Diana of Ephesus, or Artemis to the ancient Greeks

jd755

Reactions
Spun out of the foundlings thread so as not to dilute it but cannot find the right home so hence its in general.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons regarding this character.

Breasts or bulls testicles?

Diana of Ephesus: Keeping Abreast with Iconography | Alberti’s Window

In 1978, G. Seiterle came up with a new interpretation. He claimed that these pieces resembling eggs were bull testicles offered to the goddess in religious rituals, as a symbol of fertility. In order to prove his claim, he presented a reconstruction of the statue with testicles hung on it. The resulting sight was identical with the statue!

Excavations at around the altar of the temple also indicated that the bull had a great cultural impact for the Artemis cult. Thus the much-debated academic question was resolved.”

Testicles on a Goddess of Fertility - Ephesian Artemis

Our guide in the Vatican Museum said this ancient goddess of fertility is decorated with bull testicles.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
The origination of this thread can be found here. The main question is who, or what do we have on the left side of the below images?

arms-of-the-foundling-hospital.jpeg

arms-of-the-foundling-hospital-1.jpg

kd_separator.jpg

Those are breasts. TPTB wishes those were bull testicles on her chest.

magna_mater.jpg

Magna Mater aka Great Mother
The Magna Mater was brought to Rome in the year 204 BCE from the Phrygian city of Pessinus in Asia Minor. Although the cult was introduced as a new form of the Phrygian goddess Matar by way of its Greek incarnation, the Cult of Cybele, it was actually a Roman construction of a "foreign" cult. From its first arrival, the Roman cult had a public branch that was established by the state in order to incorporate it into Roman public religion and a private branch that developed separately with its own rituals and modes of worship.

magna_mater_2.jpg

As far as I understand, all of the below individuals (which I think could be either machines or biological labs) are one and the same:
kd_separator.jpg

I consider that this "thing" is not really a person, but rather a genetics machine, or lab. It produced all the living creatures on Earth. That's just a perception it gives me at the moment.

This here is the lab, by the way:
These two could be the employees at the above lab:

Red Bird

Reactions
Spun out of the foundlings thread so as not to dilute it but cannot find the right home so hence its in general.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons regarding this character.

Breasts or bulls testicles?

Diana of Ephesus: Keeping Abreast with Iconography | Alberti’s Window

In 1978, G. Seiterle came up with a new interpretation. He claimed that these pieces resembling eggs were bull testicles offered to the goddess in religious rituals, as a symbol of fertility. In order to prove his claim, he presented a reconstruction of the statue with testicles hung on it. The resulting sight was identical with the statue!

Excavations at around the altar of the temple also indicated that the bull had a great cultural impact for the Artemis cult. Thus the much-debated academic question was resolved.”

Testicles on a Goddess of Fertility - Ephesian Artemis

Our guide in the Vatican Museum said this ancient goddess of fertility is decorated with bull testicles.
Well that leads us back to the more recent god Mithras (bull god), who just happened (so they say) to become popular at the beginning of the Catholic Church. I’ve wondered how that fit in.

These gods, and their followers, were always involved in ritual sex (and blood) for sure. However I think perhaps they were trying to recreate fallen angel breeds as before, not regular people.

maco144

Reactions
C&P from this link
"Upis, Great Goddess of Lydia, better known as Artemis Ephesia "
"However, in 1987 archaeologists excavated a cache of amber pendants, many in the same shape as the pectoral of Artemis Ephesia, in the spot where the early statue of the goddess stood in the 8th century temple. This find disproves the bull-testicle theory. The position of the pendants on the statue is consonant with the idea of multiple breasts, which various ancient authors show was current in their time. The symbolism is multivalent, however, as it also resembles garlands of fruits, and many of the amber pendants are carved in the shape of pomegranates. A flood wiped out this early stratum of the temple, preserving the pendants and a Syrian ivory plaque with the tree of life, but not the wooden xoanon of the goddess. "

"Numerous statues survive of a Black Artemis , like this Roman copy of the original Ephesian goddess in the Musei Capitolini. Late copies also adopt the mural (city walls) crown popular in the Hellenistic period. It was originally an attribute of Syrian Tyche, goddess of Fortune. "

museicapitolini.jpg

Timeshifter

Reactions
Whatever the multi breasted lady is pearched on appears to have faces of children? Do we have any writing or evidence of what this part represents? On this version at least..

arms-of-the-foundling-hospital.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
J

jd755

Reactions
Actually all I posted for was to weedle out information outside of the evil wikiwakiallmadeup and I'm glad to see most folks obliged.
This figure could have been invented by anyone at any time. Certainly there is no way to date anything and naming it Diana or Artemis or anything else has to be seen as the guess it is of whoever named the thing.

To illustrate here's another not actually Diana or Artemis, apparently, but Kybele or Cebele who is a mother goddess of Anatolia or maybe Phrygia. Hard Impossible to tell who made it up first. CYBELE (Kybele) - Phrygian Goddess, Mother of the Gods

4f6368ab42881d887e21e702023f8c77.jpg

Pergamenic cybele with consecration of Neikephoros. Cult image of the goddess, who was especially worshiped during the reign of the Attalids in Pergamon (283 - 133 BC). She is wearing the long chiton and the coat. Under the breast she wears a triangular apron, on which are arranged ten humps symbolizing the divine Tetractys (precursors of the "breasts" of the Ephesian Artemis). On both sides of the goddess, two sitting lions. (Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Antikensammlung)

It's beginning to look to me everything I read or was told is history is all made up. By who, when and why I have no idea but there it is.

For those interested in staying away from wikiwakiallmadeup here's an article on hubpages about the mother goddess. I find it interesting.

Here's the original arms sketch of William Hoggarth for the Foundling Hospital. Hoggarth incidentally was probably a Freemason. Bet you're surprised!

Foundling-Museum-0218.jpg

Then again who can tell their gods from their devils?
William Hogarth - A Freemason's Harlot
07demonxtyghvb07_465_613_int.jpg

Edit to correct strikethrough nonsense. The editor or this browser has gotten very buggy of late.

Last edited:

Recognition

Reactions
@KorbenDallas thread Hypothesis: Mutiny in the Sky or the Short History of the World
really seems to connect with this discussion of diana ephesus.

This picture which i could not find an explanation of, anywhere, called 'diana and the slaves' gives us an idea of what happened to the adults.

IMG_6520.JPG

IMG_6519.JPG

When you consider our discussion about clones and the very lablike look of diana ephesus' body, starts to look like the desirable humans on earth would have been clones. At least according to whomever was running the labs.

Speaking of labs, look at this imageof it being built:
IMG_6527.JPG

Listed as:
  • Artist: Marten de Vos (Flemish, 1532–1603)
  • Title: The building of the Temple of Diana at Ephesus, a king overseeing the progress, 1603–1603
This painting looks more set in the present day for this painter. The clothes remind me of the elizabethan or tudor fashion.

More paintings of temple:
IMG_6521.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG

When you consider the almost sci-fi look to ms ephesus, things start to get interesting.

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG_6523.JPG

Last pic supports idea of her being a machine imo

Recognition

Reactions
I think it came across somewhere that she was some type of a slave protector.

I’ve also read recently that no man was allowed to enter her temple. I’m not sure if they meant a male, or a human though.
'Or human'😧 def some dead ladies in there

Red Bird

Reactions
Here's the original arms sketch of William Hoggarth for the Foundling Hospital. Hoggarth incidentally was probably a Freemason. Bet you're surprised!
Well I’d already stated what we all know, on the other thread.

The crsent moon & stars are also a Shriners emblems. The lamb is a Freemason emblem. Masons have long established orphanages and still do (also widows). You can google them, and I was surprised there are still so many in the US, also children’s hospitals, of course.

furthermore they are notably presently involved in DNA collecting.
Why Are the Freemasons Collecting Our Children's DNA? (Sep. 27, 2012)
Also the always present Twin ‘studies’ and fascination.

Theses days (as always was) we must also consider any collecting of children and vulnerable women most likely involved in the sex slave industry. Also a good source of victims for satanic ritual abuse as nobody will miss them. You might say there is a vested interest in having orphans, foster kids, breakup of families, isolating people..

Even nbc has reported, but pick your number, it’s big and profitable.
Sex slavery: Living the American nightmare

Then you have this
Multi-faith committee set up to spread Pope Francis’ claim that God wills ‘diversity of religions’
A multi-faith “higher committee” was announced this week to implement the “Human Fraternity” document signed by Pope Francis and a Grand Imam in February that stated, among other things, that a “pluralism and diversity” of religions is “willed by God.”

Red Bird

Reactions
Isis (Catholic Mary), Ishtar, Artemis, Diana, Sophia, etc. Queens of Heaven
Gnostic Christians called their Wisdom-Goddess Sophia, and frequently identified her with Diana of Ephesus. When Diana's temple was finally pulled down, its magnificent porphyry pillars were carried to Constantinople and built into the church of Holy Sophia. From available evidence, Diana had been a Latin and Sabine divinity from an older era.
*there is no such thing as gnostic Christians BTW

Today’s machine goddess Sophia
There’s nothing really there. Just an icon for our new AI overlord, who is ‘not looking for world domination’

1566785558656.jpeg

We’ve gone baphometically (my word) androgynous as is our lady liberty who looks to be Mithras, who was the bull god and so is Diana it seems as you guys caught up above. Both of them coincidentally mentioned in relation to the beginning of Christianity.
Article from the New York Times. Hmmm. They even have the picture.
In Search of Diana of Ephesus

Even more confounding is the scholarly proposal that the "breasts" the Ephesian Diana wears in such profusion are actually not breasts at all but bulls' testicles. In 1979 a classicist named Gerard Seitele pointed out that none of her appendages had nipples, that the steer was symbolic of fruitfulness and its testes were, too, that there was an altar at Ephesus large enough to sacrifice a steer on. In short, for centuries the world has blithely misunderstood the goddess, whose cult figure was in effect a kind of cross-dresser at the most basic level.

I just noticed the above quote says STEER not bull. Weird.
Steer definition is - a male bovine animal and especially a domestic ox (Bos taurus) castrated before sexual maturity.
Mistake of city slicker or other meaning?

Last edited: