Erie County Savings Bank - Chronicling Destruction

OP
trismegistus

trismegistus

Reactions
RE: "Granite stones WEIGHING 3 tons" As with the pyramids in Egypt, buildings in Peru, etc who/what is lifting stones that weigh this much?
If there is any information at all (there isn't as far as I can find) it will likely say they used horses or some other implausible low technology. How many horses do you need to lift a 3 ton stone nine stories straight up?

overview-1-555x416.jpg

In modern days, this is the minimum type of equipment needed to move 3 ton stones, even then it doesn't look like this type of free-standing crane can cover nine stories. Really hard to imagine what kind of tech they had in 1890 to accomplish a similar task.

I did some digging and came across this site with a link to a few PDFs about the building itself.

erie1.PNG

Well if they didn't take the original tracings out of the building before demolition looks like we will never see the original plans (no surprise there). C.M. Morse reveals no search hits, either.

CurvedBullet

Reactions
If there is any information at all (there isn't as far as I can find) it will likely say they used horses or some other implausible low technology. How many horses do you need to lift a 3 ton stone nine stories straight up?

In modern days, this is the minimum type of equipment needed to move 3 ton stones, even then it doesn't look like this type of free-standing crane can cover nine stories. Really hard to imagine what kind of tech they had in 1890 to accomplish a similar task.

I did some digging and came across this site with a link to a few PDFs about the building itself.

Well if they didn't take the original tracings out of the building before demolition looks like we will never see the original plans (no surprise there). C.M. Morse reveals no search hits, either.
Yep, no surprise there. I just subscribed to newspapers.com for other research I'm doing on Oakland and I'll input some of these names and see what comes up.