Drexel Building, The Corner, 23 Wall Street, NY

OP
Timeshifter

Timeshifter

Reactions
When you consider quotes like this

'By 1900, electric cars were so popular that New York City had a fleet of electric taxis, and electric cars accounted for a third of all vehicles on the road.'

Souce

also, '1900: The electric automobile is in its heyday. Of the 4,192 cars produced in the United States 28 percent are powered by electricity, and electric autos represent about one-third of all cars found on the roads of New York City, Boston, and Chicago'

Source

Granted, not a lot of cars compared to now, but I would have thought that cars, particularly taxis would be frequenting Wall Street? At least more than one Delivery Wagon?

Where are all the cars, and motor bicycles? 100,000 in the USA?

'For the 1915 model year the Ford Motor Company alone turned out over 300,000 cars, while the entire United States motorcycle industry produced about 100,000 machines'

Source

Last edited:

CitizenShip

Reactions
No one on cycles neither, i bet even back then the best way to get around the city is on a bike but i think most say it was because of the quality of the roads compared to Europe.

jd755

Reactions
Broad street market 1910. No cars unless there are a few taxis in that line in the left background so the only wheels belong to horse drawn vehicles.

From here: source
SHORPY-4a18572a.jpg

OP
Timeshifter

Timeshifter

Reactions
New york, 1912, this is more of what I would expect of broad street...

1900s-1912-policeman-and-traffic-semaphore-on-fifth-avenue-and-48th.jpg

jd755

Reactions
Two streets, same city a year apart in time.

Fifth Avenue 51st Street 1913
Fifth-Avenue-51st-Street-1913.jpg

107th Street just east of 3rd Avenue, February 1912
third-avenue.jpg

OP
Timeshifter

Timeshifter

Reactions
I still cannot locate any destruction, construction photos, or plans of any of these 3 buildings on this plot!

perhaps I am just crap at searching!

jd755

Reactions
Thinking about what's missing from a common sense angle the latter two buildings on that site were banks so if there was a strongroom in the basement the last thing the bank owners would want knocking about is plans and pictures of the thing.
Also if you are a bank owner you know money isn't real, has no real value, but you would have to keep the scam under your hat but front and centre for the 'customers' so over egging the strength of the building with vaults, strongrooms, thick walls deep foundations etc would be perfect propaganda. Just my take on it.

Did find a floor plan of the last bank. From here; J.P. Morgan & Company
Originally from Architecture, 1914.
Morgan 9.png

Last edited:
OP
Timeshifter

Timeshifter

Reactions
Thinking about what's missing from a common sense angle the latter two buildings on that site were banks so if there was a strongroom in the basement the last thing the bank owners would want knocking about is plans and pictures of the thing.
Also if you are a bank owner you know money isn't real, has no real value, but you would have to keep the scam under your hat but front and centre for the 'customers' so over egging the strength of the building with vaults, strongrooms, thick walls deep foundations etc would be perfect propaganda. Just my take on it.

Did find a floor plan of the last bank. From here; J.P. Morgan & Company
Originally from Architecture, 1914.
Agree re internal plans, but no photos of previous destruction (store or old bank) and nothing of the new outer structure? I don't buy it, especially JP Morgan et al. They would be bragging, it be splashed all over the papers surely?

jd755

Reactions
By picture I meant photographs of the last bank erected especially its foundations. I don't trust any published tales of what Morgan was or wasn't like.
Here's three of the cleared site found on tumblr and flickr.
tumblr_nxb63tiKxJ1sdzmuoo2_r1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nxb63tiKxJ1sdzmuoo3_r1_1280.jpg
4546006644_103b4c14ff_z.jpg

jd755

Reactions
Why wouldn't they be using horse and carts to carry spoil away?
There were clearly more horses and carts around than gasoline trucks so to me it makes sense to use them. There are at least two cars in the last photo.

anadentone

Reactions
What bothers me is that , in a big city like New York (which had a crap load of ppl even back then) most of their photos are devoid of people or they'd have a few business men in it. No kid is selling newspapers on wall street? All these adults yet no children or shorter/younger looking males? Also this is supposedly 1871.....where is everybody?

1871-23-wall-arc2565.jpg

Last edited:

JWW427

Reactions
The demolition of magnificent buildings for drab monoliths may be more than just "modernization." It may be the purposeful destruction of the human soul using architecture as a weapon. Look at the soulless Albert Speer buildings in Germany he made for Hitler. The Morgan monolith looks like a Speer special.
JWW

speer building.jpeg