Etymology of Tartaria

Jim Duyer

Reactions
Which I do like as it confirms my feeling that Tartary is a derogatory term for heathens those without god, god being the religious weirdy beardy man in the sky god.
as evidenced by this map https://www.stolenhistory.org/attachments/l-jpg.18207/
On this thread Tartar or Tatar?

The sad truth, according to my twelve years of researching the topic, is that more history, culture, and civilizations have been destroyed or erased by Christian religious followers, and especially the Catholics and Anglicans, than any actions of war that have ever occurred. It's amazing how anyone who claims to follow the words in the New Testament can be so mean and cruel.

whitewave

Reactions
Corporate Catholicism and the daughters of the harlot (protestant denominations) are not the same as Christ-ian (out of/from Christ). Religion as defined by the bible: "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." (james 1:27) No mention of coveting your neighbors stuff and then killing them for it or killing them to save them from their "heathen ways" or differing opinions in order to practice your religion. Not sure where or when corporate religion jumped the track but, boy howdy, did they! As I recall from my readings of the bible, Christ didn't care much for religiosity or churchianity either.

I'm not called to be God's lawyer; I figure he can defend Himself better anyway. He called me out from all that is not Him and unto Himself- that's the extent of my religion. History would be much different if those professing religion would actually read their holy books.

tupperaware

Reactions
Been brainstorming a little about the etymology of Tartaria, thought I'd make a post in case anybody is interested (or has any better ideas).

My first line of thought was separating it into tart and aria. Tart can trace back to the meaning "split", and aria could be Arya, the old name for Indo-Iran. This is interesting, because Tartaria was commonly portrayed as having multiple territories, and for some reason (probably obfuscation) a bunch of old Tartarian things have been retroactively shifted to the Middle East and Mediterranean regions. Tartaria could be "Split Arya", or the empire/multiple territories of Arya.

Of course I also thought to look up the proposed etymology of "tartar", but it didn't really lead anywhere helpful, unless we're expected to believe a great and renowned empire was named "Dregs" lol

Then I thought, "but wait, Tartaria has a name in Chinese, and Chinese Tartary was totally a thing! The Chinese name is probably important too!"

...And after looking around for a while, I've begun to think that the characters that make up 韃靼 (Dada) may have been created specially for the name of the country, because they don't seem to trace back to anything before that meaning.

But! We can still break them down into their parts and see if anything interesting comes out! Let's see... 韃 breaks down into parts most likely meaning "leather all over", "leather influential", or "leather philosophical", and 靼 breaks down into parts meaning "leather dawn"...

Looking into it, it seems the Tartars were known for wearing a lot of leather, so the Chinese name may basically just be "smart/influential people who wear a lot of leather" :LOL:

Some other connections.
Tanning Tutorial: Turn Your Critter Hides Into Workable Leather cream of tartar used in leather making and cleaning leather.

Scythians wore lots of leather.

Scythians could have been turkic and not indo-european. Why are the Scythians considered to have been Indo-European as opposed to Turkic or Proto-Turkic? - Quora

Present day Tatars are turkic Tatars - Wikipedia