bay. It has lots of really old buildings and had a port at one point, though I'm not sure of the area that is in operation now is the same one as back when.

anadentone

Reactions
reminds me of that ghost show that said that they had built the city over the old city (don't remember why but it was back in the mid to late 1800s....mudflood?) and that was the reason why the "ghosts" were seen with parts of their bodies being/going through the floors. Maybe that cave was part of the old town and thats why the bay area people weren't allowed to build basements.