Divide and Conquer, Divide and Rule

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
"Divide and rule (or divide and conquer) in politics and sociology is gaining and maintaining power by breaking up larger concentrations of power into pieces that individually have less power than the one implementing the strategy. The concept refers to a strategy that breaks up existing power structures, and especially prevents smaller power groups from linking up, causing rivalries and fomenting discord among the people." - finally Wikipedia is telling us the truth.

And it continues, "The use of this technique is meant to empower the sovereign to control subjects, populations, or factions of different interests, who collectively might be able to oppose his rule. Machiavelli identifies a similar application to military strategy, advising that a Captain should endeavor with every art to divide the forces of the enemy, either by making him suspicious of his men in whom he trusted, or by giving him cause that he has to separate his forces, and, because of this, become weaker."

Tradition attributes the origin of the motto to Philip II of Macedonia. Essentially, it means that we have no clue who initially said it. The below bust allegedly depicts Philip II. I tried to google out when it was actually located, but failed miserably. There are like three or four busts attributed to Philip. One of those was discovered in the Royal Tomb II at Vergina. You guessed it, in 1977. If somebody can figure out when the below bust was located, it would be awesome. I bet it's gonna be like 1912, 1883 or something like that. The bust is located at Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek.

Bust of Philip.
Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek.

Filip_II_Macedonia.jpg

Divide and Rule

divide-and-rule-the-politician-cries-unite-and-lead-is-watchword-of-the-wise.jpg

Of course it's possible to further break it down into who hates who, i.e. wars, sanctions, political view disagreements, financial inequality, immigration, and other issues, but you can fill in the blanks yourself.

KD: It appears to work for them...

whitewave

I bring this up every election: we are literally fighting over who gets to be the slave master. Right/left, Republican/Democrat, male/female, young/old, gay/straight, black/white, Catholic/Protestant, rich/poor-all are just various ways to divide us so that we never turn our attention to the puppet master(s) instigating all these imagined sleights. Keep us fighting among ourselves and we won't be tempted to fight against our controllers. Seems to be working very well, even with the ploy pointed out; even when people agree with you, they still allow themselves to be divided and argue about matters of no importance. I weep for humanity.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
kd,
yours is from anatolia it says. maybe it is the original in reality.
I don't know. Wikipedia says it is stored in Denmark, Copenhagen. Not sure where I got the 1st century part. It was late last night, may be misread something. :) Will remove 1st century there. Appreciate the correction.

A lot of them could hypothetically be the originals. I'm yet to find one though. Still would be interesting to figure out the date when it was located. May be it says so at the actual museum.

philip_2_ denmark.png

parta

I don't know. Wikipedia says it is stored in Denmark, Copenhagen. Not sure where I got the 1st century part. It was late last night, may be misread something. :) Will remove 1st century there. Appreciate the correction.

A lot of them could hypothetically be the originals. I'm yet to find one though. Still would be interesting to figure out the date when it was located. May be it says so at the actual museum.

would anyone admit to having the original. romans don`t seem to want anything back do they.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I was talking about the date when it was located, not its authenticity, or who made it.

LOL.:ROFLMAO: Should have never included that bust in the thread. Draws away from the topic.

parta

so how do you bring the hindus, the moslems, the chistians, the jews, the zoroastrians, the druids, the atheists, the scientists and the uninterested/unaligned back together again? it has to be something physical that everyone can touch especially for the scientists and uninterested. needs to show how important islam is because they demand that... and everyone must see their point and agree with it enough to prevent chaos. oi.

whitewave

Finished reading an online book yesterday from the era of the immediate post Napoleonic era concerning the goings on of the Vienna Congress (1814) in which the world leaders came together to discuss how to put the various countries back together after Napoleons exile (and subsequent escape from Elba island). It was long but gave an interesting first person glimpse into the thinking and common issues of the day including all the political intrigue of how the "divide and conquer" actually takes place. There were a lot of tidbits not taught in history class, usually mentioned in the narrative as an aside to the main point of the story. You might find some of the answers there.
Recollections of the Congress of Vienna, by Auguste Louis Charles

asatiger1966

I bring this up every election: we are literally fighting over who gets to be the slave master. Right/left, Republican/Democrat, male/female, young/old, gay/straight, black/white, Catholic/Protestant, rich/poor-all are just various ways to divide us so that we never turn our attention to the puppet master(s) instigating all these imagined sleights. Keep us fighting among ourselves and we won't be tempted to fight against our controllers. Seems to be working very well, even with the ploy pointed out; even when people agree with you, they still allow themselves to be divided and argue about matters of no importance. I weep for humanity.
Over a short period of time man was separated from his original spiritual senses and replaced it with a material world view. That left man with no ability to sense danger, shame, love, pain. No common sense, lack of logic and a feeling of loneliness. So the answer is of a spiritual nature not a physical one. My opinion could be wrong.

dreamtime

Maybe the topic fits this thread:

I think after destroying wealth and freedom in Europe, the next project is to target the rich Arabian countries:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I think the general idea at the moment is to keep oil below a certain level. Until recently some Arabian countries have lived a life similar to the old kingdoms; enourmous riches, no taxes and almost no work. Saudi-Arabia introduced taxes only in 2017, and it's sending shock waves. People have to think about actual work for the first time in generations. I wonder when the last king in the world will be dethroned.

I think the Middle East is one of the last places on earth with some real connection to the old way of life (religion, big families, monarchists, and hedonism), even though it's mostly hedonistic nowadays and maybe lacks some of the old spiritual roots.

All the invented conflicts in the Middle East have brought many countries down already.

It's interesting how many monarchies still exist on paper, while the political affairs are basically run by parliaments or a democracy: List of current sovereign monarchs - Wikipedia

List of current monarchies - Wikipedia

There are basically 6 absolute monarchies left:

Vatican City State
Brunei Darussalam
Sultanate of Oman
Kingdom of Eswatini
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates

I think the goal for the 21st century is to eliminate this kind of governance entirely.

Tonep

Have you seen this symbology?

i never put this 2 and 2 together, good one!
Post automatically merged:

Over a short period of time man was separated from his original spiritual senses and replaced it with a material world view. That left man with no ability to sense danger, shame, love, pain. No common sense, lack of logic and a feeling of loneliness. So the answer is of a spiritual nature not a physical one. My opinion could be wrong.
i like to say there are 4 parts to a person's life. spiritual, mental, emotional and physical. some people dwell on either 1 or 4 of these, sometimes 2 or 3 but as a whole we have been trained to ignore the spiritual or diverted to some washed-out version of spirituality. without balance between them a person's life is hindered.