Evolution of the Capitol Building, Washington DC

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
I know someone who has worked on that dome as a carpenter when he was much younger. Ill see what he can tell me about it. Probably wont get a chance for a while, but I will be sure I do, next I see him.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Read everything twice and still not sure what it gives us as far as time frames go. Staff is truly fascinating, for the sources are claimed to be authentic, but yet contradict each other.

So this is kind of like facts I guess, because we do not appear to know what the facts are. Anyways, here are a few additional images to add to the confusion.
Capitol Dome Construction
Source: The Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.

Capitol Dome Construction 1861.jpg

Harper's Weekly
December 15, 1860
1860_December_15.jpg

Harper's Weekly
November 15, 1862

Harpers1862.jpg

Harper's Weekly ,

March 9, 1861
Interior-New-Dome-Capitol-Building-Washington-1861-antique.jpg

Essentially, at least based on one photograph and 3 Harper's Weekly (HW) pages we have:
  • HW - 1860 - Dome is complete with the Statue
  • Photo - 1861 - Dome is not finished
  • HW - 1861 - Dome is complete and frescoes are done
  • HW - 1862 - Dome is not finished
So, which one is it, and how is it possible?

jd755

Reactions
It just get weirder.
From here Who Designed and Built the U.S. Capitol Building?

Work on the building began in 1793 in September with a parade. George Washington led a small company of artillerymen across the Potomac River and up to Jenkins’ Hill. Along the route, they were joined by Freemasons from Maryland and Virginia.

Ha. bloody masons again. They are as common to the tales of history as the Roman Catholics. Are they the same thing or are they each others competition in their game of divide and control?
If you think I'm losing it then read on.

An engraved dedication plaque was placed at the southeast corner of the foundation, and George Washington ceremonially lowered the cornerstone onto it. Four Masons then consecrated the stone.

Gotta love the power of religion. Masonic wedding, baptism, funeral anyone after all they all their buildings temples!

The first section to be completed was the North Wing in 1800.

A new architect, Benjamin Henry Latrobe, took over in 1804. He was the first “Architect of the Capitol” to actually be a professional architect. He completed the South Wing and made some renovations to the North Wing.

But funding was cut off in preparation for the War of 1812, and Latrobe left the project without starting work on that central building.

In 1818, Charles Bulfinch came in to complete the building, and the work was finally finished in 1829.

By 1829 the two wings were joined together into a single building complete with the wood and copper small dome affair.

One more expansion was made in the 1850s, necessitated by the growth of the nation. With expansion across the North American continent, there were more states and more territories that would become states. The number of senators and representatives was growing. So, new, larger, House and Senate Chambers were added. This expansion doubled the size of the building. Suddenly, the small copper dome that Bulfinch had placed on top of the central building really looked rather small.
So, between 1855 and 1863, the Capitol’s most famous feature was added: that tall, white, colonnaded dome topped by a bronze Statue of Freedom.

Written in March this year by a professor no less and he rather glosses over the two additional wings doesn't he.
And still no images, yet, of the construction process.

BStankman

Reactions
Log cabin people built this place.
It was easy because they had a lot of slaves that were expert builders.
The Temple of Justice and Faith: The Capitol's East and West Porticoes and Dome - Temple of Liberty: Building the Capitol for a New Nation | Exhibitions - Library of Congress

In 1824 there was still a big mound of dirt in front of it. Probably from digging out the buried floors.
People still wore togas and there were 48 states.

Putting our letting on these places always looks sophomoric.

Capitol Architects has some flickr albums
Historic Images

Last edited:

AnthroposRex

Reactions
Take a close look at the two gentlemen in the screenshot I’ve attached. The window mullion vertically penetrates the man on the left’s shoulder. The limestone lines horizontally penetrate the guy next to him like he is a complete ghost. Original photo here:
The Restoration of the United States Capitol Dome
Tampering?
It looks like a double exposure.

I know this picture is before Polaroids and all, (probably), but I have had a Polaroid do the exact same thing with making people transparent. I could see the tile pattern on the kitchen counter through my friends dad, who looked ghostly.
So there is a faint possibility it's real.

But added to all the other obvious fuckery, I don't think the benefit of the doubt should be extended ever again regarding the narrative of history.

jd755

Reactions
Here's a crop of the 'original' on the Library of Congress site. Scaled up 200%.

3b32800r.jpg

Before moving on can I just say I'm fed up with wandering around government online photo libraries. The bloody things dominate searches on all search engines one is beginning to feel its deliberate as all search engines run algorithms and who designs and controls them controls everything,

Anyway here's the latest 'discovery'
From here; Search Results: "lot 12251 capitol" - Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (Library of Congress)

Some of theses are titled in the album they come from others are titled by 'museum staff'.
First up said to be dated 1859 Capitol construction, east front looking north, dome in progress.
3b32793r.jpg

Next from 1859 October 26 Perspective, east front, looking south.
3b32796r.jpg

From 1859 November 8 North wing, east front. Traversing crane for construction of connecting corridors.
3b32795r.jpg

From 1865 August 31 Capitol exterior, north portico, east front.
3b32841r.jpg

And from here https://blogs.loc.gov/picturethis/2016/05/under-construction-the-u-s-capitol/
Construction of Senate wing of the U.S. Capitol, west front], Photo, between 1860 and 1865
3b39203u-762x1024.jpg

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Nice last photo. I have this feeling we are not being shown what they really used for transportation. Horses do not jive with this tech.

By the way, here is an official quote:
  • In general, however, the project progressed rapidly: the House of Representatives was able to meet in its new chamber on December 16, 1857, and the Senate first met in its present chamber on January 4, 1859.
Funny how the government was meeting in the “under construction” building in 1860, after it was “drawn from nature” in its completed state in 1852.

That same government which did not have leave a single picture of it being in session.

jd755

Reactions
Not happy with horses, have some oxen.
1850 June 15.
Photograph showing a 14 ton column being transported on a six wheel wagon drawn by oxen for an addition to the Capitol.
3b32794r.jpg

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
By the way, how tall are those guys on the stairs, and by the street light in the last photograph of post #28. On my phone right now. Do we have any today’s pictures to reference their size?

4DE9C356-7A1D-469F-9EE7-9A9E03D2ED52.jpeg

Here is from a different photograph of the same area.

1C613B43-E586-4D94-8041-00CC45A54719.jpeg

It reminds me one of those street cars being pulled by horses.

jd755

Reactions
I'm too jaded to look but is that column being raised Lincolns column from the image up above if so there's reference for the silhouettes. Crap quality photo isn't it.
I may have mentioned freemasons and catholics up above being one and the same or each others 'enemy', well bugger me here's the connection, we really are being played by these people.
From here D.C.'s 'dome-icile' and duckduckgo searches for 'the name' plus 'freemason'.

Dr William Thornton was a Freemason The Architect | Tudor Place
In 1808, the Martha and Thomas Peter commissioned architectural drawings from Dr. William Thornton (1759-1828) -- a friend and Masonic brother of George Washington -- for the home they would call Tudor Place.

I wonder why he got the gig.
Moving on to the 'big dome' architect Thomas Ustick Walter .
Scratch that From here; The Masonic Symbolism of the U.S. Capitol

The United States Capitol, at Washington, D.C., was the creation of a succession of architects who were almost all Freemasons. Originally designed by William Thornton (1759-1828), the work was completed by Brother Benjamin Latrobe (a pupil of the English architect Samuel Pepys Cockerell, 1754-1827) who also redesigned it after the War of 1812. The flanking wings and the great dome were added later by Brother Thomas Ustick Walter.

So Brother Walter got his design from Christopher Wren who was also a Freemason CHRISTOPHER WREN | FREEMASONRY
St_Pauls_aerial by Mark Fosh.jpg

Who got it from a Basilica in Rome.
Basilica of St. Peter's in Rome by Wolfgang Stuck.jpg

jd755

Reactions
Common as muck really. St Petersburg has one as well. Old world order/new world order, the same thing it seems.
Downloaded a tif file for that raising of the monolith with the see through people its mahoosive. Gimp can only handle 8 bit tifs and its a 16 bit but nevertheless it auto converts but loses some detail and lookey here what do you make of this.
At 100% image size with nothing altered.
3b32800u.png

AnthroposRex

Reactions
Here's a crop of the 'original' on the Library of Congress site. Scaled up 200%.

Before moving on can I just say I'm fed up with wandering around government online photo libraries. The bloody things dominate searches on all search engines one is beginning to feel its deliberate as all search engines run algorithms and who designs and controls them controls everything,

Anyway here's the latest 'discovery'
From here; Search Results: "lot 12251 capitol" - Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (Library of Congress)

Some of theses are titled in the album they come from others are titled by 'museum staff'.
First up said to be dated 1859 Capitol construction, east front looking north, dome in progress.

Next from 1859 October 26 Perspective, east front, looking south.

From 1859 November 8 North wing, east front. Traversing crane for construction of connecting corridors.

From 1865 August 31 Capitol exterior, north portico, east front.
And from here Under Construction: The U.S. Capitol | Picture This: Library of Congress Prints & Photos
Construction of Senate wing of the U.S. Capitol, west front], Photo, between 1860 and 1865
The bleached out sky on these photos followed by the vagueness of the capitol dome in the one shot looks like someone matted out the sky, then double exposed the capitol dome. Neither look entirely untouched. Although I am no photographic expert, I do have 25 years of experience with photoshop. If we accept the normal excuses, cameras were shit and people couldn't use them well at first. I'm not so sure tho.

Some of these photos feel odd at times. Like they are photos from the time it was built, but that was before the shift. Then strangers moved in, took all the photo albums, and said it was their history. Like a 500 year con game.

whitewave

Reactions
1850 June 15.
Photograph showing a 14 ton column being transported on a six wheel wagon drawn by oxen for an addition to the Capitol.
I'm always curious how they managed to pick up a 14 ton column and especially how they managed to deposit it onto the wooden wagon without breaking the wagon. Same as the pyramids were supposedly built by dropping (in that case) 60 ton blocks onto wooden sledges which, I would think, would immediately turn into wooden splinters. Don't suppose they mentioned how this column was lifted or how many people or what type of machinery was used to lift it? Oxen would make more sense than using horses for something that heavy.

RecycledSoul

Reactions
Again, more possible “fuckery” (That made me giggle earlier when I read it). Why are the horizontal lines of the steps visible through these ghosts? (Screenshot attached again) Pretty much same as my last post. In my first post regarding this, please note the difference in neck ties and top hats between the two fellas standing side by side.
I do understand that early cameras were shit compared to today’s standards, but I dont recall ever hearing of cases where people are translucent.

Attachments

Red Bird

Reactions
I'm always curious how they managed to pick up a 14 ton column and especially how they managed to deposit it onto the wooden wagon without breaking the wagon. Same as the pyramids were supposedly built by dropping (in that case) 60 ton blocks onto wooden sledges which, I would think, would immediately turn into wooden splinters. Don't suppose they mentioned how this column was lifted or how many people or what type of machinery was used to lift it? Oxen would make more sense than using horses for something that heavy.
My husband LOVES figuring out how to move heavy things on his own. I can move anything 🙃 However this always takes quite a bit longer than we seem to account for here.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
It sure does appear like we are looking at photographs of the same objects, but the photographs are separated by an unknown number of years. Yet, we are being told that time frame is the same.

jd755

Reactions
I am no photographic expert, I do have 25 years of experience with photoshop.
Photoshop can handle 16 bit tifs. You could do the same crop as I did and post it in here to see bit more detail.

I'm always curious how they managed to pick up a 14 ton column and especially how they managed to deposit it onto the wooden wagon without breaking the wagon.
Don't suppose they mentioned how this column was lifted or how many people or what type of machinery was used to lift it?
No the site doesn't. There is another couple of pictures in that album which may throw some more light on it but my guess is its' rolled or blocked up and isn't lifted until its final placement as we see in the column lifting photo by crane using steam, pulley blocks and hemp rope.
I do understand that early cameras were shit compared to today’s standards, but I dont recall ever hearing of cases where people are translucent.
Not shit at all the cameras of the day. The recording medium was the problem it seems from peering at many images from the time. Any with sky in them have featureless skies and the poses of the people look very rigid and they all look miserable and detail is there but sort of fuzzy.
6caccc679f88227fb328cece666459d9--signal-corp.jpg

Those without sky are much more detailed, the people though still posing do not look as miserable.
7b79e48c32156eb46ffbdfd455b3372f.jpg

The translucency seems to appear when the thing that's translucent moves. Doesn't matter what the thing is, people, grass, trees, horse, flags, washing etc if the move during the exposure they appear as differing degrees of translucency.
Where I think we go wrong is assuming that things didn't change much back then unlike today where we are quite deliberately conditioned into buying already obsolete tech and pretend its 'brand new' almost on a daily basis, back then I'd lay odds as photographers the people using the cameras and preparing the glass plates would be actively seeking a process or combination of chemicals on the plates to reduce the exposure enough to capture movement better. They wouldn't just sit there saying 'this is shit but there's nothing I can do I'll just have to wait for the corporation to market a better one' so too speak.
However I reckon the reason why all these photographs are held in government institutions is to deliver a narrative of 'older equals primitive' the thing that drives its golden goose, the consumer society.
I also reckon the exposure problem was actually solved multiple times by multiple photographers but their work is or was snapped up back in the day by the same thing, government and the processes were 'forgottened' or just as likely made a 'state secret' (today called black project) and used exclusively by government for its own nefarious purposes.
Either way I feel these photographs we get access to are 'bottom of the pile' images.
Post automatically merged:

Here's those pictures.
An odd inclusion to me, this first one but it shows the level of skill in machinery production they had.
Date: between 1859 and 1878 9 feet engine lathe
3a01230r.jpg

Here's a stone column getting its fluting on site. Pity it isn't clearer.
Date: 1860 Working the monoliths
3b32799v.jpg

Last edited: