Creatures Depicted in Ancient Art

whitewave

Reactions
KD mentioned mythological artwork from the 15th century compared to "realism" of 16th century art so, of course, I had to check it out. What I found was mostly religiously themed artworks but some of the paintings were beyond bizarre. A 15th century selection for your viewing enjoyment follows.

Is he presenting information/scripture to the bishop?
1542572679090.png

Don't drink the wine!
1542574120228.png

Winged musicians
1542574408021.png

wth?
1542575569621.png

Are they trying to tell us something?
1542576035770.png1542576035770.png

Beam me up, Scotty.
1542576310718.png

St Francis and St. George killing chupacabra.
1542577350901.png
This is what happens when you can't watch tv.
1542579989856.png

Just a girl and her ubnicorn
1542581571189.png

Who were they fighting?!
1542583649959.png

"Fairies" stealing children?
1542584130025.png

Temptation of St. Anthony
1542584906016.png

Temptation of St. Anthony.
(bet he won't be tempted to eat those mushrooms again)
1542585063982.png

St. Margaret.
1542585354738.png

I fully expected to see David Bowie in this one.
(J/K. This is from a modern artist)
1542573645829.png

Did the Renaissance painters do a lot of psychedelics or could some of these depictions be actually witnessed creatures? All pics from here.

Last edited:

Jef Demolder

Reactions
Well, I have an opinion on this, and give it for what it's worth. The gods (a human like species, but smarter and more spiritual than humans) determined civilization in the Ancient World. Most gods disappeared with the great world catastrophe in the period 1350-1450, primary recovery period included (I maintain this datation against other hypotheses among chronology critics). A small part of the divine population survived, and continued for some time to have a decisive role. From 1450 on, there is a kind of double layer in Western civilization, a divine layer and a human layer. The mythological paintings belong to the divine layer. The "daily life" paintings belong to the new, human civilization. Also the severe/dogmatic christian paintings belong to the human layer. Some artists worked for the two. This is the case with Pieter Breugel. And also with another compatriot of me, Pieter Paul Rubens. One day he painted this.

rubens-01.jpg

And the other day he painted this (without having any problems with the Inquisition)

rubens-03.jpg

OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
Yes, there's a site that's called Decoding Ancient Artists (or something like that) that says artists sometimes put little clues/Easter eggs in their works to keep from getting skewered by the RCC but still have some artistic license. From my understanding of artists of that time, they were commissioned to paint certain themes; they didn't just paint something and hope to sell it, they were hired to paint a specific painting. If so, you gotta wonder who in their right mind would commission some of these?

trismegistus

Reactions
Mike McClelland was on The Higherside Chats recently (highly recommended for anyone on this forum btw), where he was talking about owls and their connection to UFO/ET experiences. Simply put, when ET implant a screen memory it typically comes in the form of an owl. However, there are also witnesses who experience real owls in combination with a UFO/ET experience.

Owls hold a lot of symbology - secret societies, folklore, mythology, the list goes on. It is curious that one is depicted here alongside a very strange hybrid shrew-man-thing. Perhaps this is a veiled attempt at depicting an ET experience through a very bizarre commissioned portrait? I can't imagine whoever commissioned this would have had this in mind, unless for a very specific reason.

Moriarty

Reactions
Well, I have an opinion on this, and give it for what it's worth. The gods (a human like species, but smarter and more spiritual than humans) determined civilization in the Ancient World. Most gods disappeared with the great world catastrophe in the period 1350-1450, primary recovery period included (I maintain this datation against other hypotheses among chronology critics). A small part of the divine population survived, and continued for some time to have a decisive role. From 1450 on, there is a kind of double layer in Western civilization, a divine layer and a human layer. The mythological paintings belong to the divine layer. The "daily life" paintings belong to the new, human civilization. Also the severe/dogmatic christian paintings belong to the human layer. Some artists worked for the two. This is the case with Pieter Breugel. And also with another compatriot of me, Pieter Paul Rubens. One day he painted this.

And the other day he painted this (without having any problems with the Inquisition)

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! And it certainly looks like he didn't either. I think your theory sounds pretty plausible
Mike McClelland was on The Higherside Chats recently (highly recommended for anyone on this forum btw), where he was talking about owls and their connection to UFO/ET experiences. Simply put, when ET implant a screen memory it typically comes in the form of an owl. However, there are also witnesses who experience real owls in combination with a UFO/ET experience.

Owls hold a lot of symbology - secret societies, folklore, mythology, the list goes on. It is curious that one is depicted here alongside a very strange hybrid shrew-man-thing. Perhaps this is a veiled attempt at depicting an ET experience through a very bizarre commissioned portrait? I can't imagine whoever commissioned this would have had this in mind, unless for a very specific reason.
An owl is Minerva, which is also symbolic of the godess Athena who amongst other things was the godess of wisdom. So its placement in the paintings could be a secret symbol of hidden knowledge

An owl is also worshipped at Bohemian Grove and is sometimes misinterpreted as Moloch, which I don't believe it is. Could be wrong though

Last edited:

trismegistus

Reactions
Did humans live along side dinosaurs?
Funny how this idea is typically associated with those crazy Evangelical Christians...

That being said, I'm fairly positive their interpretation is incorrect - - the Earth is hopefully more than 6000 years old.

I have some theories about this:

1. Completely fabricated artifacts to further some type of narrative

2. Artifacts are actually millions of years old to line up with the dinosaurs on our planet

3. Dinosaurs went extinct much more recently than we thought

4. Artifacts are thousands of years old, but the depictions are based off stories heard from a race of beings that existed millions of years ago

Novusod

Reactions
5. Past Civilizations were advanced enough to have an understanding of paleontology. Our own civilization is fairly obsessed with dinosaurs (See Jurassic Park movies, King Kong, Flintstones, etc) because of our scientific advancement. America creates plenty of "dinosaur" artifacts for future generations to dig up. So what will the future think of us? It is reasonable to believe other advanced civilizations in the distant past would have shared the shame enthusiasm for dinos. These artifacts further the case that scientifically advanced civilizations existed in the distant past.

MeNTaLMoNKeY

Reactions
KD mentioned mythological artwork from the 15th century compared to "realism" of 16th century art so, of course, I had to check it out. What I found was mostly religiously themed artworks but some of the paintings were beyond bizarre. A 15th century selection for your viewing enjoyment follows.
Temptation of St. Anthony
View attachment 12671
Those are some truly messed up pictures. Sorry for my mind being in the gutter, but couldn't help but notice some odd behavior in that St Anthony picture.
This guy appears to be playing a horn with his butt while a bird is riding him:
StAnthonyButts1.PNG

Is that a frog holding this guy upside down, who's also apparently playing a horn with his butt:
StAnthonyButts2.PNG

This guy is hanging upside down from a tree while his butt has eyes and it looks like there's a big tongue as well:
StAnthonyButts3.PNG

These are definitely weird pictures, no butts about it. Thanks for sharing, Whitewave. I'll try to pull my head out of the gutter now... :giggle:

OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
I look at pictures like this and wonder if they're trying to tell us something and, if so, what in the world could it be? That or they really need to identify those mushrooms before eating them. Who would have commissioned such paintings and for what reason?
Did humans live along side dinosaurs?
I think we did but I'm not educated in the accepted narrative/dogma. Do we really think bones can survive for millions of years? When the giants' bones were dug up, they remained intact (identifiable as giant humans) until the air hit them, then they crumbled to dust (most of them). How much older are dinosaur bones-supposedly-than giants? Wouldn't they have biodegraded into their component chemicals after MILLIONS of years of exposure to the elements?
I don't think the dinosaur extinction happened 65 million years ago. Some cataclysmic event seems to have happened then but I doubt it wiped out the dinosaurs. Either that or human beings have been around that long (if we can trust the dating methods).

Last edited:

BrokenAgate

Reactions
What in the world is going on in these paintings?? Looks like all of the artists took a voyage to trip-out city and overstayed their welcome. None of them show the Church in a favorable light, as they seem to indicate sone sort of collution between Christianity and the devil. It's a wonder the artists weren't excommunicated, at the very least. That leads me to think that there must be some other meaning. Could the weird creatures be a garbled memory of reptilian species that once co-existed with humans?

OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
Was searching on Wiki yesterday and one of the pictures showed a seated bishop with a book in one hand and some dog-sized reptilian fire-breathing creature at his feet. It was a wikipage on one of the bible translators but my computer crashed with all those tabs open and now I can't remember who it was.
There certainly is some strange art of the time and you have to wonder what in the world they were trying to depict. My bet is on mushrooms but that's only because I have no other explanation for the bizarre nature of the "art".

BrokenAgate

Reactions
That could be a salamander, which was depicted as living in fire. You'll see them often in heraldry. As to what they symbolize, I think it means resurrection/rebirth. I also think there is another meaning that has been forgotten or hidden, maybe an alchemical one.

OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
Could the weird creatures be a garbled memory of reptilian species that once co-existed with humans?
Picture too big to post. This was during the time of Charlemagne (742-814).

Mer people 1642

1546031094230.png

4th century depiction of naked winged kid
riding some aquatic dog-headed horse.​

1546031389222.png

medieval map drawing of the polar region.​

1546031541153.png

Was fishing naked a national past time?

1546032734478.png

Clearing the land of dinosaurs.​

shaking hands with dinosaurs? How big were these ancient peoples? They look awfully calm considering there's a t-rex standing in front of them with his mouth open.

map critters "Despite their wild appearance, many of these creatures were based on real animals."

1546038208026.png

1546038636355.png

16th century Persia from The Wonders of Creation by Zakariya al-Qazwini​

1546035893217.png

werewolf?​

1546036294106.png

Saw another one of these odd creatures
on a map the other day, too.​

1546036592049.png

1546036417554.png

The monster of Ravenna 1554 (A different site says 1634)​

1546036645205.png

1546036967604.png

What are they trying to tell us with this one?​

There are many more like these that are categorized as if to depict them scientifically. Makes me wonder if there was someone capable of genetic manipulation way back when. Surely these creatures are not in any way natural and I'm reluctant to believe that all the various artists going to all the trouble to make woodcuts of them are just madmen. Especially when there are more than one (or 10) different artists drawing or carving the same type creatures. Definitely something strange in the middle ages.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
definitely photoshopped.

The rest of your post is intriguing. 😀
Well, thanks, I think. There are about 50 other sites with that same picture (& same scale) and I looked through all of them to find one that was small enough to upload to this site. Could they all be photoshopped? I really can't distinguish photoshopped pics and don't know what to look for.