Dating old photographs

Apollyon

Reactions
How is it done? This post wont be me explaining anything but simply pointing something out. That something is the false confidence with which historians will give a specific date to a photo. There's never an attempt to explain where the date came from, they wont allow any room for debate and more often than not these dates come directly from the bureaucracies of the world not objective historians.

What got me thinking about This is i'm perusing a selection of images from Boston

Digital Commonwealth - Images

I noticed something that to me seems odd. Many of these images have dates ascribed to them in a range of 60 years or more.

Old Merchants Exchange Building, 53 State Street

How does that help us understand these photos? Why 60 years? why not 70 years? 80 years? or 100?

This is just a cautionary tale that if a specific date is given for a photograph it may be a completely meaningless arbitrary or even political date.

Further reading

Here is an article where the author uses fashion to move these 1940s photos towards their correct chronology possibly as late as 1970

In this one the same author uses a calendar in the background to properly date the great depression

Last edited:

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Fashion is a big lead there. I’m specifically interested in what other time frame demonstrates fashion similar to 1905-ish photographs.

PrincepAugus

Reactions
Speaking of fashion, I would love to see a thread about hidden fashion. xD

whitewave

Reactions
Most of those photos are of one family, presumably in the Appalachians. I've been to the Appalachians in the last decade and you can still see places and people that look and live like this.
Our family wasn't considered poor but I remember as a child bathing in tubs and hanging laundry out to dry even in the snow. As a very young child we were poor and lived in a place called Mulligan Flats (near what is now downtown Oklahoma City). It has since been condemned and paved over but even the ramshackle hovels were whitewashed, the yards were kept picked up and mowed, people's home interiors were kept clean and guests were always served something to eat on your best dishes. People were horrified and greatly insulted to be offered "charity". Willingness to work was considered one of the greatest virtues and unwillingness to work was worse than drunkenness. We were not allowed to wear jeans in public; mini skirts would elicit a beating from grandma, gloves and hats were considered essential wear for any public function and only "white trash" would allow themselves to be seen in public without such accouterments. Grandma would say, "You may have to be poor but you don't have to be dirty or ignorant so go take your bath and do your homework!" :) It was a different era with different values. Now, we call "poor" those that don't have a tv in every room. Dogs in this country eat and live better than most people in 3rd world countries.

Red Bird

Reactions
In the star tower thread I commented on how the French, woman ‘adventurer’ seemed dressed from the late 1800’s/early 1900’s:
Okay that's pretty paranoid but I'll go one further. It struck me in the video that she wears sort of 19th century white, high collar shirts and her hair piled in that style, too. I originally thought it was her 'Explorer' look, like we associate with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Could be, but then thinking about it, was more like a farce, a play, a 're-enactment' (like Raiders, or perhaps the Civil War?).

whitewave

Reactions
It, was more like a farce, a play, a 're-enactment' (like Raiders, or perhaps the Civil War?).

You're probably right about it being a re-enactment. The printed shirt of the person to her left is not something from the 19th century, nor is the green shirt of the guy to her right.

Red Bird

Reactions
You're probably right about it being a re-enactment. The printed shirt of the person to her left is not something from the 19th century, nor is the green shirt of the guy to her right.
Yeah, not a great example but I took a screen shot in the video to get this picture. It was more the overall thought I had while watching it.
What I also mentioned that while the purpose of her group is to preserve it actually results more in advertising and they state even more star towers have been dismantled since- in tartaria.
Post automatically merged:

Here’s an article about movies made of the civil war around 1900. Maybe this is where the pictures come from.
The Crisis: A Civil War Silent Film - Ricochet

Photograph taken during the filming of a battle scene for The Crisis. (Author’s Collection)

I will say we have writings from my gggrandfather who was a union soldier/Arkansas. He was still alive when my mother was little. Such a short time really. We should be able to figure this out.

Last edited: