Cave Symbols

Bald Eagle

Reactions
Why are these 32 symbols found in caves all over Europe?

Paleoanthropologist and rock art researcher Genevieve von Petzinger has studied and codified these ancient markings in caves across Europe. The uniformity of her findings suggest that graphic communication, and the ability to preserve and transmit messages beyond a single moment in time, may be much older than we think.

esgee1

Reactions
Language via spoken word and writing is fascinating. There's so many ways language has evolved over time as is evident in the various cultures present on Earth today. Perhaps these "ice age" survivors were recording important knowledge/info via these symbols so they wouldn't forget something. And the original meaning, aka context, of these symbols is now lost to us.

That was a fascinating video. Thanks for sharing it. Cheers!

RecycledSoul

Reactions
I’m still in the process of watching the vid, & im only about halfway through. I wanted to point out a couple things that popped into my mind. She claims Humans are the first to intelligently leave a sign and know what’s going on. I digress. If I sniff the fire hydrant on the corner in front of my house, I don’t know whether or not my neighbor down the road Bobby’s dog was the last animal there, but my dog JW does. Animals have had that going for a while. Also, If I walk down to the railroad trestle a year from now, & there is new graffiti I didn’t see last year, it doesn’t mean it was always there and nobody noticed it. I feel this ties into the recent SH thread in regard to being able to decipher language. There is too much speculation, and not enough context.

I also feel that possibly mud flood pinched off some of these caves, maybe the artist was originally standing up where she had to lay?

Furthermore, something drove humans deep into the caves. Environmental, maybe. The fact that an animal viewed them as dinner? Possibly.

If I went and traced my hand today, what would you thin if you found that paper 500 yrs from now? Maybe I was just teaching my Granddaughter how to trace an object? Maybe my wife saw it as a treasure map? Too much speculation, again. My hand was throbbing with pain from a spider bite...

Last edited:

Red Bird

Reactions
This might be interesting theory of language to some:

Since Indo-Europeans have for some reason maintained the evident relationships in their particular family of languages -- and the same observation applies within the Semitic languages � it is not surprising that even though they have spread so widely they have continued to share a certain way of looking at things: Indo-Europeans philosophically with an emphasis upon the abstract and the Semites with their emphasis upon behaviour from a more transcendental point of view. But what shall we say of the Hamites? From all over the world, wherever they are found and wherever linguists have examined their speech forms and the philosophy of their grammar (to use Jespersen's term), the witness is the same. Their view of the world is an entirely practical one, rooted in the present, wise in a canny sort of way, specific, particular, uninterested in the abstract, inventive, always creating new words or new terms for things, interested in particulars rather than categories, earthy, and very largely disinterested in unlikely possibilities. While we may think of primitive people as being less truthful than ourselves � and most if not all "primitive" people known to us have belonged within the family of Ham � the fact of the matter is quite the reverse. They find it difficult to think hypothetically, to do what every scientist must do, i.e., to tell lies deliberately. If asked a hypothetical question they will not answer it but reject the question as not applicable. Asked how many apples, for example, we would have between us if he had two and I had two, a native would not say "four" but more probably, "Well, I do not have two apples!"
In a recent communication, Miss Beatrice Myers, a missionary attending the Summer Institute of Linguistics (U.S.A.) said that on one occasion she asked a Cheyenne Indian how he would say, "This is your house." His reply was: "If you owned the house, I wouldn't have to tell you, so I wouldn't say it!" (64) Similarly, the Hopi will speak of ten men because one can actually have ten men: but they would not speak of ten days because one cannot have ten days. Such a concept as a negative number is quite absurd, unless it is seen as a practical indebtedness in economic, or some other such terms. We shall have occasion shortly to docnment these observations extensively. In the meantime it may be observed that while the family of Indo-European languages is readily identifiable as a family, and the Semitic as a family, this does not apply at all to the third group of languages, the Harnitic. The fact is that Hamites have been so inventive that they invent terms with equal facility, and their languages are in such a constant state of flux that within a few generations even tribes living just across a river from each other will find themselves scarcely able to converse any longer. (65) It is the same strange proliferating tendency which prevented the Egyptians, Hittites, Sumerians, Chinese, and Central American Indians from developing an alphabetical script, even though the numbers of signs they were creating multiplied almost astronomically.