Creatures Depicted in Ancient Art

Ishtar

Reactions
Well, thanks, I think. There are about 50 other sites with that same picture (& same scale) and I looked through all of them to find one that was small enough to upload to this site. Could they all be photoshopped? I really can't distinguish photoshopped pics and don't know what to look for.
It’s part of a contest....look at the rest of the pictures on that page

Onthebit

Reactions
OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
Strange newes of a prodigious monster borne in the towneship of Allington in the parish of Standish in the Countie of Lancaster, the 17. day of Aprill last, 1613. Testified by the reuerend diuine Mr. W. Leigh, Bachelor of Diuinitie, and preacher of Gods word at Standish aforesaid.
Read that whole piece and, apparently, the parents were physically branded for producing a monster-an obvious result of their "sins". It mentions several other monsters born during that time frame, in Russia as well as England but claims that England had the most monsters born. Most of the deformities were of extra arms but one was mentioned as having one head with 2 faces. Ergot poisoning?

"Bastard slippes shall neuer take deepe roote: which was showne in the example of this Monster, the father and mother whereof were both branded, shee with the marke of Ba∣sterdy, and from her Parents crimes in Adulte∣ry, indured this punishment: he of very lewde carriage and conditions".

Jim Duyer

Reactions
This clear difference between the 15th and 16th centuries art contents has been baffling me for while. I have no reasonable answer to this issue. It is supposed to mean something, but what?
Was there an even bigger, almost huge slip in the timeline in our more distant past? Take a look at the art work from 35,000 years ago in France. It is so good that it would make some of our masters look like beginners. And even more puzzling is the chemical compositions of the paints that they used - I had a chemist friend give me a breakdown on the ingredients published by the archaeologists, and he was astounded at their complexity. Then, about 15,000 years ago, we find some later art work in caves in both France and Spain. They look like a 3 year old drew them. What happened? Why does the archaeologically supported 35K work look so much different than the 15K, unless something caused the earth to flip its surface over like a pancake, and thus we get radiocarbon dates on materials surrounding this work that actually should represent the later work, since they were flipped?

Onthebit

Reactions
Read that whole piece and, apparently, the parents were physically branded for producing a monster-an obvious result of their "sins". It mentions several other monsters born during that time frame, in Russia as well as England but claims that England had the most monsters born. Most of the deformities were of extra arms but one was mentioned as having one head with 2 faces. Ergot poisoning?

"Bastard slippes shall neuer take deepe roote: which was showne in the example of this Monster, the father and mother whereof were both branded, shee with the marke of Ba∣sterdy, and from her Parents crimes in Adulte∣ry, indured this punishment: he of very lewde carriage and conditions".
Yes some kind of poisoning that caused a rash of horrible birth defects. Side effects of a weapon? I think 'we' did something that shook the foundations of life on this earth but that's for another thread and so I suppose should this excerpt.

jd755

Reactions
Last edited:

Starmonkey

Reactions
I just can't believe that those Monty Python butt trumpet images actually have some kind of historical basis. What it is, I have no idea, but If I ever meet John Cleese, I'll ask him.
Monty Python AND Dante's Inferno. Was one of my favorite lines reading it during my adolescence.
"And he made a trumpet of his ass."
Post automatically merged:

Synchronous with the instance of me picking up "The Garden of Earthly Delights" as interpreted by Peter S Beagle of "The Last Unicorn" authorship.
Edgar Cayce and some others were under the notion that ATLANTIS or somebody was responsible for wiping out a lot of the saurids with their technology. As well as terraforming, geoforming... Took it TOO FAR. Genetic manipulation up the wazoo too.

Last edited:

Recognition

Reactions
Picture too big to post. This was during the time of Charlemagne (742-814).

Mer people 1642

View attachment 14647
4th century depiction of naked winged kid
riding some aquatic dog-headed horse.

View attachment 14648
medieval map drawing of the polar region.

View attachment 14650
Was fishing naked a national past time?

View attachment 14653
Clearing the land of dinosaurs.​

shaking hands with dinosaurs? How big were these ancient peoples? They look awfully calm considering there's a t-rex standing in front of them with his mouth open.

map critters "Despite their wild appearance, many of these creatures were based on real animals."

View attachment 14661
View attachment 14662
16th century Persia from The Wonders of Creation by Zakariya al-Qazwini

View attachment 14655
werewolf?

View attachment 14656
Saw another one of these odd creatures
on a map the other day, too.

View attachment 14658
View attachment 14657
The monster of Ravenna 1554 (A different site says 1634)

View attachment 14659
View attachment 14660
What are they trying to tell us with this one?​

There are many more like these that are categorized as if to depict them scientifically. Makes me wonder if there was someone capable of genetic manipulation way back when. Surely these creatures are not in any way natural and I'm reluctant to believe that all the various artists going to all the trouble to make woodcuts of them are just madmen. Especially when there are more than one (or 10) different artists drawing or carving the same type creatures. Definitely something strange in the middle ages.
I

This creature with the face on his chest is mentioned in some other thread here, I'm positive. Like an explorer or native people's spoke about a beast with a mouth on it's chest? I'll look for it!

Casimir

Reactions
This creature with the face on his chest is mentioned in some other thread here
This is specifically the post that came to mind as I saw the headless. I too, swear there's another that's essentially a collection of humans with wild physiology (hyrbids, headless, etc)