Dinosaurs on the 1562 painting of Pieter Bruegel the Elder

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Featured Thread #1
Dinosaurs are a diverse group of reptiles of the clade Dinosauria. They first appeared during the Triassic period, between 243 and 231 million years ago, although the exact origin and timing of the evolution of dinosaurs is the subject of active research. They became the dominant terrestrial vertebrates after the Triassic–Jurassic extinction event 201 million years ago; their dominance continued through the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. The fossil record indicates that birds are modern feathered dinosaurs, having evolved from earlier theropods during the late Jurassic Period. As such, birds were the only dinosaur lineage to survive the Cretaceous – Paleogene extinction event 66 million years ago.

Since the first dinosaur fossils were recognized in the early 19th century, mounted fossil dinosaur skeletons have been major attractions at museums around the world, and dinosaurs have become an enduring part of world culture. Source: Wikipedia.

While it is clear that Wikipedia is not a scientific source of facts, some of this information is common knowledge. We all know (we were taught) that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago.

It wasn't until 1841 that British scientist Richard Owen came to realize that such fossils were distinct from the teeth or bones of any living creature. The ancient animals were so different, in fact, that they deserved their own name. So Owen dubbed the group "Dinosauria," which means "terrible lizards." Source: Scholastic. Other sources suggest 1824 as the year we learned of this magnificent creatures of the past. William Buckland would the one to thank.
I would like to attract your attention to an oil-on-panel by the Netherlandish Renaissance artist Pieter Bruegel the Elder, painted in 1562. It is currently held and exhibited at the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna. The name of this masterpiece is The Suicide by Saul.

dinozavry-na-kartinah.jpg

dinozavry-na-kartinah-1.jpg

Those do not look like camels or elephants.

dinozavry-na-kartinah-2.jpg

So what do we have? A 1562 painting which is not being claimed to be fake. Three dinosaur-like creatures are present. We have people around them, and riders on top. Our contemporary civilization was introduced to dinosaurs in the beginning of the 19th century. Could this be that Pieter Bruegel was an eyewitness of the dinosaurs still walking this planet?

Conspira-C

I think these depictions may be of a giraffe; illustrated by someone who never actually saw a giraffe.

This is a description of a giraffe provided by Dio in ~46 BC. If I were to solely rely on this written account, I might have painted something similar:

"I will give an account of the so-called camelopard, because it was then introduced into Rome by Caesar for the first time and exhibited to all. This animal is like a camel in all respects except that its legs are not all of the same length, the hind legs being the shorter. Beginning from the rump it grows gradually higher, which gives it the appearance of mounting some elevation; and towering high aloft, it supports the rest of its body on its front legs and lifts its neck in turn to an unusual height. Its skin is spotted like a leopard, and for this reason it bears the joint name of both animals."

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I entertained that possibility when was researching the article. I doubt this is an option for interpretation in this case. There is a good article "Can You Ride A Giraffe?" It's about this young guy who kind of rides a very young giraffe he raised from a baby stage. In general I think this is too big of an animal to ride. Images do not support the size of giraffe either.

Here is that guy from the article with his baby giraffe.

Giraffe-rider_1.jpg Giraffe-rider_2.jpg Giraffe-rider_3.jpg Giraffe-rider_4.jpg

And here is an adult giraffe. He is lucky to not get hurt falling off.

GIRAFFE-MOTORCYCLE.jpg giraffe_man.jpg giraffe_man_car.jpg

We do tend to match what we see with our life experiences. Some time ago I changed my approach and started to trust those people who actually observed an event in question. Than again, it could be some other animal from Joannes Jonstonus's book for example, but it sure does look like a dinosaur.

Falkes

It could be a rare type of animal that died off or one of the theories I have held is what we call dinosaurs lived a lot more recently that we were led to believe and are most likely the same thing as what in history were called dragons. Even in the Bible there is mention of dragons but they seem more like rare oddities more than Hollywood/High-Fantasy novel level monsters. Also the evolution of the origins of words throughout history also seems to confuse a lot of people. In the past they described or painted/drew to the best of what they could. The further back you go the less descriptive words they also had to work with.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Well, I think there is enough circumstantial evidence out there to at least consider that dinos were still roaming 300-400 years ago.

First of all this fossilization process is far from being understood. This cowboy boot with a fossilized leg was made in 1950s.
An alleged fossilized leg in a cowboy boot - "The Limestone Cowboy". I'm pretty sure science is probably screaming hoax on it.

limestone-cowboy.jpg fossilized-human-leg_boot.jpg

Scientists also backpedaled on this sensational discovery - Scientists recover T. rex soft tissue. Otherwise they would have to admit that dinosaurs had to be alive 300 years ago. That would screw everything up. They probably don't know what to do with all the dinosaur images from pre-19th century. But they will keep on staying the course, because the course is not really theirs.

PiotrRasputin

Science admitting it is wrong seems like a big ask. I’m not positive we will get much of that in regards to much of this. Knowledge is power, and power isn’t something people are willing to freely disseminate.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Science admitting it is wrong seems like a big ask. I’m not positive we will get much of that in regards to much of this. Knowledge is power, and power isn’t something people are willing to freely disseminate.
An idea that proteins, and amino acids can make it through at least 65,000,000 years of laying in the dirt is crazy. I do not believe this for a second.

humanoidlord

maybe they are camels or girrafes that where drawn in a simple style due to being in the far background?

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
maybe they are camels or girrafes that where drawn in a simple style due to being in the far background?
They could be squirrels if we want them to be, I think. Or may be the artist depicted what he wanted to saw. There are other objects in the far background as well, yet we do not question them.

humanoidlord

They could be squirrels if we want them to be, I think. Or may be the artist depicted what he wanted to saw. There are other objects in the far background as well, yet we do not question them.
take a look at the background people, they look strange too, almost like leg less ghosts