Fake UFO's, UFO hoaxes

Schism

Reactions
There are so many UFO hoaxes out there. I've seen and/or read of so many in my life, and that was prior to the drone age. I am guilty of creating several UFO hoaxes myself.

I am not advocating that all UFO's are hoaxes. I certainly do not believe that's the case, but...

My dad taught me a trick he had pulled a time or two with his buddies in the mid 60's, and with his help, I upgraded, and duplicated his tricks in the late 80's.

On freezing cold winter nights, I would gather the supplies to build hot air balloons. I built them out of ultra lightweight plastic bagging that a dry cleaner uses to put garments into after the fact. This lightweight material comes on a huge roll, must be cut, and have one end sealed which is generally the top. Imagine a jacket, or a gown in this material, with a coat hanger poking out the top.

Anyway, I'd get about 6-8 feet of this material, which is approximately 3-4 foot in diameter. I would take plastic drinking straws, join them together at the ends, and create an + shape out of them. From there, I would take a soldering iron, and melt 16-24 holes into the straw frame, and insert birthday candles into the holes. Then I would melt that framework to the bottom of the lightweight bag material, and put the candles in place.

The initial light up was a bit challenging without help, but on freezing cold winter nights, we pulled this off several times. Sometimes, we launched as many as a handful of these baloons. The place we did this at was right next a major interstate.

Man, you'd see cars pulling over, and parked on the side of the interstate once those baloons got up there, and took random formations. To this day, I'm certain many people, providing they are alive still, still swear up and down they seen a UFO/s on those cold winter nights.

The baloons eventually reached very high altitudes, high enough to be swept away by the jetstream, heading more less eastward at a high velocity, before they burned out. Many of them made it that far before they went lights out..

I suppose I am guilty of some stolen, altered history, and looking back, I feel sort of bad about that. A classic example of perception deception, and it was pulled off by a teenager.

Ice Nine

Reactions
Shame on you. That reminds me of some friends who one winter sprayed food coloring on the ice sheets on a rock face along a road on the way up to Mt. Rainier. The local newspaper had an article about the unusual colors found in the ice! What could have caused that? Some weird algae or fungus?!

I'm not going to go off on some long winded UFO stories. but I've had 2 Unidentified Flying Object experiences and trustworthy people I know have had sightings too. The key word of course being unidentified. I can't say what it was, but it wasn't anything that I am aware of. I've never seen a plane zig zag around in the stars before.

OP
Schism

Schism

Reactions
I'm not going to go off on some long winded UFO stories. but I've had 2 Unidentified Flying Object experiences and trustworthy people I know have had sightings too. The key word of course being unidentified. I can't say what it was, but it wasn't anything that I am aware of. I've never seen a plane zig zag around in the stars before.
Yea, I could tell some very legit stories too. I was well aware of the phenomenon from a very early age, and surrounded by many that have amazing, and in some cases frightening story's to tell.

National UFO Reporting Center
UFO Stalker

Ice Nine

Reactions
Thanks for the links there have been some recent sightings in my neck of the woods.

I live near Mt. Rainier, it's right out my back door. Made famous by Kevin Arnold's UFO sightings in June 1947, it certainly was not the first UFO sighting, but the first so well publicized encounter.

There is something in our skies and also underwater craft, that's a good word. So could they be interdimensional or just of this Earth but well hidden most of the time. Or from another planet or disc or whatever the hell we live on. Maybe we are in a petri dish on somebody's desk. Or maybe we are like ants to another race and one day a big boot is going to come down and squish us all.

OP
Schism

Schism

Reactions
Thanks for the links there have been some recent sightings in my neck of the woods
No problem, glad to be of some help.

I prefer the national UFO reporting center website for many reasons. I also like the fact that one can narrow down their search by state, or whatever, which I found helpful.

I'm not really a fan of the second link I posted. Perhaps I didn't give it enough time and effort. Maybe someone else will find its strong points. Idk.

Jim Duyer

Reactions
I suppose I am guilty of some stolen, altered history, and looking back, I feel sort of bad about that. A classic example of perception deception, and it was pulled off by a teenager.
So YOU'RE the one.

OP
Schism

Schism

Reactions
So YOU'RE the one.
Ha-ha, IDK. It was in Montana. I'm absolutely certain many people have done similar things. I'm not sure where my dad, and his buddies came up with the idea in the 60's either.

One could actually use helium for lift, and incorporate remote RF electronics, among other relatively cheap electronic devices to turn LED lights on once the baloons reached a desired altitude, etc. I can think of countless ways to pull off similar stunts.

And for the record, we absolutely took fire risk into account. We did this on calm freezing cold winter nights (for the lift factor), with snow on the ground, roofs, etc (for safety). Two birds, one stone. It was in a pretty rural area too.

Jim Duyer

Reactions
Ha-ha, IDK. It was in Montana. I'm absolutely certain many people have done similar things. I'm not sure where my dad, and his buddies came up with the idea in the 60's either.

One could actually use helium for lift, and incorporate remote RF electronics, among other relatively cheap electronic devices to turn LED lights on once the baloons reached a desired altitude, etc. I can think of countless ways to pull off similar stunts.

And for the record, we absolutely took fire risk into account. We did this on calm freezing cold winter nights (for the lift factor), with snow on the ground, roofs, etc (for safety). Two birds, one stone. It was in a pretty rural area too.
Please Please Please.... Next time you do this, attach a tape recorder and speaker to start when it reaches low altitude, with a continuous message - "People of Earth...we have important news....." and nothing else.

OP
Schism

Schism

Reactions
Please Please Please.... Next time you do this, attach a tape recorder and speaker to start when it reaches low altitude, with a continuous message - "People of Earth...we have important news....." and nothing else.
I grew out of doing stuff like this decades ago.

This took place back when I was a teen. In all honesty, the first time around, I think I was more excited to make hot air balloons, no so much about pulling off a UFO hoax. I think my dads original intentions were more innocent too.

The UFO hoax was secondary. Back when I was young, it was really cool to make them, launch them, watch them, etc, and seeing cars pulled over on the interstate watching in aww wasn't expected, specifically the first time around.

But, I'm sure seeing cars pulled over on the interstate was expected after that first time. We weren't just sending up one, or two from there after, we were sending up groups of them 😉

neuroflux

Reactions
I posted this "how to fake UFOs" post on reddit to educate users on how to spot a fake and what questions to ask. Figured it'll go nicely here as well :)

But.... Why...?!
Let me prefix this with I am a "believer" - that is to say, Unidentified Flying Objects do exist. But I require decent evidence to prove they aren't Earthly vehicles, this post is proof that photo evidence isn't always what it seems to be... For the record, this took me less than 10 minutes for the first image and about 10 minutes for the second (the bulk of that is repetition in the steps)...

The point isn't that MY photo editing isn't "convincing", it's the point that the internal data of an image can be scrubbed, but we can look for clues to dicern a fake from a legit photo.

So, what does this entail? Let's get to it!
  1. Find image and add image of ufo (I used this one) to a generic photo
  2. Motion blur said ufo
  3. Lens blur the entire image as a whole
  4. Save at 60% to 75% JPG quality
  5. Re-open and do a tiny lens blur again
  6. Save at 50% to 60% JPG quality
  7. Check levels and curves so that no obvious pixel edges are in existence
  8. Save out at 50% to 60% JPG quality
  9. Run through an EXIF program to remove all of the EXIF data
  10. Open said image in a browser (as if others are looking at it) and zoom in and look about
  11. Repeat steps 3-6 if required.
This is the result. They key is the lack of details and multiple bad compressions:

Another example with a google sourced "alien" image
I did another one with an alien (in the window) instead of a UFO.

The finished image:

and
A zoomed and edited version as if another reddit user has "enhanced" it:
The best thing about this technique is that you can make things look real that aren't... For instance, did you notice that this image of the room that I edited was actually not a real room..?! but a (pretty bad) 3D rendering edited and smudged to look real..!?

An example with a hand drawn alien:

I did another, this time with a progress album - the main difference being that I "drew" this Alien using brushes in Photoshop. You can thank /u/popcan2 and his shitty attitude (last time I posted this) for this one - claiming that I couldn't draw one.. I haven't scrubbed the EXIF data on this one though.
Here's my result

and here's the 16 basic steps I took:
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
Finally.... Here's a fake "enhancement" (as if another user did it) as well.

REMEMBER
  • Question why that photo you saw wasn't the correct aspect ratio
  • Question why there is no original photo
  • Question why the original EXIF tags were wiped
  • Question why the photo has editing tags
  • Question shadows
  • Question reflections
  • Question everything - because otherwise, we're just blindly accepting... Like religion... None of us want that I'm sure.

OP
Schism

Schism

Reactions
I posted this "how to fake UFOs" post on reddit to educate users on how to spot a fake and what questions to ask. Figured it'll go nicely here as well :)

But.... Why...?!
Let me prefix this with I am a "believer" - that is to say, Unidentified Flying Objects do exist. But I require decent evidence to prove they aren't Earthly vehicles, this post is proof that photo evidence isn't always what it seems to be... For the record, this took me less than 10 minutes for the first image and about 10 minutes for the second (the bulk of that is repetition in the steps)...

The point isn't that MY photo editing isn't "convincing", it's the point that the internal data of an image can be scrubbed, but we can look for clues to dicern a fake from a legit photo.

So, what does this entail? Let's get to it!
  1. Find image and add image of ufo (I used this one) to a generic photo
  2. Motion blur said ufo
  3. Lens blur the entire image as a whole
  4. Save at 60% to 75% JPG quality
  5. Re-open and do a tiny lens blur again
  6. Save at 50% to 60% JPG quality
  7. Check levels and curves so that no obvious pixel edges are in existence
  8. Save out at 50% to 60% JPG quality
  9. Run through an EXIF program to remove all of the EXIF data
  10. Open said image in a browser (as if others are looking at it) and zoom in and look about
  11. Repeat steps 3-6 if required.
This is the result. They key is the lack of details and multiple bad compressions:

Another example with a google sourced "alien" image
I did another one with an alien (in the window) instead of a UFO.

The finished image:

and
A zoomed and edited version as if another reddit user has "enhanced" it:
The best thing about this technique is that you can make things look real that aren't... For instance, did you notice that this image of the room that I edited was actually not a real room..?! but a (pretty bad) 3D rendering edited and smudged to look real..!?

An example with a hand drawn alien:

I did another, this time with a progress album - the main difference being that I "drew" this Alien using brushes in Photoshop. You can thank /u/popcan2 and his shitty attitude (last time I posted this) for this one - claiming that I couldn't draw one.. I haven't scrubbed the EXIF data on this one though.
Here's my result

and here's the 16 basic steps I took:
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
Finally.... Here's a fake "enhancement" (as if another user did it) as well.

REMEMBER
  • Question why that photo you saw wasn't the correct aspect ratio
  • Question why there is no original photo
  • Question why the original EXIF tags were wiped
  • Question why the photo has editing tags
  • Question shadows
  • Question reflections
  • Question everything - because otherwise, we're just blindly accepting... Like religion... None of us want that I'm sure.
I noticed your nearly identically titled thread was merged with this one, which is perfectly fine by me. Thats what I created this thread for. UFO fakery, UFO hoaxes, related content, etc. Thanks for your input.

I hear you about all of that stuff, and I should've mentioned what I'm going to say next in my OP, as It has everything to do with why I created this thread.

A member posted an incredibly CGI picture of a "black triangle" about a week ago, and I recently got off on a side tangent in another thread regarding all the fakery, etc that I've been seeing all over the place since I was young, let alone what's came out since the computer era (CGI), photoshop, adobe, digital cameras both still, and video, to YT channels that post this stuff, and alike, it's quite amazing what people are buying into as any sort of truth/fact.

Even natural, and unnatural glitches in digital photography equipment, and/or equivalent devices end up being pushed on the public as something unrelated to a glitch. Instead, it's pushed with a captivating narrative, and as OMG real. Believe me, funded, and non-funded YT channels, and alike, take full advantage of the stuff I'm talking about. What I'm saying doesn't mean that I think all these people have some sort of malicious intent. Whatever the case, it's happening.

There are to many psy-ops out there to, and that's been going on for decades. There are more, and more every year, thus it's getting harder, and harder for the mass majority to know what's real, and what's not, and that mass majority includes myself. That kind of stuff really effs with people's heads, and IMO, it's intentional, and has an undeniable purpose.

There was a psy-op embedded into the X-files series, "I Want to Believe", and that was just one of many in that series alone.

Fake UFO's, UFO hoaxes, and such, it's a very deep topic 😉

EDIT: BTW, if someone had taken pictures with a 35mm camera of the hot air balloons I spoke of earlier in this thread, there's no doubt in my mind that those pictures would've ended up in the "unexplainable" pile.

Last edited: